The Student Room Group

RE GCSE

Hi, I was wondering... is it easy? Also would I have an advantage as I am also of a religion/faith that is being studied???
Original post by zimzim40
Hi, I was wondering... is it easy? Also would I have an advantage as I am also of a religion/faith that is being studied???

Personally, I found it very easy :smile: it's mostly just memorisation, and I think that would help, yes :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Oh, I'm realy good at memorisation, so do you have to understand it or can you get an A just by memorisation!
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
Personally, I found it very easy :smile: it's mostly just memorisation, and I think that would help, yes :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I'm realy good at memorisation, so do you have to understand it or can you get an A just by memorisation! Post rating: 0

Oh, I'm realy good at memorisation, so do you have to understand it or can you get an A just by memorisation! Post rating: 0

You'll be fine then :smile: for my board there was no understanding whatsoever, you just need to be aware of the beliefs of certain religions, their views on issues such as abortion, life after death, euthanasia, alcohol, capital punishment, their teachings etc :smile:
I found it really easy. I didn't even complete the paper and managed to still pass it.
had to that in year 10 (but have to do it again because we're doing a full course now) but anyway received an A* in that, RE's really easy, just memorise quotes and learn their beliefs, i recommend referring to 2-3 religions, it helped me but hey we're all different.
Reply 7
It's not like English literature is it? and what board were all of you???

Not at all :smile: I was with edexcel :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was getting B's and C's all year until I revised properly once for my real exam and got a*

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's pretty easy, but make sure you do revision for it - most people at my school just didn't bother because it was 'easy' and didn't do very well. They passed, but rarely with anything higher than a B. I was with Edexcel by the way (units 1 and 8). If you are studying the same religion as you follow, you might be at a bit of an advantage, though as a Christian I didn't find the Islam areas particularly difficult. As with pretty much every GCSE exam, it's just a list of facts you need to learn - get those sorted and you'll excel. English and Maths are the main exceptions to this subject I think.

i wouldn't think so. english lit is more of a analytical subject, i guess you can analyse certain religious quotes and refer them to your answers. AQA :bl:
Reply 12
I was forced to do RE by school. 2 years of teaching, revision on the day, and came out with an A (one of my friends did no revision and got an A*)

I did Edexcel units 1 & 8 - most of it was memorisation, knowing bible quotes and common sense (EG 'What is the UK law on abortion, 8 marks) The harder paper was the paper was the Islam paper - purely because we only covered Islam in year 11, whereas we'd done Christianity all the way through school.

I would say you have to be careful though, it's so easy, the grade boundaries are ridiculously high.

It's very easy once you know how to answer the questions! Most of it is common sense! I got an A on Edexcel this summer and was probably one of the easiet GCSEs I took and I'm not even religious!
It's pretty easy if you learn a variety of views and loads of quotes. I did OCR and got an A*, and I only started revising 2 days before the exam. Generally I stuck by my policy of make up something vaguely convincing and link it to lots of other stuff you have previously mentioned. You'll definitely be fine.
It's pretty easy. Idk what exam board you're on (I did AQA), but for us we had a mix of short one-sentence answers, 3-4 mark questions, and longer essay questions - for the longer questions, as long as you come up with one religious teaching or reason per mark you'll do fine. It's almost like bullet-pointing (don't actually use bullet points though, use paragraphs) - essentially, all you have to do it write one statement after another, with an explanation why that teaching is for/against something.

Spoiler

Also would I have an advantage as I am also of a religion/faith that is being studied???

Definitely! You can use other teachings you know from your religion that may not have been taught to the rest of the class, and should already know all the main ones used in the syllabus. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest