The Student Room Group

Dentistry with ABBB A levels

I have great O levels (full A*s) and straight As for my AS, and a very strong resume. However I wasn't able to perform to my fullest potential in my A levels.
Is an ABBB with the above qualifications enough to get me in to a decent Dental school? Any recommendations?
Reply 1
guyyyys?
If they require AAA then it's unlikely you'll get an offer as you don't meet the requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by Mindless Behavior
If they require AAA then it's unlikely you'll get an offer as you don't meet the requirements.

ok uhh..that's brutally honest. Anyway I was wondering, that just because you do not meet one of their requirements are they likely to reject you. I mean there must be other traits or achievements that the also take into consideration.

Also I have heard of many people getting accepted in to courses for which they did not meet the entry requirements. I am not sure of dentistry in particular though.

I just want to know, if there are any ways of increasing my chances. Are the entry requirements, so rigid or do they provide leniency for promising students?
It also depends on your predicted grades. Your college or sixth form will help you with that. You could be predicted 3 a, and UKCAT score will need to be quite high. Make your personal statement really good by including all the work experience you have done.
Original post by Munchee
ok uhh..that's brutally honest. Anyway I was wondering, that just because you do not meet one of their requirements are they likely to reject you. I mean there must be other traits or achievements that the also take into consideration.

Also I have heard of many people getting accepted in to courses for which they did not meet the entry requirements. I am not sure of dentistry in particular though.

I just want to know, if there are any ways of increasing my chances. Are the entry requirements, so rigid or do they provide leniency for promising students?

Dentistry is one of the most competitive courses there is and there is no need for any of the dental schools to be 'kind' to anyone. There are so many applicants with all the criteria met that they don't have to be understanding.
Original post by boodle123
It also depends on your predicted grades. Your college or sixth form will help you with that. You could be predicted 3 a, and UKCAT score will need to be quite high. Make your personal statement really good by including all the work experience you have done.

OP already has his A2s, which are ABBB.
Reply 7
Original post by boodle123

I already sat for my A levels and I got ABBB, but I was predicted 4A*s. Does this make a difference, also can I get a conditional offer for UKCAT? I am applying for 2015 entry, does this mean I can do my UKCAT in July 2015?
Original post by Munchee
I already sat for my A levels and I got ABBB, but I was predicted 4A*s. Does this make a difference, also can I get a conditional offer for UKCAT? I am applying for 2015 entry, does this mean I can do my UKCAT in July 2015?

To have predicted grades, you must be resitting your exams, and resitting will rule you out just as much as ABBB does. No past predicted grades have any relevance now.
Reply 9
what are my options, is there any pre-dental program i can go to?

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
To have predicted grades, you must be resitting your exams, and resitting will rule you out just as much as ABBB does. No past predicted grades have any relevance now.
Original post by Munchee
what are my options, is there any pre-dental program i can go to?

I'm not aware of any, but it's not my area. Someone else may know.
Reply 11
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm not aware of any, but it's not my area. Someone else may know.

thanks
Reply 12
I believe kings make offers from AAA-BBB but idk what your circumstances are.
Maybe you could take a gap year and resit a couple modules? But yeah with your current grades you'll most likely be rejected at the first stage.
Original post by Manexopi
I believe kings make offers from AAA-BBB but idk what your circumstances are.
Maybe you could take a gap year and resit a couple modules? But yeah with your current grades you'll most likely be rejected at the first stage.

They would only offer lower if you are applying for the Enhanced support programme. That's usually for students from particular state schools in London and Kent.

Quick Reply