The Student Room Group
On campus
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Anyone planning to learn Japanese whilst at Uni?

Hey guys/gals. I'm going to start learning Japanese in my own time during my 3 year stay at Wlv Uni, is anyone thinking of doing the same?

It would be really cool to have speaking partner(s). I've already learned all the hiragana and katakana, as well as all the radicals in Kanji. I have all the tools necessary and would be willing to help you catch up if needs be.

I really want to work on my vocabulary and grammar, as well as pronunciation. I hope to learn how to speak the language really fast and fluent.

I'm really serious about learning the language, if you are too then please reply and let me know. Though I really doubt anyone would be interested, there is no harm in trying :smile:

Thankkies
You know you can learn Japanese as part of your degree, whatever you are studying, you have interdisaplinry modules. I did Japanese in my first year, you can do basic in first year and intermediate in the second year, however there is no 3rd year modules for it.

The teacher is very good she is native Japanese living in the UK and also teaches adult classes in Birmingham, in the second year if your skills are good enough she will let you enter an inter university speaking competition and if you are her student she is willing to write you a letter of recommendation if you apply for a Japanese work permit or for the JET programme.
On campus
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by bubadeeboop
You know you can learn Japanese as part of your degree, whatever you are studying, you have interdisaplinry modules. I did Japanese in my first year, you can do basic in first year and intermediate in the second year, however there is no 3rd year modules for it.

The teacher is very good she is native Japanese living in the UK and also teaches adult classes in Birmingham, in the second year if your skills are good enough she will let you enter an inter university speaking competition and if you are her student she is willing to write you a letter of recommendation if you apply for a Japanese work permit or for the JET programme.

wow, that would be the greatest opportunity ever, I'm going to ask about this. if you have any further details please do tell.

thank you so much
The module code is 4WL002, the course is called Basic Language, that course is the administrative title for a selection of langauges, however you will only learn the one of your choosing.

Ah it looks like SOME courses are exempt, I did it 2 years ago so it may have changed but I know the Japanese tutor is the same because I occasionally see her on campus. you will have to check that your degree is compatable

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=31311

however if it is not possible for you there are the non accredited courses, run by the same tutors in the evening, it mirros the degree modules, except you have to pay

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=31312

Out of interest what is your degree subject, its pretty much 99% you will be able to do this if it is a humanities subject.
Reply 4
Original post by bubadeeboop
The module code is 4WL002, the course is called Basic Language, that course is the administrative title for a selection of langauges, however you will only learn the one of your choosing.

Ah it looks like SOME courses are exempt, I did it 2 years ago so it may have changed but I know the Japanese tutor is the same because I occasionally see her on campus. you will have to check that your degree is compatable

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=31311

however if it is not possible for you there are the non accredited courses, run by the same tutors in the evening, it mirros the degree modules, except you have to pay

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=31312

Out of interest what is your degree subject, its pretty much 99% you will be able to do this if it is a humanities subject.

Biomedical Science, I definitely want accredited if possible that would be amazing.

Edit: I've sent them a language enquiry form, can't wait to hear back, you're a god send btw! arigatou gozaimasu *bows sincerely multiple times*
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm going to sign up for the Japanese classes. I've always wanted to learn and was extremely surprised they did it at the university!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by WunHiWundr
I'm going to sign up for the Japanese classes. I've always wanted to learn and was extremely surprised they did it at the university!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wanna learn together? :redface:
Sure, that would be cool! Hello there, Partner! I didn't catch your name, mine is Maria :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm looking into doing Japanese too, I've chosen both 4WL002 and 4WL003 as my optional modules so hopefully there will spaces in the class available. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Trueanon
I'm looking into doing Japanese too, I've chosen both 4WL002 and 4WL003 as my optional modules so hopefully there will spaces in the class available. :smile:

I didn't know there were modules, I just got told about the Tuesday/Friday lessons you pay £50 every 6 weeks for. I'm going to ask about this.

Edit: damn it... my course is exempt from languages :frown: biomedical science...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Well I'm doing English and Linguistics so I'd expect languages would be a big part of that. Hopefully I chose my modules correctly, the module descriptions are very barebones. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest