The Student Room Group

still confused on a level choices

i handed in my final choices for sixth form subjects but having doubts i took maths after following some advice. I finalised maths accounts buisness studies and phycology ,however i stumbled across soft subjects and realised 3 out of my 4 subjects were considered soft so now left confused.Im still allowed to change my a levels in the first week so looking for some advice.
Original post by JWOK
i handed in my final choices for sixth form subjects but having doubts i took maths after following some advice. I finalised maths accounts buisness studies and phycology ,however i stumbled across soft subjects and realised 3 out of my 4 subjects were considered soft so now left confused.Im still allowed to change my a levels in the first week so looking for some advice.

What are you looking to do at University, and which University would you like to apply to?
It depends what you want to do at university. But, I would change Business for Economics. 2 Units of Economics are Micro which is business based.
Considered 'soft' where? What degree/career are you looking at? My only issue with your choices would probably be the large levels of 'cross-over' between accounts and maths, and accounts and business.
Reply 4
im looking at an accountancy degree or an degree in economics then additional course to be an accountant.i checked on tsr and buisness and accounts are deemed soft :/ and on some newspaper article.And as for unis i have no particular prefrence but any uni that is part of the russel group.

Thanks for replying :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Psychology is a respected alevel.
it is not "soft" and actually one of the harder alevels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JWOK

Psychology is not a soft option, it's not a 'facilitating' subject like maths, but it is well-respected.

Business studies and accounting are not all that well-regarded by russell group unis, you would be better off with economics and/or geography, which is very similar and more applicable for what you want to do.
If you really want to do business or accounting then do, but it would be best to swap at least one of them for a stronger subject. Out of these two I believe that business studies is better regarded. UCL doesn't even include accounting in their list of 70+ acceptable A-levels, and they are quite flexible with subjects; but accounting may be useful and I think LSE may like it even if others don't.

You may be required to have maths, and you may be required to have a social science subject (e.g. economics, geography, etc.)

If you really like numbers could you do further maths? This would probably give you an edge for accounting and economics degrees.

Have a look at this for the russell group guide to a-level choices: http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices.aspx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Considered 'soft' where? What degree/career are you looking at? My only issue with your choices would probably be the large levels of 'cross-over' between accounts and maths, and accounts and business.

I have done both and I can guarantee there is virtually no crossover between Accounting and Maths; they are totally different and nothing alike. Not done Business so not sure about that, but Economics is a good, solid subject.
Reply 8
im not that particularly fond of maths otherwise i would have taken further maths aswell.It is probably one of my weaker subjects as i had gotten a b in it.And as for economics didnt really like the taster :/ and geography studied at gcse and wasnt that intresting.Does it matter too much if i take buisness and accounting because im planning on dropping accounts in the first year anyway ?

and how hard is economics at a level ?
(edited 9 years ago)
At the end of the day as long as you know what subjects you need for your uni degree, then you are fine ^-^ If you don't know what you need use the UCAS course search tool :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by missfats
Psychology is a respected alevel.
it is not "soft" and actually one of the harder alevels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, this is so not true. It's far from one of the softest, and is accepted as a third A-level pretty much everywhere. But it's not on a level with English Lit/History/Art/Languages/Maths/Sciences/RS.
Reply 11
I searched as u said and most economic and accountancy need maths hence why I'm taking it.
Reply 12
Most places really won't care that much about your 4th AS

Economics isnt as difficult as people make it out to be - heck, for AS theres multi choice :wink: Just requires a bit of logical thinking and detailed reading into the topics to gain a full understand

Original post by JWOK
im not that particularly fond of maths otherwise i would have taken further maths aswell.It is probably one of my weaker subjects as i had gotten a b in it.And as for economics didnt really like the taster :/ and geography studied at gcse and wasnt that intresting.Does it matter too much if i take buisness and accounting because im planning on dropping accounts in the first year anyway ?

and how hard is economics at a level ?
Reply 13
I'll see if I'm allowed to change buisness for economics so my choices would become maths accounts economics and physcology but I'm still worried that if I pick to many hard subjects I may struggle and will not be able to cope.I am better at essay based subjects than ones that require lots of maths
Original post by Ronove
Lol, this is so not true. It's far from one of the softest, and is accepted as a third A-level pretty much everywhere. But it's not on a level with English Lit/History/Art/Languages/Maths/Sciences/RS.

Please learn to read.
I said psychology is not a soft option and is one of the harder alevels aswell as being respected. :redface: art has nothing on psychology. it is the 4th most taken alevel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JWOK
I'll see if I'm allowed to change buisness for economics so my choices would become maths accounts economics and physcology but I'm still worried that if I pick to many hard subjects I may struggle and will not be able to cope.I am better at essay based subjects than ones that require lots of maths

I'm doing 4 essay subjects (including economics and psychology) aswell. If you are good at them, then go for them. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by missfats
Please learn to read.
I said psychology is not a soft option and is one of the harder alevels aswell as being respected. :redface: art has nothing on psychology. it is the 4th most taken alevel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please learn to think critically.

Being popular has no relation to whether Psychology is 'one of the harder A-levels' or not. Your wording (in that post, and the one I'm quoting) tries to suggest that Psychology falls among the traditional subjects in terms of difficult and respect. It does not. If you want to describe it as 'one of the harder A-levels' then that group of harder A-levels must include an awful lot of subjects.

Also you're wrong about Art. There's really not much more I can say about that. You've spent too much time on TSR if you think Art is one of the easier subjects or much less respected than the traditional subjects I mentioned. Saying it has 'nothing on Psychology' is a joke.
Original post by Ronove
Please learn to think critically.

Being popular has no relation to whether Psychology is 'one of the harder A-levels' or not. Your wording (in that post, and the one I'm quoting) tries to suggest that Psychology falls among the traditional subjects in terms of difficult and respect. It does not. If you want to describe it as 'one of the harder A-levels' then that group of harder A-levels must include an awful lot of subjects.

Also you're wrong about Art. There's really not much more I can say about that. You've spent too much time on TSR if you think Art is one of the easier subjects or much less respected than the traditional subjects I mentioned. Saying it has 'nothing on Psychology' is a joke.

I am not suggesting that psychology falls on the same level as traditional subject.

The rest is just baseless rambling. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest