The Student Room Group

Can this get me into Computer Science?

I would like to know if these subjects A/B grades would look good to a Computer Science uni.
BTEC ICT (2years)
Computing A Level
Business AS level
My options are very limited due to failing 1st year.
It would depend which units that your BTEC includes. Do some research on which units you need and try to do those. Some BTEC candidates are asked to study a Mathematics AS or A Level on top of their BTEC, depends what unis you're looking at, it will be stated on the course's requirements.

This is an example of the units that King's College requires:
Distinction is required in the modules:

'Information Systems'

and 'Computer Systems' (core units)

plus an additional two from:

Database Design;

Systems Analysis & Design;

Mathematics for IT Practitioners; Software Design & Development

or Event Driven Programming.

Reply 3
Most places want Maths and Physics can't hurt either but if I were you I would do A-levels in Maths, Physics and ICT
Reply 4
Unfortunately my Sixthform isn't allowing me to retake maths as I've failed last year, I've already requested this. I've also gone and seen other colleges around the area and they are not doing A levels this year.

I've checked the Units for my BTEC ICT and they do:
'Information Systems'
Event Driven Programming.
Database Design;

So will I be able to get into King's College if I get a distinction is the required units the BTEC is 2 years? and the required UCAS points and a B+ in Computing?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Peppy-
Unfortunately my Sixthform isn't allowing me to retake maths as I've failed last year, I've already requested this. I've also gone and seen other colleges around the area and they are not doing A levels this year.

I've checked the Units for my BTEC ICT and they do:
'Information Systems'
Event Driven Programming.
Database Design;

So will I be able to get into King's College if I get a distinction is the required units the BTEC is 2 years? and the required UCAS points and a B+ in Computing?

Thanks

Yea, that's fine for King's.

Quick Reply

Latest