The Student Room Group

Should an independent Scotland adopt a different language?

I was thinking Scottish Gaelic or French.

Scotland and France are united in their hatred of the English and lots of Scottish words come from the French like dour and Scottish Gaelic is the native language of the Scots.

Scroll to see replies

Not sure it is that practical.

The Irish are trying to do the same thing and they still haven't got it right.
Reply 2
There is a movement towards Scottish Gaelic.

I guess that would be an issue for an independent Scotland to decide.
Reply 3
Won't happen.
I'd love to make Scots an official language. Its already spoken in parliament on rare occasions.
Won't happen. Language use is something that evolves naturally over time. Plus native English is more of an asset, there's a reason Irish and Welsh people aren't all fluent Irish and welsh
Reply 6
Original post by Maker

Scotland and France are united in their hatred of the English and lots of Scottish words come from the French like dour and Scottish Gaelic is the native language of the Scots.

Of course not, what a waste of resources that would be.

By all means pay for a language lesson at a community center but I see little reason to burden the taxpayer for a language which will be spoken by no more than a few million people.
Original post by Rakas21
Of course not, what a waste of resources that would be.

By all means pay for a language lesson at a community center but I see little reason to burden the taxpayer for a language which will be spoken by no more than a few million people.

Yeah not like any government or devolved assembly has ever wasted money on trying to get people to speak a language, be more proud and embrace national traditions before is it?

*cough* WAG *cough*
Reply 8
Original post by Sanctimonious
Yeah not like any government or devolved assembly has ever wasted money on trying to get people to speak a language, be more proud and embrace national traditions before is it?

*cough* WAG *cough*

Yup, the sooner we abolish that failing Welsh Assembly the better.
if they vote for independence then screw the scottish and everything they stand for. i love the UNITED KINGDOM. and if they are no longer apart of it i dont want to share anything with those traitors
Original post by Maker

Erm, no. Scots is the 'native' language of the Scots but all Scots speak English and will continue to use it. Half the population speaks Scots. Barely any speaks Gaelic. Why even bother making it defacto? It wasn't even historically spoken in half of Scotland anyway.

Your comments about the English are either incredibly outdated or bigoted.
Reply 11
Original post by Makaveli_The_Don
if they vote for independence then screw the scottish and everything they stand for. i love the UNITED KINGDOM. and if they are no longer apart of it i dont want to share anything with those traitors

So you would change your language? What would you use? Spanish?

Would you drive on the right too?
Original post by Quady
So you would change your language? What would you use? Spanish?

Would you drive on the right too?

i already speak spanish at home? wtf r u on about man
Reply 13
ken what mate naw dinnae think so ya wee gadgie.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
i already speak spanish at home? wtf r u on about man

Yeah but out and about if you're not going to share a language (or anything else, like the side of the road you drive on)
Original post by Quady
Yeah but out and about if you're not going to share a language (or anything else, like the side of the road you drive on)

what does this have to do with anythin when im english? born here just my mom is colombian and my papa is pakistani but im british. english. solid. if the scots dont want to be british anymore then **** them.
what does this have to do with anythin when im english? born here just my mom is colombian and my papa is pakistani but im british. english. solid. if the scots dont want to be british anymore then **** them.

Judging by your writing, you seem to have already stopped using English in some kind of anticipatory protest.
Reply 17

So are you going to share a language with them, or are you going to stop using English?
Original post by Quady
So are you going to share a language with them, or are you going to stop using English?

im not sharing with them, they are sharing with us. bastards.
If Scotland goes independent then the English won't let the Scottish use the pound or their language! Good luck trying to get a language union after you betray us you bastards!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending