The Student Room Group

Publically Raising Terror Threat Level - whats the point?

whats the point of announcing on the news UK is raising the level to severe? presumabley not in response to some new surveillance ( would defeat the purpose). it wont change any public activity, perhaps behind the scenes security activity increases - but again, why announce this?
youd think that border controls should have already been tightend and again youd hope people with 'muslim names ' on their passports, particularly flying from turkey or pakistan should be reviewed carefully and detained if necessarily

i suspect the only groups that would react to this is islamists/jihadists, who would start jumping up and down saying to themselves "the uk is quaking in fear of us" even if thats not actual the reality

so whats the point?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So people are more alert for suspicious activity.

It's time to get your spidey senses on boys and girls. :smile:
To increase anti-muslim sentiment throughout the UK. As if there isn't enough of it already.
Reply 3
Because the UK is a democracy and people tend to worry if dozens of new police and security starts popping up without reason. It's for assurement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because it psychologically damages the mind of terrorists as they feel like their chances of success or low and they are going to get caught due to higher number of police around cities. All anti-terrorism measures are psychological.
Reply 5
[video="youtube;CV7CTlIcKlw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7CTlIcKlw[/video]
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
To increase anti-muslim sentiment throughout the UK. As if there isn't enough of it already.

I wish I could rep this :/ I've run out.
Original post by Blues Clues
I wish I could rep this :/ I've run out.

I'll rep it for you

But back to the thread, can we just stop interfering in the middle east and all of this will go away? :s-smilie:
Original post by Elm Tree
I'll rep it for you

But back to the thread, can we just stop interfering in the middle east and all of this will go away? :s-smilie:

Thank you! :smile:

And tbh I think the damage has been done :/
Original post by Elm Tree
I'll rep it for you

Except it won't. There are a fair amount of people in ISIS that hold passports from western countries, so they can just pop onto a plane, head out to a country that doesn't require them to get a visa (the US), and blow up a couple hundred people.

It's always cute when isolationists try to make that case though. Very Neville Chamberlain-ey.

**** off. You make it sound like ISIS are moderates who want to export ponies.
I think it's because they want to introduce measures against young men leaving the country to fight for ISIS.

If they don't raise the official terror level first, they won't have any answer when they're asked why they're suddenly in such a rush to do something about it.
Because the big bad British Politicians have pulled strings and forced the lovely Muslims of the world into extremism for the sake of increasing racism because they just love racism so, so much :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Original post by kurofune
Except it won't. There are a fair amount of people in ISIS that hold passports from western countries, so they can just pop onto a plane, head out to a country that doesn't require them to get a visa (the US), and blow up a couple hundred people.

It's always cute when isolationists try to make that case though. Very Neville Chamberlain-ey.

Lol isolationist. Naive dreams.
Reply 14
Original post by kurofune

One presumes that these people are not mentally ill to go about randomly blowing stuff up, instead utilising their logic to attack the countries which they believe have wronged them.

You see, if we stopped interfering in the Muslim countries, there would be no reason for these people to "pop onto a plane, head out to a country that doesn't require them to get a visa (the US), and blow up a couple hundred people"...
Reply 15
It's to make the people fearful so that, like mindless sheep, they swing behind the political apparatus to give support to those who are intent on introducing legislation giving greater intrusive/invasive powers to those who are intent on watching their population and wanting to know their citizen's every movement.

I think you'll find they are doing a pretty good job of that themselves.😄
Original post by Meenglishnogood
whats the point of announcing on the news UK is raising the level to severe? presumabley not in response to some new surveillance ( would defeat the purpose). it wont change any public activity, perhaps behind the scenes security activity increases - but again, why announce this?
youd think that border controls should have already been tightend and again youd hope people with 'muslim names ' on their passports, particularly flying from turkey or pakistan should be reviewed carefully and detained if necessarily

i suspect the only groups that would react to this is islamists/jihadists, who would start jumping up and down saying to themselves "the uk is quaking in fear of us" even if thats not actual the reality

so whats the point?

It is a way of creating a pre text amongst the population of the UK which would allow the government to implement some sort of strategy or policy that, under normal circumstances, would be deemed excessive or unjustified.

Expect radical action sanctioned by Cameron. Perhaps, quelling of pro-Palestine protests, excessive police and military force at the NATO conference in Cardiff or bombing in Syria and Iraq.

It doesn't mean ISIS are going to behead anyone in Britain although this is the thoughts Cameron and his government want to evoke.
Original post by Aj12
Because the UK is a democracy and people tend to worry if dozens of new police and security starts popping up without reason. It's for assurement

Posted from TSR Mobile

This guy's got it. Raising the terror threat level will correspond with a tightening in security, including armed police.
Reply 19
I said this the other day, too!

Clearly they don't watch Spooks. Got to keep what you know to yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending