The Student Room Group

Should i apply to oxbridge??

I would like to study Geography at uni. My AS results were 4 As (high) in Maths, Physics, Geography and Philosophy. My school recommended apply to oxbridge but ive always felt reservations for it.
Ive been pushed very hard to study my whole life, im not very good at work/play balance. i'd like to have fun AND study at university. But i'd also quite like to work abroad, and no the acclaim that oxbrige gets is still strong.
The only thing ive seen at the oxford open day that make it any different from any other high class uni (ie Durham/ Bristol, two o fmy favourites) are their reputation
Reply 1
If you don't want to do it, then don't. It's not a place for everyone, and that's okay.
Reply 2
Original post by Nymthae
If you don't want to do it, then don't. It's not a place for everyone, and that's okay.

Thank you, but is it any different from any other university in finding the balance. Is it harder or just as hard?
The big differences between Oxbridge and other top universities is the small group tutorials/supervisions and the college community.

It's perfectly possible to both work and have fun at Oxbridge, although the workload is larger.

As Nymthae says, Oxbridge isn't for everyone. But make sure you're not applying for the right reasons.
Original post by JustHoping
Thank you, but is it any different from any other university in finding the balance. Is it harder or just as hard?

There are many opportunities for it to be fun but to be frank the 8 week terms seem crazy there, in terms of workload. For example in one of the videos on the cambridge youtube channel (think it was day in a life of a student) one of the students mentioned something like if you don't four or more hours in day you're likely to fall behind on work.

There's a student there who studies Comp Sci who vlogs his life there, you may be interested in watching a few of his videos, his name is Jake Wright.

I hope this will help you make your mind up! Good luck if you decide to apply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending