The Student Room Group

Why would parents take away their child from hospital if he is really really ill?

I am really worried about the poor child that with the brain tumour who could die as his parents have taken him away from the hospital. Why would any parent do that? Is there anything we can do to help? Really wish they can sort it before time runs out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe to give him a taste of actual life before he croaks? Just a thought...
Reply 2
No idea what the actual situation is but

If the tumour is terminal anyway, I'd much rather die at home than in a hospital.
Original post by Another
No idea what the actual situation is but

If the tumour is terminal anyway, I'd much rather die at home than in a hospital.

It is about the five year old kid Ayesha King who has brain tumour and his parents have run away with him from hospital in the uk with the rest of children to France police believe. He has/had literally only today to live as his battery for his feeding tube was due to run out if he did not get urgent medical care. My question i guess is why would anyone do that and take such a massive risk with their child's life? What is the motivation for such drastic actions?
Reply 4
Perhaps they want him to die surrounded by family, rather than attached to a tube. I can't tell from the story whether he had been operated already, and whether he was only still in hospital to recover from the operation. If so, it doesn't make any sense.
Reply 5
Probably a religious family who hold certain beliefs about how illnesses are cured *GOD* and so believe the child will be ok if they sit around a pray for long enough and that the hospital isn't a pure place for him to be, or something like that. Unless it is just neglect or the parent feel the child is wasting too much of there time, either way they shouldn't of had the child.
Reply 6
Jehovahs witnesses don't agree with many medical procedures. They found out they weren't allowed to refuse the treatment on his behalf so they decided to 'steal' him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Jamsicles
Probably a religious family who hold certain beliefs about how illnesses are cured *GOD* and so believe the child will be ok if they sit around a pray for long enough and that the hospital isn't a pure place for him to be, or something like that. Unless it is just neglect or the parent feel the child is wasting too much of there time, either way they shouldn't of had the child.

Stop speaking out of your ass. You don't even believe urself when you say **** like that.
Reply 9
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Jehovahs witnesses don't agree with many medical procedures. They found out they weren't allowed to refuse the treatment on his behalf so they decided to 'steal' him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, they disagreed with what treatment the doctors wanted to give. Nothing about them being Jehovahs witnesses.

They fully explain why they did it and it seems like a decent explanation.
Original post by Truths
Stop speaking out of your ass. You don't even believe urself when you say **** like that.

You should probably take a quick look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Science

Unless that was a response to the part about parental neglect in which case I would say what I said at the end. They shouldn't of had the child.

EDIT: Just watched the youtube video and they supplied a good reason, that they feel that the care the boy was receiving from the NHS wasn't satisfactory compared to other treatments he could be having. The should and do have the right to try something they believe would be better.

Previous comments were made without knowing the case but were just some Ideas of what could of been there reasoning.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Falcatas
Nope, they disagreed with what treatment the doctors wanted to give. Nothing about them being Jehovahs witnesses.

They fully explain why they did it and it seems like a decent explanation.

I'm sure their religion had a strong part to play but obviously they won't admit it so they don't make the religion look bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Jamsicles
You should probably take a quick look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Science

Unless that was a response to the part about parental neglect in which case I would say what I said at the end. They shouldn't of had the child.

We are in 2014...
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I'm sure their religion had a strong part to play but obviously they won't admit it so they don't make the religion look bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they are only nuts when it comes to blood transfusions and stuff like that.

Original post by Truths
We are in 2014...

Yup we are and yet they are still around, Couldn't find membership report for this year but found one from 2008. "PBS, August 1, 2008: "The church estimates it has about 400,000 members worldwide, but independent studies put membership at around 100,000." ".
Original post by Falcatas
I think they are only nuts when it comes to blood transfusions and stuff like that.

Are you sure the poor boy didn't need a blood transfusion or the like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the news this morning, seems they want proton beam therapy which is something not offered here, but that shown success in other patients. Interesting a women here said her doctor was able to push the issue and a board ruled they would pay for her son to have it in the USA, maybe this is different due to them already saying its terminal. If he's going to die anyway and they want to try one last option, don't blame them tbh.
A parent would do that if they thought it was best for their child, they wanted him to have proton beam therapy which isn't offered here but I heard one person apparently got it done in the US which I assume was paid by the NHS. His parents asked if he could have the treatment but were told no and so instead decided to take him, fundraise and pay for it themselves. They didn't want him to carry on with treatment in England because they thought it was like trial and error. In all honesty I would have done the same
(edited 9 years ago)
The answer is simple the doctors in this country are not competent, they took the child to another country with better doctors.
This is yet another scary example of the move towards authoritarianism in the UK.

Proton therapy causes far less damage to surrounding tissue than radiotherapy, which, as the credible (Cancer Research UK) article states below, makes it a far more sensible and less dangerous form of treatment for children with brain tumours - which is exactly the situation with Ashya King.

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2013/09/16/proton-therapy-is-coming-to-the-uk-but-what-does-it-mean-for-patients/

Southampton Hospital refused to offer proton therapy for young Ashya. Rather than blindly following the NHS state religion like 90% of people in this country do, Ashya's parents rightly sought better quality treatment based on credible scientific evidence. As an aside, it's important to note that his parents are not hippie fruitcakes who believe all conventional medicine is evil and that acupuncture/homeopathy/similar bull**** is the way forward, they were well informed and used credible, peer-reviewed scientific research to make their decision. They therefore decided to flee to Spain so he could receive the most advanced treatment there ASAP.

Unfortunately, the Neanderthalic scum who run our hospitals and police decided that they could not possibly allow anyone to rebel against the NHS state religion, so launched an operation to "rescue" Ashya and arrest and charge his parents with neglect. Sadly, this operation was partly successful. Ashya's parents have now been arrested. Thankfully, Ashya is still in a hospital in Malaga and is now hopefully receiving the quality treatment he needs.

This story is very worrying for everyone in the UK because it demonstrates how the government simply will not allow intelligent, free-thinking individuals to seek their own medical treatment outside the constraints of the mediocre NHS and our small domestic private healthcare system. It concerns me that so many people in this country still support Labour and other statist parties, who perpetuate the "NHS is our lord and saviour and must never be criticised" myth and seek to use the full powers of the state to oppress those who wish to subvert that mantra.

Last but not least, I wish this boy all the best and hope he receives the quality medical treatment he needs. Very sad that someone so young has to go through this.

Quick Reply

Latest