The Student Room Group

Is humanity going to destroy itself?

Specifically due to recent tensions between the west and Russia.

Tightening of sanctions.

Both sides vying for control of oil reserves in the arctic we had already seen what wars for oil can do in the middle east.

Russia is now more isolated than it was in the cold war.

Finally NATO expansion and the war in Ukraine.

I can't help but think this is going to end badly. Maybe with a rash decision from Putin leading to nuclear winter and the extinction of our species.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
We live in a country where gangs of Pakistani men were free to rape one thousand four hundred innocent children in ONE English town as the authorities were scared to offend Muslim's, I'd say humanity is pretty ****ed already.
Reply 2
Original post by RFC1872
We live in a country where gangs of Pakistani men were free to rape one thousand four hundred innocent children in ONE English town as the authorities were scared to offend Muslim's, I'd say humanity is pretty ****ed already.

I agree, but surely the decimation of our species for the mistakes of those in power seems like a much greater injustice.
Not on any of those grounds it isn't. We made it through much worse during the cold war.
NATO are tools of America's Zionocentric foreign policy. I wonder if the people who actually fight in NATO ever doubt what they are doing.
It already does.
Reply 6
Original post by shahbaz

Tightening of sanctions.

Both sides vying for control of oil reserves in the arctic we had already seen what wars for oil can do in the middle east.

I can't help but think this is going to end badly. Maybe with a rash decision from Putin leading to nuclear winter and the extinction of our species.

Its possible but unlikely.

Putin has given no indication that he has it in him to attack NATO directly and neither China nor India has given any indication that they want war.

There is a danger that the Islamic world could drag us into war given the appeasement attitudes in Europe but its unlikely that would cause a third world war.
Honestly, I've just read the title (ergo, the question), and not the thread.
But, what my immediate response was: yes.

There are lots of things to consider. Did you know, technically, humanity should've already died out by now? Going by all known other species that dominated their worlds (this one, but different each time, so), time-length wise, we've kind-of already beaten the odds.

...Further thought into it; humanity, going the way it's going without i.e. the human-rights activists gaining ground, or with the corporate big money holders destroying nature knowing it's the next gen's problem (hence, not their own- the grandkids can die, or fix it. This is business, ect)....or humanity using wars to solve disputes when pee-contests or pride gets in the way for people who really could make a difference during talks (or, the avoidance of starting a war which leads to a bigger one- think Hitler, and maybe this Ukraine business-)..Anyways, going the way it's going, there's a chance. Like with anything else. The point is: its a pretty big chance (well, bigger than I feel comfortable knowing).

But there are lots of factors, lots of different things going on under the surface in each country that makes up this world- and loads of good things, too (not enough- but growing, so that's accounting for something, no?). And, whilst those companies have money and power, they always seem to forget(thankfully; the ones that dont are scaaaary!) -and so does everyone else, mostly- that if we say, dont like one company, we can search up stuff they sell here to us consumers. Then, we boycott it. Boycott it to death. They loose money, wherever else we spend ours gets more money/power, and the dying company will either be forced to close or adapt- so whatever we're now spending money on, they will make their own version. Inconvenient, some would say. Not hard with the internet, I'd say back! xD Eh, the people have power, they just...forget it sometimes, or don't want to use it,ect. (Like! If we wanted the news to show less of celebrity lifestyle shiz, which is invasive and not really important other than it drives them to drink and sometimes death-EHEM. Only their criminal stuff is important, really. But yeah, if we stopped buying celeb life paraphernalia, and focused on political doings and such, then the news would be more pragmatic and truly involved with that. See?)

You asked a really hard question :L. Possibly yes. Possibly no. Something could change (are you going to help that, though?). :smile:
Hope it helps a little, maybe putting into perspective how COMPLEX your question is.

(I think yes, if some people with crazy good ideas don't start speaking up and good people don't standing up for fear of sounding weird or taking things too seriously..or because they've wrapped themselves up so much in their own lives and problems they ignore everything else.)

Good Luck
Original post by RFC1872

They did this to protect the decent Pakistanis people from racists people like you....
Original post by shahbaz

Tightening of sanctions.

India and China should help Russia against the US/Europe.
Reply 10
Original post by TokyoGhoul
They did this to protect the decent Pakistanis people from racists people like you....

Racist? How so?
Reply 11
Original post by Caedus
Racist? How so?

It's not racist
Clearly this country has a problem and tries to cover it up as Muslims would be outraged
Reply 12
Original post by sdotd
It's not racist
Clearly this country has a problem and tries to cover it up as Muslims would be outraged

This country is PC to the point of criminal negligence, I think.
(edited 9 years ago)

Its unlikely either would involve themselves and if they did they'd protect their trade with the west.

People need to remember that the power dynamic is the other way around to the Cold War. China pulls Russian strings, not the other way around.

Woah, man, do you know what you're saying?

"Help" Russia do what, exactly?
Think carefully before you type. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NamiChickenAngel
Woah, man, do you know what you're saying?

"Help" Russia do what, exactly?
Think carefully before you type. :frown:

The e.uwants to privatize thier utilities, and will charge high interest for that 20 billion loan. Big banks need to people to be indebted in order to maintain control of the World. Ukraine is the next victim. E.u. is broke, people starving, and homeless in France, England, all over Greece, spain, portragual. They are on the verge of collapse. Russia isnt perfect. But under the e.u. they are going to cut whatever benefits they receive, give the gas and electric to private investors. That will be a step backwards for Ukraine. Dont be mislead and deceived the e.u. are wolves in sheep clothing.... 

IF YOU THINK EUROPEAN UNION IS A PARADISE YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN: UKRAINE WILL BE ONE MORE SLAVE OF A PERVERSE SYSTEM! THEY THINK ONLY IN MONEY AND TO SOLVE THE TRUE VALUES:
Original post by RFC1872

And, you- yes, I admit that this issue of "appeasement" towards the current bigger problems (i.e. extremists who are mostly claiming to be of Islam) IS a problem; people think they can get away with anything if they're not shut down and told "no", for example. Anyways, whilst YES I agree this is a problem that's been growing, did you know that recently (off the top of my head, this) there was a programme on the news speaking about how police were NOT doing this anymore; they acknowledged this was happening, and started to talk about actually focusing on problem groups, for aslong as they insist on being problem groups. (Ergo, with prejudice- which sounds horrible, but look at say, Australia's airport- they are extremely prejudiced about their searches, but guess what? They're safe. Better to be safe than sorry.) When they stop, the police will focus on whatever else group decides to rear it's head.

Anyways. So, something actually IS being done about it, but- you didnt check those facts when you said that thoughtless comment, did you? I understand your potential bitterness, but that's over simplification and believe it or not, that's dangerous. For everyone.

It's attitudes like yours that makes people who don't feel secure become ostrasized, and then angry- they come to this country for a better. Life. That's full of hardships. And then they get treated like scum? Like they dont belong? Of course they'll not integrate properly and learn to bend. Of course their young kids who are hated but born here, for what they supposedly are, get angry and look for change- radical change, just like everybody else in history you see has done. Not right, both sides.

People need to be more friendly.

My point is, calm the fiddlesticks down, okay? Don't be easy, backing into anger. It's HARD to be angry at someone who's being friendly, or calm. They'll calm down, if you've had some bad experience, when their anger is replied with calm and quiet words. Think.

...Also, since I'm gonna be the bigger man (atleast for the moment, eh?):
I apologise for that rant's possible mean-ness. Sorry. I just think people will get along better if they tried, and that humanity needs to pick up it's shiz; stop repeating the past, we're educated people now for flip's sake.
The e.uwants to privatize thier utilities, and will charge high interest for that 20 billion loan. Big banks need to people to be indebted in order to maintain control of the World. Ukraine is the next victim. E.u. is broke, people starving, and homeless in France, England, all over Greece, spain, portragual. They are on the verge of collapse. Russia isnt perfect. But under the e.u. they are going to cut whatever benefits they receive, give the gas and electric to private investors. That will be a step backwards for Ukraine. Dont be mislead and deceived the e.u. are wolves in sheep clothing.... 

IF YOU THINK EUROPEAN UNION IS A PARADISE YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN: UKRAINE WILL BE ONE MORE SLAVE OF A PERVERSE SYSTEM! THEY THINK ONLY IN MONEY AND TO SOLVE THE TRUE VALUES:

Hey, chill. No need for anger here, kay?

Alright, I get the debt bit. And yes, they probably do want to monopolize if they can; Russia is a Big Bad Scary Super Power (i.e. another power that differs in views to them, supposedly) and it's got what the West needs. They are most certainly not angels: they're businessmen.

Not wanting the EU to have control of Ukraine is fair enough. I like them as part of the neutral zone thing going on there with those countries.

But, encouraging the crap Russia's trying to pull just because you don't want the UK to monopolize (as if those are it's ONLY two choices- which they aren't), is wrong too. You know why? Because peace between these big guns is maintained as long as their paranoia-meter is LOW. How to mess with that? Start breaching the no-mans land by expanding your boarders. That's scary. No one wants war (though it's everywhere); this would be like, another World War if we're lucky- and if we're not, which seems to be the norm, it'd be a Nuclear War.

Which would suck.
We'd die. They'd die. Everyone else would either die, or suffer from radiation and it's various problems (and maybe die too) for a LONG time afterwards. Plantlife, eco-systems would die. The water might become poisoned, which would maybe kill everything in a "ripple-effect" kind of way, or hurt a lot.
So, it would be bad to do this.

But you know why else? Because the people who live there dont all want to join with Mother Russia. Some people are like, 1/4 of the population, that's not a lot- who cares, right? Well. Think about that for a minute. One quarter of a population is violently opposed, scared, worried, about joining with a country that in all right's has no right to take over (that's what it is, make no mistake). If we can say that that Does Not Matter, that governments can take over the power we hold as citizens, that Our Voices Do Not Matter- which we ARE doing with this example- then that takes away our own power, ability for change. And hands it ALL over for people who do not always, will not always, care for people they do not know. That's taking away people's freedom. Their right. That's what people expected when they settled down; the lords over the land's end of the bargain, you know? So, 1/4? I say 1/16th is enough!

Minorities should matter; sometimes, they're right.

Also, Ukraine's government doesn't want this, and that's a danger towards all smaller countries if we allow those cries to be unhelped. They'd freak, rightly so.

I've researched and been told about the history of Ukraine/Crimea also, and well, incase you know about this (you, atleast did some research/been told some stuff): the people alive now that want to 'come back'? They can move. The real generation that lived there, the last one, would be elderly and very elderly by now. It's younger people who claim they used to live here: move back. I'm sure Ukraine will make exception in this case in regards to some of their immigration rules (maybe NET% of people in the land?), given the situation. The land mass WILL NOT change with Russia taking Ukraine, so I don't see what their problem is.

Getting tired, sorry.

My point to you is this: ask yourself, honestly, why would Russia want Ukraine now? It's govenment has been downright point-blank against joining Russia (the leader asked the UN or Someone to help and stop them, with a call-to-arms, so asking for troops in response to the military russian guys who are standing with weapons at the voting booths to "protect" -against what? The curtain? -that theyre unwanted in a meeting. Also, Russia did something. I can't remember what, but it was basically a moderate act-of-war type of gesture). What would they gain?

So! I think once Russia backs off, the UK and ect will back off, and it'll be all good. Sometimes, I wish the UN had its own military. The little countries would keep the peace of the big ones, maybe.
Original post by Rakas21
Its unlikely either would involve themselves and if they did they'd protect their trade with the west.

People need to remember that the power dynamic is the other way around to the Cold War. China pulls Russian strings, not the other way around.

True, that (China part). If Russia can get Ukraine and maybe another of the smaller countries there without a fight (darnnit Uk, move, is this Hitler all over again, take-over wise?) and it looks like a success-filled venture, they might invest some troops.

Oh yeah, and rape- moreso, group and or large numbers of it, is never OK. Teaching youngsters that this behaviour is OK or that they can get away with it, for rubbish reasons like you just said - to "protect" people with rape, does that make sense? No. Even reasoned out as a detterant it is WRONG and would only incite anger and make themselves out to be the bad guys. Which they are if theyre going around raping people. -is downright dangerous (woah, there's a lot of that going around). Where do you think they'll go next when all the white/european/whatever people they had are all 'done', putting it brutally? Their own people. Because big acts, dispicable or otherwise, change a person- and this is in a bad way (habits, there was a saying about it; make good ones before the bad ones make you; habits also known as behavioural patterns)

So, no.

And your logic here scared me,
I hope that was some serious (scary) black/dark humour there, and not what you actually think.

If someone raped a bunch of girls and women and men and boys to protect me, I'd be scared and wary of them; and if they came up to me with that proposal, I'd probably go ape-shiz on them. It's disgusting and wrong, wrong, wrong. Taking steps away from what they want.

What mother can look at her son(s), her husband if he's done that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending