The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Broaden your horizons, play with random operating systems, install linux, figure out how bash works, root a box, explore the file system.

Sticking to windows is ok, but if you really want a good all round understanding you need to play with less capitalist toys. most of the net is run on open source systems, e.g. unix, apache, php, mysql, bind.

I'm currently having a blast using open office instead of MS office, and its backwards compatible with MS office, which is great.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Other operating systems can be handy for development, especially internet releasted stuff (although usually server stuff tbh) and for those efficiency bandits!

However for the everyday run-of-the-mill user, Windows is the best because its alot less hassle and has alot more compatiability.

And yeh, open office is great! Used that a while back, it was real handy when sorting out some pdf's!
Reply 22
well, i now use linux as my main operating system, i find it to be just as good as windows ever was.

Its not just "good for dev" its a great all rounder

but yeah, for your average non computer savvy person windows or mac is the only choice, but i should think the computer savvy among us could handle linux and get the same results without any effort at all... its great
Reply 23
I play a lot of PC games, so even if I get linux I'd still use Windows a lot. Well... not as much when at uni.
Reply 24
yeah, well, if your a gamer then you'd use windows, but i dont game very much... i dual boott anyway, windows and linux on the same HDD, because i'd think i'd need windows for uni stuff, i'd assume where doing windows API stuff, among other things
Reply 25
Ubuntu is supposed to be good isn't it?

I might download it and make a partition to use it aswell as various other open source software, like GIMP and the likes.
Reply 26
ubuntu... i really dont like it, i guess its good for beginnners though,
Reply 27
Treception we need to go for a drink, thats if you are living at campus, do you run any websites or anything?

Latest

Trending

Trending