The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Unrestricted Modules

Hi everyone,
As a student from Turkey,I will be starting BA Psychology this year and in my country at high school I studied a range of modules (Maths,History,Language,Literature and science modules for 2 years ) and I was wondering If I would be eligible to choose Computer Science as my unrestricted modules along with English Language and Linguistics.Thank you for your answer :smile:)
Original post by Charlaux
Hi everyone,
As a student from Turkey,I will be starting BA Psychology this year and in my country at high school I studied a range of modules (Maths,History,Language,Literature and science modules for 2 years ) and I was wondering If I would be eligible to choose Computer Science as my unrestricted modules along with English Language and Linguistics.Thank you for your answer :smile:)

Hi,

It will depend on the modules you want to do and what the course requirements are/ if there's any space left on them. There will be a module sign-up fair during Intro Week where you will be able to chat to various departments about what they're offering, so I'd recommend going along to that and signing up to the ones you like the sound of. :smile:

Kind regards,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi,

It will depend on the modules you want to do and what the course requirements are/ if there's any space left on them. There will be a module sign-up fair during Intro Week where you will be able to chat to various departments about what they're offering, so I'd recommend going along to that and signing up to the ones you like the sound of. :smile:

Kind regards,

Thank you for the reply :smile: I was wondering since I started looking to their page to understand structure.In general 60 credits left means how many courses ? I checked the modules from this page https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=G4022015 and could not understand whether If I could take them or not.And my last question,the intro week and all their fair will happen in the week of 22/09/2014 right :smile:) ? Sorry for bunch of questions !

Original post by Charlaux
Thank you for the reply :smile: I was wondering since I started looking to their page to understand structure.In general 60 credits left means how many courses ? I checked the modules from this page https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=G4022015 and could not understand whether If I could take them or not.And my last question,the intro week and all their fair will happen in the week of 22/09/2014 right :smile:) ? Sorry for bunch of questions !

Hi,

As an undergraduate, you will have to take 120 credits every year. If you have 60 credits as unrestricted, this means you only have to take 60 from your home department.

Most modules of 20 credits, although some are only 10 - it depends on the department and the module. So, with your 60 unresitrcited credits, you could use them to take 3 modules of 20 credits, 6 modules of 10 credits, or a mixture of the two, eg. 2 modules of 20 credits and 2 modules of 10 credits.

We recommend that you try and take 60 credits each semester, so that your workload evens out - a 70/50 split is usually doable, but I wouldn't recommend an 80/40.

Does that all make sense? I realise it must sound a little confusing, but I promise it's not once you've got your head around it!

Also, with regards to your eligibility for the course,l the best thing to do might be to email the Computer Sciences Department and ask them - they'll be able to tell you if you have the right previous experience to take a course with the. Their email address is: [email protected].

The Module Choice Event is in the Octagon Centre on Tuesday 23rd September 2014 (9am-5pm) and Wednesday 24th September (08.30am-1pm).

Kind regards,

Reply 4
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi,

As an undergraduate, you will have to take 120 credits every year. If you have 60 credits as unrestricted, this means you only have to take 60 from your home department.

Most modules of 20 credits, although some are only 10 - it depends on the department and the module. So, with your 60 unresitrcited credits, you could use them to take 3 modules of 20 credits, 6 modules of 10 credits, or a mixture of the two, eg. 2 modules of 20 credits and 2 modules of 10 credits.

We recommend that you try and take 60 credits each semester, so that your workload evens out - a 70/50 split is usually doable, but I wouldn't recommend an 80/40.

Does that all make sense? I realise it must sound a little confusing, but I promise it's not once you've got your head around it!

Also, with regards to your eligibility for the course,l the best thing to do might be to email the Computer Sciences Department and ask them - they'll be able to tell you if you have the right previous experience to take a course with the. Their email address is: [email protected].

The Module Choice Event is in the Octagon Centre on Tuesday 23rd September 2014 (9am-5pm) and Wednesday 24th September (08.30am-1pm).

Kind regards,

Hi,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to exceed 120 credits? I have 40 credits to choose approved/unrestricted modules, and I have already chosen an approved module of 20 credits. So on top of this, for example, is it possible to pick up a new language (e.g. Portuguese or Italian) which is worth 10 credits, and then pick up a module from Psychology worth 20 credits? That means that the modules I choose will amount to 50 credits, and for the whole academic year I will be studying modules amounting to 130 credits. Sorry if this sounds confusing! I just wanted to know if you can go over the set amount. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Soph1712
Hi,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to exceed 120 credits? I have 40 credits to choose approved/unrestricted modules, and I have already chosen an approved module of 20 credits. So on top of this, for example, is it possible to pick up a new language (e.g. Portuguese or Italian) which is worth 10 credits, and then pick up a module from Psychology worth 20 credits? That means that the modules I choose will amount to 50 credits, and for the whole academic year I will be studying modules amounting to 130 credits. Sorry if this sounds confusing! I just wanted to know if you can go over the set amount. :smile:

No, you can't exceed the 120 credits. Also, when you take a language, it is 10 credits each semester, and they advise that you continue the language over both semesters (10 each, totalling 20). This does mean that you usually end up taking 70 credits in one semester (60+ 10 language) and 50 in the other (40 + 10 language) but that is do-able.
Original post by Soph1712
Hi,

Hi,

As stated above, you can't exceed your 120 credits. However, it is possible to learn a language outside of your credits with the MLTC (Modern Languages Teaching Centre) or the Languages For All scheme. The language modules won't count towards your assessment for the year, but if you're up for learning a language for fun then this is a great way to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending