The Student Room Group

will russell group unis drop offer by one grade??

i have just finished my A levels getting AAB (A's in history and biology and a B in economics).

I have not applied to uni this year as im going to australia for a gap year, however i had a few question as im considering studying Law when i get back from my travels.

I understand that russell group unis, which i would be applying to often you require AAA for their Law course... e.g. manchester/newcastle/sheffield, however i was wondering if there was any chance if i applied for my AAB to be accepted? Especially as the subjects were all 'hard' subject.
I would hate to waste an application if the answer is a categorical no

thanks for your help

George
Original post by george123m
i have just finished my A levels getting AAB (A's in history and biology and a B in economics).

I have not applied to uni this year as im going to australia for a gap year, however i had a few question as im considering studying Law when i get back from my travels.

I understand that russell group unis, which i would be applying to often you require AAA for their Law course... e.g. manchester/newcastle/sheffield, however i was wondering if there was any chance if i applied for my AAB to be accepted? Especially as the subjects were all 'hard' subject.

thanks for your help

George

1. Russell Group universities don't regard Economics as a facilitating i.e. 'hard' subject.

2. Russell Group universities are all good, but not all good universities are in the Russell Group.

3. Law is extremely competitive. An AAA uni might accept you with AAB, but why would they do so? What would mark your application as special enough to lower their requirements at an early stage?

4. One way to find out might be to ask the relevant admissions departments before you head off to Australia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Your subjects are very good indeed.

Theres always a chance that the uni may just cut their losses (if they had any) and send you an unconditional if they felt it would mean you were more likely to firm them. No guarantee but its definitely worth applying to maybe 3 AAA universities.

thanks for your help

George
Law courses in the kind of places you specify are in high demand and don't have to be 'kind' to anyone to fill their spaces. A substantial number of applicants will also have what you term 'hard' subjects, so don't count on that as a substitute for the AAA they require. You have 5 choices, so you can afford one or two high risk choices, but more than that would be to court disappointment.
Reply 4

thanks for your help

George

I'm not sure what the grade requirements are like for law, but I'm sure you can get into a Russell group university with those grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
1. Russell Group universities don't regard Economics as a facilitating i.e. 'hard' subject.

2. Russell Group universities are all good, but not all good universities are in the Russell Group.

3. Law is extremely competitive. An AAA uni might accept you with AAB, but why would they do so? What would mark your application as special enough to lower their requirements at an early stage?

4. One way to find out might be to ask the relevant admissions departments before you head off to Australia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Economics is considered as respectful as facilitating subjects, as seen here.

2. Not many decent non-RG unis offer Law, e.g. Bath and St. Andrews.

3. Some RG unis have been in clearing, taking applicants with ABC or lower. E.g. Sheffield and Birmingham.

4. Yes.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've actually heard that many reasonable RG Law schools (Sheffield is an example but Nottingham seems most surprising) really inflate their requirements. I've heard that many people get into these places with one or two grades below what is requested.

thanks for your help

George

No. If they want AAA and you have AAB then no they won't accept you seeing as there are plenty who will be predicted or achieved at least AAA. Your application would be viewed as weak and in all likelihood binned without a second thought. Maybe if you resat or sat another A Level as Econ at A Level is not highly regarded. But you should aim for other schools with lower grades and who accept Econ and other crappy a levels.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I've actually heard that many reasonable RG Law schools (Sheffield is an example but Nottingham seems most surprising) really inflate their requirements. I've heard that many people get into these places with one or two grades below what is requested.

Sheffield isn't really a great law school and a rather overrated university at best whose reputation is based on being a party town for mediocre students who want to get drink and scraped a 2:2 and work in a law firm in some crap place like Leicester or Bangor.
Original post by Hulkamaniac
Sheffield isn't really a great law school and a rather overrated university at best whose reputation is based on being a party town for mediocre students who want to get drink and scraped a 2:2 and work in a law firm in some crap place like Leicester or Bangor.

... that was an escalation ...
Original post by tomfailinghelp
... that was an escalation ...

Sheffield isn't really that great though and that's the truth. It's a solid university but not anywhere near outstanding or elite or special.

Tbh the only truly world class universities the uk has are Oxford Cambridge Imperial LSE UCL KCL and Edinburgh. Manchester is getting there but just doesn't have the history or prestige of the others too northern too grimey stinks of cheap booze and kebabs. Otherwise the rest can't compete on a global stage at all. I mean the US has loads of world class places even a weak ivy like Dartmouth would be better than most UK Unis.
Original post by Exceptional
1. Economics is considered as respectful as facilitating subjects, as seen here.

2. Not many decent non-RG unis offer Law, e.g. Bath and St. Andrews.

3. Some RG unis have been in clearing, taking applicants with ABC or lower. E.g. Sheffield and Birmingham.

4. Yes.

1. True though I thought it necessary that the OP be aware that economics isn't quite as well regarded as they thought.

2. True though my main point was to refute the shallow belief that RG is essential.

3. True, which is why I stated 'at this time'. One problem is that the OP might well get rejected now even though applicants with worse results might get in through clearing, hence point 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for your help

George

I am afraid law has something of a false market at the moment. At least half the Russell Group cannot really sustain their standard offers but universities have been unwilling to cut their published standard offers as they are seen as a virility symbol.

For example Southampton is clearing today for law for 2014 entry at ABB (and cleared at the same grades last year), yet is still seeking AAA for 2015 entry having made AAA standard offers in 2014.

I will guarantee you that Southampton will clear at no higher than ABB next year unless the mayors of Aya Napa and Ibiza Town decide to move their entire cities lock, stock and barrel to the Solent.
Original post by nulli tertius
I am afraid law has something of a false market at the moment. At least half the Russell Group cannot really sustain their standard offers but universities have been unwilling to cut their published standard offers as they are seen as a virility symbol.

For example Southampton is clearing today for law for 2014 entry at ABB (and cleared at the same grades last year), yet is still seeking AAA for 2015 entry having made AAA standard offers in 2014.

I will guarantee you that Southampton will clear at no higher than ABB next year unless the mayors of Aya Napa and Ibiza Town decide to move their entire cities lock, stock and barrel to the Solent.

I'm sure the law bubble is going to burst soon. It really isn't a sustainable situation when every third sixth former wants to do law in the belief that there are enough jobs for them all. Time for another subject to become fashionable, don't you think?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm sure the law bubble is going to burst soon. It really isn't a sustainable situation when every third sixth former wants to do law in the belief that there are enough jobs for them all. Time for another subject to become fashionable, don't you think?

The problem is that we have something of an X-Factor culture. Unless and until the very top-paying law firms rein in their salaries for trainees, there will be a very few high paying entry-level jobs in the law and it is difficult for teenagers to really grasp how unlikely it is, that they will get one.

The problem continues for graduates. There are a lot of people sitting back and not taking what is on offer in the hope of securing the "top job". I've struggled recently to recruit for a paralegal position with prospects. The quality (but not the degrees) of the external applicants were very poor.
Original post by nulli tertius
The problem is that we have something of an X-Factor culture. Unless and until the very top-paying law firms rein in their salaries for trainees, there will be a very few high paying entry-level jobs in the law and it is difficult for teenagers to really grasp how unlikely it is, that they will get one.

The problem continues for graduates. There are a lot of people sitting back and not taking what is on offer in the hope of securing the "top job". I've struggled recently to recruit for a paralegal position with prospects. The quality (but not the degrees) of the external applicants were very poor.

You are so, so right in every respect. We have created a culture of thinking that wanting something very badly is the only thing that is needed for that thing to be attainable. The people who say 'Don't let anyone stop you chasing your dream' are really dangerous, in my view.

Quick Reply

Latest