The Student Room Group

How not to react when your kid says he's gay

This kid from Kennesaw, Georgia a 19 year old lad, filmed his family doing an "intervention" on his to "pray the gay away". It is shocking, as they tell him they are throwing him out of the house (making their own child homeless... how moral) and then start punching him in the face

[video="youtube;1df_i26wh-w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUab4o_O9zgb7lfCgcUo8 yxQ&v=1df_i26wh-w[/video]

The happy outcome, though, is that he has moved in with his aunt Teri, and his boyfriend set up a GoFundMe page and people from around the planet have donated over $60,000 to help him with college fees and to live independently! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Before I clicked on this thread I was expecting something to do with religion raising its bigoted head. I wasn't disappointed.
This is what I don't get.

Sure, the content in this video is probably shocking to most of us, but people from around the world are donating tens and probably soon to be hundreds of thousands of dollars because of what? Because his parents didn't agree with his sexuality and he secretly filmed it? Bull****. He doesn't deserve that money and attention any more than the next man, gay or straight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Before I clicked on this thread I was expecting something to do with religion raising its bigoted head. I wasn't disappointed.

What's interesting is that when he kid says that being gay is not a choice and that has been scientifically proven (even if he is overstating the scientific certainty), the bigoted woman says, "I don't care about science, I care about the Word of God (TM)"
Original post by young_guns
What's interesting is that when he kid says that being gay is not a choice and that has been scientifically proven (even if he is overstating the scientific certainty), the bigoted woman says, "I don't care about science, I care about the Word of God (TM)"

Yeah I got a laugh out of that too.
Reply 5
Original post by ryan9900
Because his parents didn't agree with his sexuality and he secretly filmed it? Bull****. He doesn't deserve that money and attention any more than the next man, gay or straight.

Who are you to tell people how to send their money? What are you, the communist dictator who gets to tell people whether they can give their money to someone or not?

Evidently many people do feel like they want to give him some money, and that seems perfectly justifiable given he has been kicked out of home and it seems nice that people around the world want to give him a helping hand to have his own place and help pay his college tuition fees.

By the way, by saying "Because his parents didn't agree with his sexuality and he secretly filmed it" demonstrates you didn't actually watch it. His stepmother and father jump on his and start punching him in the face (or maybe you think that's totally normal?)
Oh look another attention seeking gay white male,oh how the world owes you a pat on the back for coming out and being so brave.

Indeed, shows how powerful indoctrination can be.
Reply 8
Original post by Blue_Mason
Oh look another attention seeking gay white male,oh how the world owes you a pat on the back for coming out and being so brave.

Oh look, another attention-seeking bigot who can't pass up commenting on a gay-related topic because he needs people to pat him on the back for being oh so contrarian and anti-PC

Many gay people are far braver in coming out than you are sitting in your Mum's basement typing out snide little comments
Who are you to tell people how to send their money? What are you, the communist dictator who gets to tell people whether they can give their money to someone or not?

Evidently many people do feel like they want to give him some money, and that seems perfectly justifiable given he has been kicked out of home and it seems nice that people around the world want to give him a helping hand to have his own place and help pay his college tuition fees.

By the way, by saying "Because his parents didn't agree with his sexuality and he secretly filmed it" demonstrates you didn't actually watch it. His stepmother and father jump on his and start punching him in the face (or maybe you think that's totally normal?)

I guarantee nobody would have sent him money if they hadn't set up a gofundme account and basically asked for it. It's not as if he was living on the streets without a penny to his name is it? It's just using a rubbish situation to take advantage and cause a scene.

I'm in no way eligible to tell people where to send their money. I just think there are more worthy causes than this. Millions of people world wide go through the same thing and probably even have it a lot worse, nobody is sending them money or paying them any attention are they? Why? Because they didn't ask for it. That's what annoys me.
Reply 10
Interesting that there are some rather butthurt individuals on this thread who seem deeply frustrated by the fact this kid has received money and attention when he publicised his situation (that his Mum and Stepdad jumped on him and started punching him in the face over his sexuality... that is, after they threw him out of the house and made their own child homeless for being gay).

Hmm. I reckon you'd need a real chip on your shoulder to be really bitter against this kid
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
It's not as if he was living on the streets without a penny to his name is it?

Err, sorry did you miss the bit about his parents throwing him out of the house for being gay?

And how exactly do you know what his financial situation is? Why would he have a penny to his name?

I'm in no way eligible to tell people where to send their money.

Yup, that's right. Which leads one to question why your sense of moral disapprobation, your confected outrage, has been so provoked by a kid whose parents threw him out of the house for being gay and then started punching him in the face, receiving money from well-wishers around the world who want him to be safe and to be able to continue on at college, particularly given so many young gay guys with homophobic families suffer homelessness and drug problems?
Err, sorry did you miss the bit about his parents throwing him out of the house for being gay?

And how exactly do you know what his financial situation is? Why would he have a penny to his name?

Yup, that's right. Which leads one to question why your sense of moral disapprobation, your confected outrage, has been so provoked by a kid whose parents threw him out of the house for being gay and then started punching him in the face, receiving money from well-wishers around the world who want him to be safe and to be able to continue on at college, particularly given so many young gay guys with homophobic families suffer homelessness and drug problems?

Children all over the world get the **** beat out of them every single day for a whole load of reasons. Where is their donation page? Who is financially helping them so they can get through college? Nobody. So why does this guy get the special treatment?
Oh look, another attention-seeking bigot who can't pass up commenting on a gay-related topic because he needs people to pat him on the back for being oh so contrarian and anti-PC

Many gay people are far braver in coming out than you are sitting in your Mum's basement typing out snide little comments

In what way am I a bigot?
Its like I cannot even chuck in an opinion without being slandered by some self righteous individual
Reply 14
Children all over the world get the **** beat out of them every single day for a whole load of reasons. Where is their donation page? Who is financially helping them so they can get through college? Nobody. So why does this guy get the special treatment?

So because we can't do something for everyone, we shouldn't do anything for anyone? That's your logic.

And it's pretty flawed logic at that. It's analogous to saying that because we can't save all children from child abuse, we should abolish social services and make no attempt to save any child from child abuse.
Reply 15
In what way am I a bigot?

Uhh, yes. If you are offended by a gay guy for daring to speak up about the fact that when he came out to his parents, they threw him out of the house and started punching him in the face, then you are a bigot as you clearly think that is normal and/or acceptable.
So because we can't do something for everyone, we shouldn't do anything for anyone? That's your logic.

And it's pretty flawed logic at that. It's analogous to saying that because we can't save all children from child abuse, we should abolish social services and make no attempt to save any child from child abuse.

Obviously not as that wouldn't be practical, would it?

If this guy had anything about him he would donate that money to a charity that combats homophobic and/or child and domestic abuse. However, I highly doubt that will happen.

There's a very good chance that some guy or girl in a similar or even identical situation will watch this video and wonder where his public outpouring of support is. Before you say that he/she would be happy that people are raising awareness, this would be pointless. Unless that money goes to charity to help as many other as possible then it's a huge waste.

The world owes gay people a lot of things. Treating them with the base decency any person deserves for one.
This is what I don't get.

Sure, the content in this video is probably shocking to most of us, but people from around the world are donating tens and probably soon to be hundreds of thousands of dollars because of what? Because his parents didn't agree with his sexuality and he secretly filmed it? Bull****. He doesn't deserve that money and attention any more than the next man, gay or straight.

He needs and deserves some money, considering the parents who are supposed to support him have chucked him out of his house.

It's happened before when an atheist was thrown out of his house by religious parents, loads of people donated money to help get him through college.
Original post by RFowler
He needs and deserves some money, considering the parents who are supposed to support him have chucked him out of his house.

It's happened before when an atheist was thrown out of his house by religious parents, loads of people donated money to help get him through college.

There is a countless amount of people who deserve money, 99% don't get it.

Quick Reply

Latest