The Student Room Group

Why Won't Some Parents Discipline Their Kids Properly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Swirll
I'm not advocating child abuse, of course, but the amount of little brats I see running around nowadays is staggering. I seriously think some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids, as you can nearly always see why said children act the way they do after seeing how their parents "discipline" them - or, rather, don't. Sometimes, they just turn a blind eye (even if their kid's doing something like being rude to a stranger in public) and are completely irresponsible. It's not just stereotypical "chavs" who do this either; in fact, middle-class and upper-class parents are often the worst and seem to have a very naive, "free-for-all" view of how to parent.

I had a colleague (scientist) who has a son who kicks other children - other parents have complained. She was secretly thrilled, because she herself was bullied as a child. :s-smilie:

Original post by Swirll
I've heard that kids in some European countries (Germany, Sweden and Finland in particular) and ofc Asian countries (China etc.) are much better disciplined than British ones.

:nope:

My nephew was kicked out of football because he wouldn't pass to other boys. That was when he was 8 or so. There have been other, objectively worse incidents, but I found this one particularly shocking because he loves football and it's not like he was forced to play it and rebelling or anything. His parents (they are teachers...!) just shrug it off...

His brother and sister are nice but the language they use... I am genuinely shocked when I have to listen to them for a prolonged period of time... I didn't think I'm that old-fashioned but they are seriously foulmouthed. :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mahand
Most of Asian/Arab/Blacks I have seen respect their parents , unlike the English.

I agree with the first bit... But I still don't think you should say 'unlike the English'. That's still mass generalisation. What do we even mean by English? You can have English Asians and English Arabs so... :s-smilie:

Original post by Mr...
Your last tatement is very true, I told him :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by karmacrunch
I agree with the first bit... But I still don't think you should say 'unlike the English'. That's still mass generalisation. What do we even mean by English? You can have English Asians and English Arabs so... :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

English=Ethnicity
British=Nationality

When I mean English , I mean whites.
Original post by CJKay
This generation is statistically having less sex than the previous one.

Only because the previous generation were giant sluts lol
Original post by Mahand
Asian parents do tend to be stricter and have higher expectations of their kids. Yes, some parents do unintentionally abuse their kids emotionally. My parents did just that when I was younger and they still do sometimes through their criticisms. Yes, some parents do hit their kids as a form of punishment. My father did that to me on occasion when I was a little kid. In fact, non-asian parents might be shocked if they witness this as it can appear to be aggravated child abuse.

For us
Elder = wiser. Therefore elder person deserves respect.
I like that our manners a lot. Here, in the UK, I seen so many times kids shouting at their parents, saying : Shut up, Fu** off etc. It's disgusting. Spoiled brats. Of course not everyone is like that, but still, western kids need some manners. ....manners like respecting parents, teachers, etc, evolved from Indian culture.

Asian parents expect their kids to be polite, respectable individuals, but sometimes their expectations and parenting tactics can cause intense stress. My parents did it out of love Iguess cause now im a sucessfull business man living the good life.

Asians put a lot of value on social institutions such as education and the family, they encourage virtue but sometimes at the expense of great stress (for example suicide rate in Japan). We need less stress and more virtue, the very existence of democracy and happiness depends on this.
Original post by Swirll
I'm not advocating child abuse, of course, but the amount of little brats I see running around nowadays is staggering. I seriously think some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids, as you can nearly always see why said children act the way they do after seeing how their parents "discipline" them - or, rather, don't. Sometimes, they just turn a blind eye (even if their kid's doing something like being rude to a stranger in public) and are completely irresponsible. It's not just stereotypical "chavs" who do this either; in fact, middle-class and upper-class parents are often the worst and seem to have a very naive, "free-for-all" view of how to parent.

Too many parents these days treat their kids like "little adults" or extensions of them, rather than small children who actually need some proper ****ing rules and boundaries set. I think kids are often spoiled with too much/the wrong stuff, too. What's with all the really young kids (sometimes even toddler age) having their own iPads and iPhones and such? (I don't live in a chavvy area, btw, it's actually really middle-class but you know what some middle-class mothers are like!) Surely so much screen time is bad for them? But some parents seem to treat technology like a virtual babysitter or just be plain tired of their offspring. Don't have them in the first damn place, then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all British kids today are brought up badly. But parenting standards on average do seem to have fallen through the floor. Why is this? People certainly aren't having kids any earlier on average, I'm pretty sure, so are parents just more immature even despite the fact that women aren't necessarily having kids in their early 20s any more?

Spoiler

Most kids i see being arrested for selling drugs, gang activity aren't even British :tongue:
Too many parents want their children to consider them 'mates' rather than 'just' parents and it leads to a lack of discipline and poor behaviour.
Lots of parents also just don't know HOW to discipline their children. Working in childcare, I've regularly had parents ask me how to deal with certain situations.
Original post by Mr...
That is a racist assumption, it is also very ignorant. Not all whites are disrespectful to their parents :/

you're quite right there are many whites who are respectful of social institutions, but they are a minority compared to Asian families.
Original post by Mahand
English=Ethnicity
British=Nationality

When I mean English , I mean whites.

Oh okay... I meant English as in English speaking, part of England as a country. Which is technically a nationality so I think you mean it as an ethnicity?

What you said is still generalising though which is rude and discriminatory.:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KittyRe-play
AGREED! It's annoying...like why even have kids if you can't bring them up as good-natured and civilised citizens? :s-smilie:

haha, going to keep my mouth closed. :tongue:
Because everything is classed as abuse, if you touch them it's physical abuse and if you shout at them it's verbal abuse etc... Most kids have their parents on lock half the time, lmao

Rest assured that if I swore at my parents (and they heard me), I would probably get KO'd

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Some people are not strong willed. You see this in some bosses, just as with some parents. People who back down easily or avoid confrontations.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
haha, going to keep my mouth closed. :tongue:

Haha, nice option! :biggrin:
Original post by Mr...
That is a racist assumption, it is also very ignorant. Not all whites are disrespectful to their parents :/

Statements like that annoy me so much, and I'm not even white. If a white person said something like that, they would be branded as racist immediately. Saying stuff like that can cause more conflict than is needed.
Reply 34
As for why they don't do it: because it is very tiring, hard work to discipline a child consistently. At least in the short term, which is why some parents just give up.
successive governments have removed the ability of parents to discipline their young children ( becuase of high profile media cases of child abuse. they then grow up to talk back to their parents as if they were their school friends, and parents also act childishly by tying to have a debate or argument with them, or trying to make and be their best friend. fast-forward to thick teenage kids with problems with authority and discipline and ultimalty underacheiving adults and equally feckless parents themselves , starting the cycle all over again
Original post by Meenglishnogood
successive governments have removed the ability of parents to discipline their young children ( becuase of high profile media cases of child abuse. they then grow up to talk back to their parents as if they were their school friends, and parents also act childishly by tying to have a debate or argument with them, or trying to make and be their best friend. fast-forward to thick teenage kids with problems with authority and discipline and ultimalty underacheiving adults and equally feckless parents themselves , starting the cycle all over again

Personally I don't think you need to discipline a child in order to educate them. You simply need to stimulate a passion for learning. I think if you surround a child by more books, this would be far more effective than any form of "discipline".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mahand
Look at their history/today behaviours

They are imperial criminals and seeds of Satan.

Please don't treat this person seriously. If they are being serious then they have simply gone beyond the point of no return.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
What did I do? :confused:

I was talking about the post you were replying to, not about your post :P
Reply 39
Original post by Xenorebrem
Please don't treat this person seriously. If they are being serious then they have simply gone beyond the point of no return.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol at least I don't take drugs/have sex with xx people and claim benefits, I don't steal unlike most of brits..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending