The Student Room Group

Spoilt children

Does anyone else agree the fact that a child may be your only child is no reason to spoil him/her?

People defend their spoilt children with their 'emperor' syndromes by saying that that's their only child... Why would you want your only child to grow up as a spoilt, self-absorbed brat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmm, I don’t really think parents intentionally make their children ‘spoilt, self absorbed brats’. They can’t help but get all the attention, after all they are the only child. As long as discipline is put in place when needed I don’t see any problems, also children who don’t have siblings should still interact with others of the same age and learn skills like sharing etc.

Saying that the same can be said for independent schools, class sizes are smaller. For this reason children are given more attention than comprehensive schools. I don’t think parents should be blamed for raising ‘spoilt children’.
What's the definition of spoilt? Seems to be used by people who are jealous of rich families
I don't think that giving your children nice things is spoiling them. I think it's when you give them everything and the parents don't teach the children humbleness and humility... which makes them become spoilt.

Then again I don't know, I'm not an only child. However, I'm sure it's not just only children who are spoilt though. :redface:

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
What's the definition of spoilt? Seems to be used by people who are jealous of rich families

This is true! Spoilt children can be from any background imo. E.g. A child from a less economically stable family who demands everything from their parents... in which their parents might not be able to afford. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I wish I was an only child. My older brother and sister have set some pretty high standards to overcome.
Original post by karmacrunch

This is true! Spoilt children can be from any background imo. E.g. A child from a less economically stable family who demands everything from their parents. :smile:

True. I was very spoilt financially.
As a teacher, I am sick of parents that always say 'yes' to any demand of their child. It means that they play up all the time at school when they do not get what they want and the lesson isn't catered perfectly for them. They often play up when they're not getting sufficient attention off me either.
Original post by keromedic
True. I was very spoilt financially.

Did you 'ask' to be spoilt or were you just given everything? :redface:
Did you 'ask' to be spoilt or were you just given everything? :redface:

I was given money and other things to compensate for things that were done.
People moaning about only children getting more stuff is stupid. If you have 3 kids you get them say, a trampoline between them. Are you gonna say you can't have it to an only child because they are an only child? Stupid
A child from a rich family "being spoilt financially" is not actually "being spoilt" in my opinion.
For me, being spoilt is when a child does not appreciate what they have, have no gratitude, expect special treatment or to receive gifts for no reason, etc.

I don't think this is a trait just for only children though. Lots of only children are brought up properly, so that they appreciate what they have and don't turn into brats. Just as lots of children who have siblings are not.

To answer the question, I have no idea why some parents defend making their children spoilt, as if it's a good thing to do for them.
Yes, looking after your children emotionally and financially is important. It's important that they have everything that they need, it's important that they feel loved and wanted, and it's important for them to get "treats" sometimes... But it is also important to teach them discipline, and to not expect to be given things when they haven't earnt them. It's important to teach them to appreciate what they have, to appreciate what people do for them, and to teach them to have empathy for others and want to help.
Also, they need to be taught to be independent and self-sufficient to a certain extent. Needing constant attention and not being able to be okay in their own company sometimes is a bad trait, and isn't going to set them up well for life.

It's difficult to define but I'd say kids who get everything they want and always get their way regardless of how much they deserve it. People often think of parents buying sweets because their kid has a tantrum and scream about it but it obviously applies to other things.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
A child from a rich family "being spoilt financially" is not actually "being spoilt" in my opinion.
For me, being spoilt is when a child does not appreciate what they have, have no gratitude, expect special treatment or to receive gifts for no reason, etc.

I don't think this is a trait just for only children though. Lots of only children are brought up properly, so that they appreciate what they have and don't turn into brats. Just as lots of children who have siblings are not.

To answer the question, I have no idea why some parents defend making their children spoilt, as if it's a good thing to do for them.
Yes, looking after your children emotionally and financially is important. It's important that they have everything that they need, it's important that they feel loved and wanted, and it's important for them to get "treats" sometimes... But it is also important to teach them discipline, and to not expect to be given things when they haven't earnt them. It's important to teach them to appreciate what they have, to appreciate what people do for them, and to teach them to have empathy for others and want to help.
Also, they need to be taught to be independent and self-sufficient to a certain extent. Needing constant attention and not being able to be okay in their own company sometimes is a bad trait, and isn't going to set them up well for life.

Agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RFowler
It's difficult to define but I'd say kids who get everything they want and always get their way regardless of how much they deserve it. People often think of parents buying sweets because their kid has a tantrum and scream about it but it obviously applies to other things.

But being fortunate enough to get what you want isn't a bad thing. Seems like jealousy :s-smilie:
But being fortunate enough to get what you want isn't a bad thing. Seems like jealousy :s-smilie:

I think that's different. Richer parents will get their kids more expensive stuff than others do. But most rich parents still wouldn't buy absolutely everything their kid demanded from them.

I have to agree with the poster a few posts above who said this:
"For me, being spoilt is when a child does not appreciate what they have, have no gratitude, expect special treatment or to receive gifts for no reason, etc."

Getting what you want is fine as long as there is discipline involved too when you've done something wrong (or at least the expectation that you will be disciplined).
Original post by RFowler
I think that's different. Richer parents will get their kids more expensive stuff than others do. But most rich parents still wouldn't buy absolutely everything their kid demanded from them.

I have to agree with the poster a few posts above who said this:
"For me, being spoilt is when a child does not appreciate what they have, have no gratitude, expect special treatment or to receive gifts for no reason, etc."

Yeah I agree it's the expectation

Original post by Autistic Merit
Getting what you want is fine as long as there is discipline involved too when you've done something wrong (or at least the expectation that you will be disciplined).

Yeah I see that
I was given money and other things to compensate for things that were done.

Sorry for asking lots of questions! Are you happy with that happening or do you wish that you weren't 'spoilt'? :smile:
Sorry for asking lots of questions! Are you happy with that happening or do you wish that you weren't 'spoilt'? :smile:

Well I'm obviously grateful.
Well I'm obviously grateful.

I'd assume so but okay.

Quick Reply

Latest