The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What kind of musical clubs/groups are on offer at Lancaster?

Removed
(edited 2 years ago)
I play guitar (as you can probably tell from my username :P ), bass and ukulele and I would love to start a band. It's something I've always wanted to do! What college are you in?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Tom_Anks
I'm starting in September and play piano/guitar and make a lot of music. What kind of musical societies are there on offer at Lancaster?

Also - is anyone going to attempt to start a band while they're at uni? Because it's something I'm really interested in

Original post by LeftyGuitarist
I play guitar (as you can probably tell from my username :P ), bass and ukulele and I would love to start a band. It's something I've always wanted to do! What college are you in?

So there's ULMS (University of Lancaster Music Society), which has a range of ensembles, choir, jazz band, orchestra etc.

You can form bands as well they have open mic sessions on campus and in the pubs in town. There are also opportunities to perform at campus events and a battle of the bands.

Hope you enjoy.
Fantastic! I'm in Grizedale.

What kind of bands do you like? At the moment I'm listening to lots of Grateful Dead, Radiohead, Beach Boys and LCD Soundsystem

I'm in Bowland.
At the moment I'm really into All American Rejects and The Airborne Toxic Event, but Green Day is my all time favourite because they're the band that made me fall in love with music. Also Foo Fighters, Paramore, Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam, Fall Out Boy and The Garlics.
Original post by k9markiii
So there's ULMS (University of Lancaster Music Society), which has a range of ensembles, choir, jazz band, orchestra etc.

You can form bands as well they have open mic sessions on campus and in the pubs in town. There are also opportunities to perform at campus events and a battle of the bands.

Hope you enjoy.

Are there any practice spaces available for bands? I don't think someone's room would work particularly well.
Original post by LeftyGuitarist
Are there any practice spaces available for bands? I don't think someone's room would work particularly well.

Good point. There are spaces available. Music rooms are able to be hired and there are other suitable places such as some of the common rooms, which are usually available to use. Some of the colleges have pianos as well and the music practice rooms do.
Original post by k9markiii
Good point. There are spaces available. Music rooms are able to be hired and there are other suitable places such as some of the common rooms, which are usually available to use. Some of the colleges have pianos as well and the music practice rooms do.

Awesome thanks :smile:
You might like this track by Cloud Nothings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtkePLlTUcY

One of my friends who I knew from college is going to Lancaster and he's interested in starting a band. I'm positive there will be a handful of people who are 'into music' rather than just music students.

I love that! Yay new music!
I'm sure there will be, probably more than a handful. Although chances are the majority will be guitarists because let's face it about 1 person in 3 plays guitar to some level.
That's very true. The only problem is those who say "Oh I can play guitar" then know half of Wonderwall...

I've just started learning mandolin, it's a really interesting instrument and definitely easy to play if you know how to play guitar

I've met a few of them, the ones that don't even know what chords they're playing. And it's ALWAYS Wonderwall.
Mandolin's on my list of things to learn when I can afford them, that and banjo.
Wonderwall or Hallulujah! Have you heard the original version of Hallelujah? It's such a tongue-in-cheek song and not supposed to be as emotional as people make it out to be

No I haven't, I probably should at some point I suppose :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending