The Student Room Group

Why is it wrong to say you'd be upset if your child was gay?

This whole propaganda has gone too far now, imo. Now you can't even say you'd be upset if your child was gay without getting verbal abuse. It's like you're getting battered worse than a rapist/killer for just expressing your opinion when you say you hope your child never borns gay. I am not talking about kicking them out of the house or whatever but just simply be disappointed whilst still loving them and accepting them as your children. Wouldn't disappointment be most people's initial reaction?

It would be same for me if my child went to some really bad uni or was pretty unattractive - you can't just brush off the initial disappointment.

Did anyone else notice this?

Ironic thing is responses in this thread prove my point precisely. Some people couldn't even try harder with their non-sense.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by beccagood95
:rolleyes:

Rich vocabulary.
Original post by Meduza
This whole propaganda has gone too far now, imo. Now you can't even say you'd be upset if your child was gay without getting verbal abuse. I am not talking about kicking them out of the house or whatever but just simply be disappointed whilst still loving them and accepting them as your children. Wouldn't disappointment be most people's initial reaction?

Upset and disappointed are not the same thing

I do not think there is an issue in saying that you think you would be upset
In reality it would depend on the way in which they told me

If they were anxious/distressed/upset/frightened then of course I would be upset

If they came to me happy then I would be happy for them

It would be same for me if my child went to some really bad uni or was pretty unattractive - you can't just brush off the initial disappointment.

These are similar to being gay?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
Upset and disappointed are not the same thing

I do not think there is an issue in saying that you think you would be upset
In reality it would spend on the way in which they told me

If they were anxious/distressed/upset/frightened then of course I would be upset

If they came to me happy then I would be happy for them

These are similar to being gay?

It's not a choice being born ugly or stupid, is it?
Reply 5
I wouldn't say that, lol. Wouldn't be upset, either, lol.
Reply 6
Why on earth would you be disappointed?
Original post by Meduza
It's not a choice being born ugly or stupid, is it?

no it isn't
I guess the lack of biological grandchildren might bother you.
Reply 9
Original post by RayApparently

Yes and the 'normality' aspect.
(edited 9 years ago)

On the one hand - many gay people have biological children

On the other, my parents love my children even though they have no biological connection - I do not think there has ever been an issue
On the one hand - many gay people have biological children

On the other, my parents love my children even though they have no biological connection - I do not think there has ever been an issue

I'm not saying you wouldn't love them but there is an aspect of passing on ones genes that the whole reproduction thing is all about.

As Jor-El said to Kal, 'You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine'.
Reply 12
Original post by AngelPhys
Wow, lol. Bit harsh, lol.

Gosh, how many times do you say 'lol'...
:tongue:
Original post by Antognia
On the other hand the first man with aids was gay

What does that have to do with biological grandchildren?
Original post by Meduza
Gosh, how many times do you say 'lol'...
:tongue:

Don't judge, pls, lol.
In my country, usually parents think they're a failure if their children are gay. Sad but true.

I persoanlly wouldn't think of myself as a failure and would accept them for who they are. But I would be a tad disappointed still.
I'm not saying you wouldn't love them but there is an aspect of passing on ones genes that the whole reproduction thing is all about.

I guess that people who have a genetic history see these things differently to those of us that don't
Gay people can pass on their genes. Neil Patrick Harris has a child that is biologically his.
I guess that people who have a genetic history see these things differently to those of us that don't

I don't particularly have a 'genetic history'. I don't know of anyone in my family in the generation after my parents.
Reply 19
Original post by SecretDuck
In my country, usually parents think they're a failure if their children are gay. Sad but true.

I persoanlly wouldn't think of myself as a failure and would accept them for who they are. But I would be a tad disappointed still.

No of course I'm not saying they are failures - they are still people and can be successful in other ways by being pleasant, smart people etc but I hate people getting all defensive and simply lying about not getting initially upset.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest