The Student Room Group

i wanna be an english teacher but not sure of which a levels to take

my options are:
English language and lit
sociology
government and politics
and physiology

Are these okay and would any of these subjects prevent from becoming an English teacher in the future?? i would appreciate your advice thank you!!!!
Do you mean A level psychology? They should be fine in regards to getting you a place at university, and progress to a pgce.
Government and Politics is a bit random.
They will be absolutely fine! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You might be best to take both English Literature and/or English Language, as the combined A Level doesn't go into as much depth. Also, if you're going to do an English degree, having English Literature and English Language would be better when applying to university than the combined English A Level.
Reply 5
Original post by lizz-ie
You might be best to take both English Literature and/or English Language, as the combined A Level doesn't go into as much depth. Also, if you're going to do an English degree, having English Literature and English Language would be better when applying to university than the combined English A Level.

yeah i know but in my 6 form its one A level and i have no choice but to take it and its a bit late now to move to another 6 form or college but would it effect me that much to get into uni just because i took it as one a level
Reply 6
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Do you mean A level psychology? They should be fine in regards to getting you a place at university, and progress to a pgce.

yeah i mean A level psychology :smile:
Reply 7
really?how? :confused:
Original post by noey123
really?how? :confused:

If you don't think teaching is a tough job, you really need to read more about it. Pick up a few copies of TES magazine, read some blogs like this one, talk to teachers, etc.
Original post by noey123
my options are:
English language and lit
sociology
government and politics
and physiology

Are these okay and would any of these subjects prevent from becoming an English teacher in the future?? i would appreciate your advice thank you!!!!

If I were you I'd do an Undergraduate in English studies and then a conversion course/ diploma in eduction:smile:

So to do English Studies and Studies in Education/ teacher training I would:

change Government and politics to one from:

Art and Design
History
Religious Studies
A modern foreign language

I just think this because these are A levels taken by a large percentage of students taking both these courses in the uk, e.g. Are versitile for either pathway you decide to choose.

(Acoording to a survey from 2012) Students doing a teacher training degree:

60%: English (Lang or lit)
42%: Psychology
30%: History
26%: Art and Design
26%: Sociology
23%: Religious Studies
21%: MFL

It doesn't mention students doing G+P so that must be a v low percentage.

Students doing an English degree:

100%: English (Lang or lit)
51%: History
34%: Psychology
24%: Art and Design
24%: Religious Studies
23%: MFL
22%: Sociology

Only 3% do G+P

Just some food for thought :smile:
Original post by PythianLegume
If you don't think teaching is a tough job, you really need to read more about it. Pick up a few copies of TES magazine, read some blogs like this one, talk to teachers, etc.

If s/he wants to be an English teacher let them! There's always demand for teachers, go into it if you want then see if it's for you or not! Two of my best friends parents teach at a high school/ 6th form college and they love it. :smile:
Original post by kiera28
If I were you I'd do an Undergraduate in English studies and then a conversion course/ diploma in eduction:smile:

Art and Design
History
Religious Studies

I just think this because these are A levels taken by a large percentage of students taking both these courses in the uk, e.g. Are versitile for either pathway you decide to choose.

Only 3% do G+P

This is bad advice. Those percentages exist because people who want to do these degrees enjoy those subjects. It's not because admissions departments like them. The OP has the only important requirement for an English or English/Education degree, and that's an English A-Level. The other A-Levels don't matter at all, and the OP should take the ones they enjoy the most, which will likely be the ones they'll also do best in.
Original post by PythianLegume
This is bad advice. Those percentages exist because people who want to do these degrees enjoy those subjects. It's not because admissions departments like them. The OP has the only important requirement for an English or English/Education degree, and that's an English A-Level. The other A-Levels don't matter at all, and the OP should take the ones they enjoy the most, which will likely be the ones they'll also do best in.

The students may well have taken them because they enjoy these subjects..but these are the percentages of people who were accepted into these degrees. Half of the students emitted took history: that's not going to be a coincidence. I was just saying that more people took these subjects and successfully did these courses than people doing Politics. I was just giving food for thought and trying to keep all options open. In the question they asked if any of their options would stop them from from becoming an English teacher. I don't think G+P would stop you, I just think the uni's aren't as interested in it as other A level subjects. :smile:
Original post by kiera28
The students may well have taken them because they enjoy these subjects..but these are the percentages of people who were accepted into these degrees. Half of the students emitted took history: that's not going to be a coincidence. I was just saying that more people took these subjects and successfully did these courses than people doing Politics. I was just giving food for thought and trying to keep all options open. In the question they asked if any of their options would stop them from from becoming an English teacher. I don't think G+P would stop you, I just think the uni's aren't as interested in it as other A level subjects. :smile:

But those figures are meaningless unless you also have data for the applicants. If 50% of applicants also had History A-Level, then the stats mean nothing - it would show no preference.
Reply 14
Original post by kiera28

Art and Design
History
Religious Studies

Only 3% do G+P

other than government and politics will the other subject effect me in anyway and i will like to get into kings in the future by the way
Original post by noey123
other than government and politics will the other subject effect me in anyway and i will like to get into kings in the future by the way

Some people might say Psychology and Sociology are very similar, but that shouldn't hold you back in any way, especially if you get good grades... Maybe you could take two 'facilitating/ preferred subjects' if you're worried, as Psychology/Sociology are sometimes considered soft... So maybe take one of these two (your best/ your favourite) along with a strong subject (a foreign language, biology or maths maybe?). But only if you're worried. I think Psychology, Sociology and English Literature would be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest