The Student Room Group

Media Studies GCSE

What is media studies about and is it easy and is the coursework easy???
Reply 1
I'm going in Year 11, next week.
I've been doing Media for a year now, since Year 10.

The coursework is very easy, in my opinion.
You get three assignments.

Mine were:

Assignment 1 - November - January (Early Feb)

We had to choose two DVD Covers and Analyse them.
It's not that hard, but it needs to be detailed and you must explain how it appeals to the audience and what it shows.
Then we had to make our own DVD Cover, using our own images on Photoshop.

Assignment 2 - February - July

This one was quiet harder compared to Assignment 1.
We were given an option sheet of different kinds of media in which we had to choose one.
Which ever media platform you chose, you could not do the same for Assignment 3.
After you chose the media platform. You will then choose a product and compare it across two other platforms.
For example, if you choose advertising. You will compare a TV advert and a billboard advert and how they differ. You must write up to 1000 words.

Then for the second part you must create a story board for a 30 second advert of your choice.

Assignment 3 - Beginning of Year 11

I am starting at the beginning of Year 11.

I think Assignment 3 is from September to November.
Then after November in Year 11, you will be taught about the real exam and have study classes. Then you will sit the exam at the end of Year 11.

(This depends on which exam board your doing, I'm doing AQA, it might be different to other schools)

OVERALL,

It was very fun. Occasionally our teacher gave us mini tasks to do for fun.
Our first media lesson, we watched a few movies. And made a perfume advert, to get us into filming and editing.
During Halloween, we were given a task, where we had to make our own horror trailers, and show them to the class.
You get more as well.

You work on computers 90% of the time.
Either editing on Photoshop or Adobe Pro. Or finishing analysis coursework.

It's nothing too hard. The good thing is we never had a media mock exam, in Year 10.
:smile:

In Year 10, its mostly practical work. In Year 11, it becomes more exam orientated.

I'm not sure too much about Year 11, as I have not experienced it.

Difficulty Rating = 5/10 (My opinion, but you need to think a lot. It helps if your good at English, as it's very similar)
Enjoyment Rating = 8/10 (You do get the odd dull lesson, once in a while.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zimzim40
What is media studies about and is it easy and is the coursework easy???

media studies is basically understand the media, analysing and interpreting media texts and learning about production skills. there's a lot of analysing when it comes to media.

the coursework is easy somewhat, it lasted us for 3-6 months??? and we had to analyse charity adverts, talk about camera work, editing, soundtrack etc and then we had to create our own print advert. With that, we had to show our planning and work we put into creating our advert and talk about our final product. Also, if you're picking media studies just to watch films continuously well you're in luck. However, after watching the films you have to write about it and do a lot of exam tasks based on it. What board are you doing???
Reply 3
I thought it's a 1 year course
Reply 4
and how many exams are there???
I thought it's a 1 year course

All full GCSE courses are two years long. Do you live in a world where you can't google 'GCSE media studies' to find out how many exams there are?
and how many exams are there???

depends on what board you're doing
Reply 7
Original post by Pectorac
All full GCSE courses are two years long. Do you live in a world where you can't google 'GCSE media studies' to find out how many exams there are?

Hi, Einstein, yeah, it doesn't seem that google is opinionated and has any experience!
I hope you're not doing it because its easy.

Quick Reply

Latest