The Student Room Group

GCSE grades needed for Medicine

Hi, I have wanted to be a Doctor since I was about 6 years old and I just want someone to tell me now whether I should give up or whether I can still do it. I was told by the head of sixth form that to do Medicine you need 6 A*s.

These are my GCSE Results.

English Language - A*
English Literature - A
Mathematics - A
Core Science - A
Additional Science - A
History - A (one UMS off an A*)
Religious Studies - A (one UMS off an A*)
Textiles - A
French - A
German - A
General Studies - A
Humanities - A

For A-Level I am taking Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology.

If I can't do Medicine I'd like to do Biochemistry, Biomedical Science or Primary Education.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JadeMay
Hi, I have wanted to be a Doctor since I was about 6 years old and I just want someone to tell me now whether I should give up or whether I can still do it. I was told by the head of sixth form that to do Medicine you need 6 A*s.

These are my GCSE Results.

English Language - A*
English Literature - A
Mathematics - A
Core Science - A
Additional Science - A
History - A (one UMS off an A*)
Religious Studies - A (one UMS off an A*)
Textiles - A
French - A
German - A
General Studies - A
Humanities - A

For A-Level I am taking Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology.

If I can't do Medicine I'd like to do Biochemistry, Biomedical Science or Primary Education.

Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't give up! Your sixth form needs a lesson in medicine admissions since their knowledge is seriously lacking. They are talking complete and utter rubbish!

Those are great GCSE results and you shouldn't be disappointed with them! You could apply to quite a few medical schools with those results.

Obviously, your suitability for medicine will be much clearer once you have your AS grades, predicted A2's, UKCAT score and PS.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :biggrin:
I think you'll be fine for the vast majority of medical schools with those grades. Just be aware that it's not really GCSEs that make the biggest impact on your application, it tends to be UKCAT/BMAT/Alevels etc. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
It is different for each university.
Reply 4
Ok, I'll have to talk to my teachers when I go back. Do you know when the remark deadlines are for OCR and Edexcel? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tania<3
I think you'll be fine for the vast majority of medical schools with those grades. Just be aware that it's not really GCSEs that make the biggest impact on your application, it tends to be UKCAT/BMAT/Alevels etc. Good luck :smile:

Ok thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 06shawm
You shouldn't give up! Your sixth form needs a lesson in medicine admissions since their knowledge is seriously lacking. They are talking complete and utter rubbish!

Those are great GCSE results and you shouldn't be disappointed with them! You could apply to quite a few medical schools with those results.

Obviously, your suitability for medicine will be much clearer once you have your AS grades, predicted A2's, UKCAT score and PS.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :biggrin:

Ok thank you. I have a few questions (sorry). Do you think I'm taking the right A-Levels? Some people say that you need to take Maths, which I think would just be a waste of time for me as I know I wouldn't get a very good grade in it. Also do you think I should get my RS and History papers remarked? Thanks again.
Original post by JadeMay
Ok thank you. I have a few questions (sorry). Do you think I'm taking the right A-Levels? Some people say that you need to take Maths, which I think would just be a waste of time for me as I know I wouldn't get a very good grade in it. Also do you think I should get my RS and History papers remarked? Thanks again.

Wow your schools seems to be pushing all the popular myths!

You do not need 6A*s. Your GCSEs rule you out of some schools, but not others. Indeed, a couple e.g. Liverpool consider A as equivalent to A*.

You do not need maths, nor is maths even beneficial, for any school except Cambridge. One school, UCL, actively prefers a contrasting, non-science subject.
Reply 8
Original post by nexttime
Wow your schools seems to be pushing all the popular myths!

You do not need 6A*s. Your GCSEs rule you out of some schools, but not others. Indeed, a couple e.g. Liverpool consider A as equivalent to A*.

You do not need maths, nor is maths even beneficial, for any school except Cambridge. One school, UCL, actively prefers a contrasting, non-science subject.

I just looked at Liverpool university and it looks amazing! Thanks, I didn't think it was true as no actual uni website I looked at said you needed Maths. :smile:
Reply 9
A lot of remark deadlines have passed, unfortunately...sorry that you missed that opportunity :/

With this whole 'You need at least 6 A*s to get in' rubbish, don't listen. My brother got 5 A*s and got into one of the top Medical Schools in the UK. You may need at least 6 A*s for Oxbridge, but they will not always be the best choice for everyone.

Keep with your dream of Medicine, it's been in your mind for 10 years so why settle? (BioMedics doesn't usually work for people that want to do Medicine as it involves a lot more of the reasons why drugs work and things rather than helping patients.)
Reply 10
Obviously medicine is a very competitive course, and I was wondering whether I stand a chance of getting into Oxbridge, as I will probably be up against a lot of intelligent students. (There are plenty of amazing universities but going to Oxbridge would be a dream). I recently got my GCSE/IGCSE grades:

English Language: A*
Maths: A*
Science (Double Award): A*A*
Geography: A*
Religious Studies: A*
Greek: A*
Latin: A*
German: A*

FSMQ (Additional Mathematics Free Standing Qualification): A

English Literature AS: A

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 11
Sorry - i just wanted to be prepared..?
Original post by Minnie28
Obviously medicine is a very competitive course, and I was wondering whether I stand a chance of getting into Oxbridge, as I will probably be up against a lot of intelligent students. (There are plenty of amazing universities but going to Oxbridge would be a dream). I recently got my GCSE/IGCSE grades:

English Language: A*
Maths: A*
Science (Double Award): A*A*
Geography: A*
Religious Studies: A*
Greek: A*
Latin: A*
German: A*

FSMQ (Additional Mathematics Free Standing Qualification): A

English Literature AS: A

Thank you! :smile:

For Oxford, you have fewer A*s than the average offer holder (9 vs 10.5) but a higher proportion A*s (100% vs 94%) Can you get an A* in FSMQ? Slightly lower if you count that. That's enough to apply either way though. It will come down to the BMAT.

Cambridge is more dependent on AS UMS scores. You'll need to average above 92ish to stand a reasonable chance.

Interviews are vital to both places.
Reply 13
Reply 14
Original post by Its_Tito
A lot of remark deadlines have passed, unfortunately...sorry that you missed that opportunity :/

With this whole 'You need at least 6 A*s to get in' rubbish, don't listen. My brother got 5 A*s and got into one of the top Medical Schools in the UK. You may need at least 6 A*s for Oxbridge, but they will not always be the best choice for everyone.

Keep with your dream of Medicine, it's been in your mind for 10 years so why settle? (BioMedics doesn't usually work for people that want to do Medicine as it involves a lot more of the reasons why drugs work and things rather than helping patients.)

Reply 15
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to try and get those exams remarked (if it's not too late) and then talk to my head of year about whether he thinks I can do Medicine or not. I'm also going to look at some more universities and try and get some more work experience. :smile:
Reply 16
No, FSMQ doesnt offer A* :/ Thanks for your help!
Original post by JadeMay
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to try and get those exams remarked (if it's not too late) and then talk to my head of year about whether he thinks I can do Medicine or not. I'm also going to look at some more universities and try and get some more work experience. :smile:

Honestly your grades are fantastic definitely apply. Do well in your AS levels and get lots of volunteering experience
You're grades are brilliant, I know a lot of people believe that you need to get all A*s in your grades but that's not the case. Not with GCSEs anyways :P Although it would look nice to get A*s. I'm doing my GCSEs this year and I want to go to Edinburgh University which is quite hard to get into due to stiff competition (from abroad and elsewhere). They focus on your A-Levels but do require a MINIMUM of Grade Bs in your Sciences for GCSEs.

Obviously it becomes more challenging when it gets to A levels with A*AA requirements but you're fine for now. On the right track I'd say
Reply 19
Original post by SimpsP
Honestly your grades are fantastic definitely apply. Do well in your AS levels and get lots of volunteering experience

Thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest