The Student Room Group

Is GCSE English supposed to represent your writing ability?

What is the exact point of the English GCSE? Is it about understanding English? How well you write English? Or how well you can sit in an exam room for an hour and a half under pressure?
Original post by baconwrappedeggs
What is the exact point of the English GCSE? Is it about understanding English? How well you write English? Or how well you can sit in an exam room for an hour and a half under pressure?

Well english language and english literature are completely different.

English language requires you to be able to understand non-fiction texts and formulate ideas of why/how the text is written and how that contributes to the purpose of the text. Basically it mainly tests that you can read and understand fully what you're reading then be able to evaluate your reading. Also it tests how well you can write and present ideas.

English literature is quite harder. It tests your ability to analyse a piece of literature and represent ideas of WHY things are such inside the text. It also tests how historical context influences ideas/theme set out in the piece of text. Writing ability as well is tested, but it mainly is what you write, and not how you write it.

English is an essential subject and you really need it if you want to get into any profession whatsoever. I managed to get A*'s in both english language and literature.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by baconwrappedeggs

They don't rally show your writing skills off very well, that's what I hate about them. I got an easy A* in literature, so did my friend. However, my writing skill is far superior to his.

It's basically how well you can do under pressure, like every other test. However, it definitely does reflect on your skills, but it penalises those who take longer and write longer answers.

Language is mainly writing skills, Literature is understanding and reading skills.

Quick Reply

Latest