The Student Room Group

I can't afford to go to University?

Hello,

I am feeling very sad and disappointed as I have just found out that my parents earn a little over £45,000 a year which means that I am not eligible for any help.

On paper, it would seem that my parents should be able to support me through University in terms of funding. But that isn't the case since they have a lot to pay for and are struggling to make ends meet each month.

Going to university to study Accounting and Finance is what I want to do and I would like to become a Chartered Accountant. I am now going into Year 13 and I would like to know if anyone out there is in the same sort of position as I am in or have been and what options I have in terms of being able to fund myself through University?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this!
You could use deferred entry and take a gap year after you have finished your A2's, and then work for a year to help fund yourself.
Reply 2
This may be a long shot but have you considered starting a kick starter? just write down your story and the amount you need, there are so surprisingly generous people out there!:smile:
Original post by JAndre96
Hello,

I am feeling very sad and disappointed as I have just found out that my parents earn a little over £45,000 a year which means that I am not eligible for any help.

On paper, it would seem that my parents should be able to support me through University in terms of funding. But that isn't the case since they have a lot to pay for and are struggling to make ends meet each month.

Going to university to study Accounting and Finance is what I want to do and I would like to become a Chartered Accountant. I am now going into Year 13 and I would like to know if anyone out there is in the same sort of position as I am in or have been and what options I have in terms of being able to fund myself through University?

"you're not eligible for any help" as in Student loan right? Also, I agree with the other guy, taking a gap year is a good option.
Tell your parents to sort out their priorities, if they put luxuries about your education I'm afraid you've been failed by them. I'd even suggest they don't love you.
I'm not sure what you mean by not being eligible for any help - there's a minimum amount that you're still entitled to for the Maintenance Loan, and then the Tuition Fee Loan is still fine no matter what your household income?

If you can't afford to be living away from home perhaps consider a university that you could commute from?
Reply 6
Thank you all so much for your advice, I will be taking the gap year option into serious consideration.

As for the guy who might suggest that my parents may not love me, I hope they do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I agree with the gap year scenario, its what I'm doing (but I'm a mature student.) I think how the student finance works out is rubbish, some people are persecuted more than others e.g. I don't think SF should go by parents income as, at 18, your finances, debts, loans etc should be your responsibility.
Original post by Conzy210
Tell your parents to sort out their priorities, if they put luxuries about your education I'm afraid you've been failed by them. I'd even suggest they don't love you.

That's true and comical at the same time.
Original post by JAndre96
Hello,

Your parents would save money while your away at uni on food and other you-based expenses. They could try and calculate how much extra they spend while you're at home. They could afford to give you whatever they save whilst you're away.

The gap year idea, either way, could make things much easier for you. Plus a year of experience working (if you can get a decent job) can only be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another option is not to go to university at all. Becoming a chartered accountant doesn't require a degree. You can apply for school leavers trainee positions that will put you through ICAS, ACCA or whatever professional body it is that company prefers to use for training. If this wasn't an option, you do have the option of funding yourself through the chartership whilst you work elsewhere. That is substantially cheaper than university.

I understand you want to go to university and get a degree (a&f student here, seeking to become a chartered accountant in the future), but if you really can't afford it then there are definitely other options out there :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending