The Student Room Group

Why Won't Some Parents Discipline Their Kids Properly?

I'm not advocating child abuse, of course, but the amount of little brats I see running around nowadays is staggering. I seriously think some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids, as you can nearly always see why said children act the way they do after seeing how their parents "discipline" them - or, rather, don't. Sometimes, they just turn a blind eye (even if their kid's doing something like being rude to a stranger in public) and are completely irresponsible. It's not just stereotypical "chavs" who do this either; in fact, middle-class and upper-class parents are often the worst and seem to have a very naive, "free-for-all" view of how to parent.

Too many parents these days treat their kids like "little adults" or extensions of them, rather than small children who actually need some proper ****ing rules and boundaries set. I think kids are often spoiled with too much/the wrong stuff, too. What's with all the really young kids (sometimes even toddler age) having their own iPads and iPhones and such? (I don't live in a chavvy area, btw, it's actually really middle-class but you know what some middle-class mothers are like!) Surely so much screen time is bad for them? But some parents seem to treat technology like a virtual babysitter or just be plain tired of their offspring. Don't have them in the first damn place, then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all British kids today are brought up badly. But parenting standards on average do seem to have fallen through the floor. Why is this? People certainly aren't having kids any earlier on average, I'm pretty sure, so are parents just more immature even despite the fact that women aren't necessarily having kids in their early 20s any more?

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Swirll
I'm not advocating child abuse, of course, but the amount of little brats I see running around nowadays is staggering. I seriously think some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids, as you can nearly always see why said children act the way they do after seeing how their parents "discipline" them - or, rather, don't. Sometimes, they just turn a blind eye (even if their kid's doing something like being rude to a stranger in public) and are completely irresponsible. It's not just stereotypical "chavs" who do this either; in fact, middle-class and upper-class parents are often the worst and seem to have a very naive, "free-for-all" view of how to parent.

Too many parents these days treat their kids like "little adults" or extensions of them, rather than small children who actually need some proper ****ing rules and boundaries set. I think kids are often spoiled with too much/the wrong stuff, too. What's with all the really young kids (sometimes even toddler age) having their own iPads and iPhones and such? (I don't live in a chavvy area, btw, it's actually really middle-class but you know what some middle-class mothers are like!) Surely so much screen time is bad for them? But some parents seem to treat technology like a virtual babysitter or just be plain tired of their offspring. Don't have them in the first damn place, then.

Just one shining example of modern British parenting: my best friend's little stepsister is about three, and every time I go and visit their house it's anarchy - her stepmum is one of those annoying modern liberal mums who spoils her rotten. Every time her kid is throwing stuff at us, trying to hit us, or pour something at us, the stepmum is either laughing and encouraging her because she thinks it's "cute" or ignoring the blatant screaming and rudeness and staring blankly at her TV screen. I feel sorry for my best friend - even when I try to tell her kid off, the stepmum says "Oh, she's just a kid" and snaps "I bet you were worse at your age!".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all British kids today are brought up badly. But parenting standards on average do seem to have fallen through the floor. Why is this? People certainly aren't having kids any earlier on average, I'm pretty sure, so are parents just more immature even despite the fact that women aren't necessarily having kids in their early 20s any more?

I was talking to my partner about this kind of thing the other day. if you look through the history of all nations and empires and such. They have certain trends, where things aren't looking too good, when things are starting to pick up and then when everything is getting good for the rich but real bad for the poor and the word he brought up quite a few times was decadence. within our society it seems thats the kind of place where we are now. so everyone is having too much of things (we're all getting fat too) people are having more sex than we did a few years ago. but personally it just seems that we have created a generation of slags who keep having sex with people so they can get their council house and benefits and keep having kids to keep those benefits, so it is a lot of slags raising slags too. i don't know about you but if i look at my friends who have had children the majority of them have had girls and are single mothers so its whores raising whores 99% of the English people.

Like most of these trash even use swear words at their parents...

hate this country man...
Reply 2
You see Child Genius? I've never wanted to shout at so many families in me life. We're turning kids into 'little emperors' (Chinese term due to the one-child policy) because of the decreasing desire to have more than one child.
Reply 3
Original post by Gzangaz
I was talking to my partner about this kind of thing the other day. if you look through the history of all nations and empires and such. They have certain trends, where things aren't looking too good, when things are starting to pick up and then when everything is getting good for the rich but real bad for the poor and the word he brought up quite a few times was decadence. within our society it seems thats the kind of place where we are now. so everyone is having too much of things (we're all getting fat too) people are having more sex than we did a few years ago. but personally it just seems that we have created a generation of slags who keep having sex with people so they can get their council house and benefits and keep having kids to keep those benefits, so it is a lot of slags raising slags too. i don't know about you but if i look at my friends who have had children the majority of them have had girls and are single mothers so its whores raising whores 99% of the English people.

hate this country man...

Yeah, chavvy kids are often awful. Don't get me started on when they grow up to teenager age and packs of them start harassing random strangers or driving around in their trashy cars yelling out obscenities.

Middle-class and upper-class parents often raise their fair share of brats, though, even if both parents are present too. Some of them seem to think "give your kid everything they want and don't ever tell them off properly" is a legitimate parenting method.

I've heard that kids in some European countries (Germany, Sweden and Finland in particular) and ofc Asian countries (China etc.) are much better disciplined than British ones.
Reply 4
Original post by 08jogon
You see Child Genius? I've never wanted to shout at so many families in me life. We're turning kids into 'little emperors' (Chinese term due to the one-child policy) because of the decreasing desire to have more than one child.

I tried it for about 10 minutes, but then got so disgusted I stopped watching. One of my friends loves it, though.

What happened to parents just parenting well, as opposed to trying to turn their kid into some kind of status symbol? Jfc...
Reply 5
Original post by Gzangaz

hate this country man...

This generation is statistically having less sex than the previous one.
Reply 6
Original post by Swirll

Spoiler

In Indian culture there is concept of compound family. All will enjoy life in one house of all the family members of all 3-4 generations. Though it is changing little bit. But old is gold. Respect to elders means respect to their years of experience. Family is like a company. Everybody will be a part of team. Everybody will respect to each other. Elders will take important decisions. And kids will always enjoy by following elders decisions. Whole compound family at one place is like a powerful team.

Indian parents are not like English parents. Indian parents love lot to their kids. They are not like english parents who change their spouse every after few years. Western parents are selfish for their enjoyment so they change their spouse. Indian parents will have priorities like kids, kids education, kids marriage etc and will not think of saving money for their retirement plan. As the Indian parents look after welfare of kids till the parents are alive.English parent will think of their retirement plan first and save money for them.

Let's compare the English culture to my culture (Indian)

English society is a more egoistic society in that the needs of oneself are much more important than the wishes of siblings and family members. No sacrifices are made in this regard, while in India, sacrifices are often made for the greater wellbeing of the family.

The elderly are alienated, kids move away from home as soon as they are 18, and somebody who is older and still lives with mom and dad is considered weird, pathetic and a loner. People here are scoffed at for going with their parents to movies, etc. once they are adults, because Western culture expects you to do that with your girlfriend/bodyfiend/spouse.

Indian culture teaches you to respect and worship god. It teaches you to respect the motherland- india and its people, your elders, your relatives. Call them by dear names and with respect. Like a maternal aunt would be called 'masi'. It teaches you to obey your parents, and the generation before you, to treat all other Indians as your brothers and sisters. What more can you ask for?
Western Culture - call everyone by name, abuse your elders, relatives, disobey all and respect none.

Its called raising children.

All good parents do the same things.

"modern society" does not equate to liberal ideology if thats what youve been brainwashed with.

TV as both a babysitter and a main source of morality is the cause of so much pain and problems in so many people... thats more common than not.

All parents may love their kids...but not all parents come close to doing right for their kids. Many dont go far beyond doing what a babysitter would do...and call it "raising" children.

Our parents are instilling values into us.. Its what gives you the tools live your life regardless of whats "out there". Its how you will actually manage on your own where others will repeat the excuses theyve heard on why they cant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Swirll

Spoiler

when I was younger I stayed over at some of my white friends and I noticed that they were allowed to do almost everything and say almost everything to their parents,. They just ignored their parents when they had to do chores and insulted their own parents.....

The English kids I have seen and there are many of them so this could be considered a generalisation involving a large population of white kids. Now dont get me wrong i have seen some respectful white kids who treat their parents properly. but for the vast majority of white kids I know don't respect their parents they way should i say they used to. To be fair I have had those days with my parents where we dont get along but I have never gone as far as swearing, spitting or hitting them.

Sometimes when i see this type of behaviour in some kids I wonder if they do worse things. I mean if they are willing to hit their parents infront of a total stranger what do they do to their parents at home?? If your just sitting there saying 'oh thats what little kids do', then i will tell you that i have seen teenagers who should know better physically hit their parents. Most of these people look like you average person too.

My asian family is very strict and the reason is because they don't want to see me all grown up living in a dumpster. They want me to have a good life and become successful in the future and plus they have high expectations
Reply 8
The worst is when their kids are running riot and they just laugh as if it's funny?
Original post by Swirll

Spoiler

I completely agree. So many children these days are just so disrespectful, they run around restaurants, make a racket in cafes, demand sweets. It annoys me so much.

If you ask me the quote 'children should be seen but not heard' should be implemented more often... :wink:
because there's a dispute on what correct discipline is, it's all down to opinion.
Reply 11
It's all about education.
Reply 12
Raising children to be polite, well-mannered individuals is one of the most difficult tasks. It takes a lot of effort, time, patience and continued dedication. Unfortunately, a lot of parents are severely lacking in the skills required to raise children properly.
Laziness and they don't seem to care which makes it much more irritating. :/
AGREED! It's annoying...like why even have kids if you can't bring them up as good-natured and civilised citizens? :s-smilie:
It really miffs me when children don't say please or thank you... or have any manners in general. :colonhash:

Original post by Mr...
Pure reluctance and lack of responsibility :unimpressed:

Sometimes it's not reluctance. Some parents allow their children to walk all over them. :/

Ooh! When the parents are on their phones and let the children run free... in shops. :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Mr...
Pure reluctance and lack of responsibility :unimpressed:

Would you care to elaborate :redface:

Asian parents do tend to be stricter and have higher expectations of their kids. Yes, some parents do unintentionally abuse their kids emotionally. My parents did just that when I was younger and they still do sometimes through their criticisms. Yes, some parents do hit their kids as a form of punishment. My father did that to me on occasion when I was a little kid. In fact, non-asian parents might be shocked if they witness this as it can appear to be aggravated child abuse.

For us
Elder = wiser. Therefore elder person deserves respect.
I like that our manners a lot. Here, in the UK, I seen so many times kids shouting at their parents, saying : Shut up, Fu** off etc. It's disgusting. Spoiled brats. Of course not everyone is like that, but still, western kids need some manners. ....manners like respecting parents, teachers, etc, evolved from Indian culture.

Asian parents expect their kids to be polite, respectable individuals, but sometimes their expectations and parenting tactics can cause intense stress. My parents did it out of love Iguess cause now im a sucessfull business man living the good life.
Reply 17
Original post by Mackay
The worst is when their kids are running riot and they just laugh as if it's funny?

So true...
Original post by Mr...
That is actually semi true as some parents don't let their kids walk over them they either:
-Teach their kids that the whole bitchy behaviour is okay
-Allow their children to behave that way as long as they respect their parents

But I agree with you :yep:

I wouldn't say semi for measure maybe "common to see this kind of reluctance" instead?

Ah okay. :h:

Original post by Mahand
For us
Elder = wiser. Therefore elder person deserves respect.
I like that our manners a lot. Here, in the UK, I seen so many times kids shouting at their parents, saying : Shut up, Fu** off etc. It's disgusting. Spoiled brats. Of course not everyone is like that, but still, western kids need some manners. ....manners like respecting parents, teachers, etc, evolved from Indian culture.

I cringe when I see children insulting their parents... and it's worse when the parents take it. :erm:

I don't agree with you saying "western kids need some manners" that's generalisation. Also, it's not just Asian cultures that follow by this either. :/
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by karmacrunch
I wouldn't say semi for measure maybe "common to see this kind of reluctance" instead?

Ah okay. :h:

I cringe when I see children insulting their parents... and it's worse when the parents take it. :erm:

I don't agree with you saying "western kids need some manners" that's generalisation. Also, it's not just Asian cultures that follow by this either. :/
Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of Asian/Arab/Blacks I have seen respect their parents , unlike the English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending