The Student Room Group

AS Further Maths or Physics?

Recently I've been thinking about changing my A Level options. I've enrolled for Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Biology, but because my original choice was going to be Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (changed because the Physics teacher is crap), the head of sixth form said I could change my options again a few weeks into September. I intend to drop Further Maths/Physics at A2 (because neither is necessary for Medicine). Which subject would be better for me to take?
Reply 1
Just be aware that if you take further maths, then quite a few unis will cut you off more or less since they do not count further maths as an AS (And all med schools ask for an AS i think)

That being said, theres a good list on TSR on schools which accept further maths - If all your possible choices (though its hard to say in your current position), further maths may be perfectly fine.
I would say Further Maths for medicine. :smile:
I would say take four subjects each year. So do further maths with your AS and drop it. When you advance to A2, take AS Physics. I suggest you take Mechanics units for further maths as it helps a little with Physics. You don't necessarily have to do this, but if you can't decide then this is one of the options you could consider.
Reply 4
Original post by victoria98
Recently I've been thinking about changing my A Level options. I've enrolled for Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Biology, but because my original choice was going to be Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (changed because the Physics teacher is crap), the head of sixth form said I could change my options again a few weeks into September. I intend to drop Further Maths/Physics at A2 (because neither is necessary for Medicine). Which subject would be better for me to take?

Don't do Further Maths, you're going to limit your choices when applying
Original post by victoria98

Do physics. It opens so many more options. Who knows what you may end up applying for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest