The Student Room Group

Oxbridge for the normal guy?

I get the grades but like to go out and have fun more of them time, I was wondering if I would 'fit in' at these universities?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RThornton
I get the grades but like to go out and have fun more of them time, I was wondering if I would 'fit in' at these universities?

Yes definitely! :smile: e.g. look at this post from manic_fuzz: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49834063&postcount=4321

Oxford and Cambridge are full of (mostly) normal people like yourself :rave:
Reply 2
I would recommend trying to visit. If it's not possible, you'll get to see it during interviews (if they request). It will help you get a feel for it.

Both myself and a friend went down to see Oxford and Cambridge. I really didn't like the feel of Oxford. I felt terribly out of place and very uncomfortable there. I did think Cambridge was alright though, but it can be college dependent, as I stayed at Churchill College which is less of a traditional college and had a much larger proportion of state school students so it all felt a bit more down to earth. I didn't apply to either (mainly on feelings, but not hitting 90% UMS hindered the whole Cambridge thing anyway) but my friend has just graduated from Oxford this year. We went to the same high school, and same college, in a "disadvantaged" area. He's 100% absolutely loved the experience, so what bothered me obviously didn't bother him. By the sounds of things he probably only bothered with ~2-3 of the bars/pubs mostly, but he got more involved in some societies (salsa dancing, and some martial art) as there's plenty of them.

They are people too, and everyone needs a break sometimes, so they're not going to be squirreled in their room 24/7.
You need to write good English to go to either.
Reply 4
Improve your spelling and grammar before thinking about applying.
Original post by RThornton

Shorter terms, more intense workload, less of a party atmosphere, a higher percentage of preppy students, rubbish nightlife (particularly at Cambridge).

Lets be honest here. Oxbridge is obviously great in its own way, but if you want a fun time, probably better to go to a good red brick uni.
Reply 6
It depends, do you want to go to uni to actually learn and spend your £9000 a year wisely while leaving in the end with one of the best university reputations in the world, or do you want to get a usually not as good education (depending on the course, always search that first as I doubt Oxbridge is best for Music or things like that, they are more Academic) and have a better time and night life.

Do some research, check uni websites, look at peoples personal experiences and visit the unis yourself to get a feel of the area.

Good Luck :smile:

And to the people talking about spelling and stuff, this is a forum not an application or something, not everyone is 150% concerned with correct English 24/7.
Reply 7
Original post by Old_Simon
You need to write good English to go to either.

No you don't.
Reply 8
Most of the people there are actually normal people (there are a high number of unusual ones, but they are still a minority). You won't be able to get pissed as much as other places, but there is plenty of chances to do so.
Reply 9
Original post by Its_Tito
It depends, do you want to go to uni to actually learn and spend your £9000 a year wisely while leaving in the end with one of the best university reputations in the world, or do you want to get a usually not as good education (depending on the course, always search that first as I doubt Oxbridge is best for Music or things like that, they are more Academic) and have a better time and night life.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Music

Well I apologise, I stand corrected, it was just a guess. The point I was trying to make is that Oxbridge will not be best in everything, and even if they are that is according to lead tables but your experience may differ.
You can have a great time at either. I actually much preferred the nightlife in Oxford compared to where I was previously (London).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending