The Student Room Group

YOUR views on how blackness is portrayed in the media!

Hi y'all, just wondering how you think blackness is viewed on TV. Do you feel as if their is a blatant anti-blackness message being portrayed? In general TV shows, news,m commercials etc etc

I remember being bombared with the clasic blonde, skinny, blue eyed white gals on TV over and over again to the point I actually thought if you posses what are deemed white features than you are considered more beautiful. For instance the more narrow your nose is, the more defined your curls are etc. ****ing hell, I can't believe I actually beleved this ****. E.g. the fetish certain men have for people from the horn of Africa, is a perfect of this.

Anyways what are y'all views, boo.
So if people aren't attracted to black women then it's unfair because White is portrayed as beautiful, but if they are then it's unfair because they're being fetishised?

It can't be won
horn of Africa is hawt.
:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is some improvement for black women more are appearing on magazines like vogue, but the media is generally still portraying white women/men as ideal. About 70% of black women in magazines and adverts these days are either mixed or photoshopped to oblivion to meet societies beauty standards.

Things are changing but were not quite there yet.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
So if people aren't attracted to black women then it's unfair because White is portrayed as beautiful, but if they are then it's unfair because they're being fetishised?

It can't be won

No, what I clearly meant that the more 'white ' featuresa black woman has , the more that she is considered beautiful as opposed to women with more "African" features, I.e. hair texture wise. I did make it clear, but obvss you had to chat some **** bbz.

Original post by missfats
horn of Africa is hawt.
:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youuu know boo. We hot as hell, but anyways really wanted to get to the bottom of this.
Original post by Black Cat
There is some improvement for black women more are appearing on magazines like vogue, but the media is generally still portraying white women/men as ideal. About 70% of black women in magazines and adverts these days are either mixed or photoshopped to oblivion to meet societies beauty standards.

Things are changing but were not quite there yet.

Yasss!! I have seen that too. However, it seems that if we do get a "proper" African model, she is being fetished purely for that. Clear example being Lupita in 12 years a slave. She was merely a sex symbol to look at for white man who fantasise black pussy.

Also, another point is that back women always seem to be over sexualised in the media to the points of being blooming objects. For white dicks to drool on.
I think they forget that black pudding can be made using many types of animal blood, not just pig.
Reply 7
Pretty much agree tbh. We've come a way but still have a long way to go. Same with society in general and not only to black people but other ethnicities as well.

Atleast its not as bad as it is in America.
I hate the fact that they think orange is the new black when black is the new black because it is black and always has been.
Reply 9
Original post by tarmaclover
I hate the fact that they think orange is the new black when black is the new black because it is black and always has been.

lol
Original post by Chukkeigh
Yasss!! I have seen that too. However, it seems that if we do get a "proper" African model, she is being fetished purely for that. Clear example being Lupita in 12 years a slave. She was merely a sex symbol to look at for white man who fantasise black pussy.

Also, another point is that back women always seem to be over sexualised in the media to the points of being blooming objects. For white dicks to drool on.

The only way to truly portray and promote black beauty is by having real "African models" at the moment we only have mixed or partly mixed models. But the black models these days are picked on short criteria all you need to be a model is to be "black" These model agencies do not know true black beauty and will pick any black person to model. Just look at Alek Wek average at best.

White people will always have fetishes for other races blacks (Jungle fever) Asians(Yellow fever), Latinos etc. Things will always remain the in the west as white being preferred race of beauty. Just as Africans prefer black as beauty.
I think the worst is how anti-blackness is spread within black communities too, that's how far it reaches. Colour-ism etc because societies standards of 'beauty' are the opposite of how black people look like. Other ethnicities are effected by this too. Straight hair and fair skin is seen as the ideal (amongst other things).
Nicki minaj anaconda music video says it all

beautifully worded (not joking)
Original post by tomfailinghelp

It can't be won

Hi y'all, just wondering how you think blackness is viewed on TV. Do you feel as if their is a blatant anti-blackness message being portrayed? In general TV shows, news,m commercials etc etc

I remember being bombared with the clasic blonde, skinny, blue eyed white gals on TV over and over again to the point I actually thought if you posses what are deemed white features than you are considered more beautiful. For instance the more narrow your nose is, the more defined your curls are etc. ****ing hell, I can't believe I actually beleved this ****. E.g. the fetish certain men have for people from the horn of Africa, is a perfect of this.

Anyways what are y'all views, boo.

I've had this argument a million times.

If white men particularly like black women, we're fetishists
If we don't we're racist
If we don't care about their race, we are being colourblind and erasing their POC blackness

There is no way someone being that unreasonable can be reasoned with. I take the third point of view, and anyone who has a problem with that can cry me a river.
Original post by TheAnusFiles

If we don't we're racist
If we don't care about their race, we are being colourblind and erasing their POC blackness

There is no way someone being that unreasonable can be reasoned with. I take the third point of view, and anyone who has a problem with that can cry me a river.

AMEN, Praise The Lord!
Original post by Black Cat
The only way to truly portray and promote black beauty is by having real "African models" at the moment we only have mixed or partly mixed models. But the black models these days are picked on short criteria all you need to be a model is to be "black" These model agencies do not know true black beauty and will pick any black person to model. Just look at Alek Wek average at best.

White people will always have fetishes for other races blacks (Jungle fever) Asians(Yellow fever), Latinos etc. Things will always remain the in the west as white being preferred race of beauty. Just as Africans prefer black as beauty.

Alek Wek seems to be an example of white racism to me. The way she is promoted suggests that some people think that that is as attractive as black women come. Look at Oluchi Onweagba for heavens sake. Badoing

Got to disagree with your last paragraph though. Never been to Africa so I've never experienced... snowflake fever? cocaine fever..? vanilla fever?.. but in Japan they have a word called Gaijin hunter, i.e. Japanese women that specifically target European/American immigrants

If we don't we're racist

None said anything about 'you' being racist. Just how anti-black the media seems to be.

Original post by white boy
beautifully worded (not joking)

Thank you. I do try.

Original post by Sophsha
Nicki minaj anaconda music video says it all

Huh?
Original post by SophiaLDN
I think the worst is how anti-blackness is spread within black communities too, that's how far it reaches. Colour-ism etc because societies standards of 'beauty' are the opposite of how black people look like. Other ethnicities are effected by this too. Straight hair and fair skin is seen as the ideal (amongst other things).

Yass! That too. How we are often referred to as 'light' vs 'dark' skin. And if you are 'light' skin, you are deemed more beautiful. I used to straighten my hair constantly as a teenager, because apparently my curly fro was 'untamed'. Wtf?!

It is said how this is also present in Somali communities., with people using bleach such as Diana etc to appear lighter and thus more 'beautiful'.
I am one of the least prejudiced and least racist people I know, but I'm not really sure what you're complaining about. To answer your question in the first paragraph, no, I don't think there is an 'anti black agenda' in the media.

Black people aren't missing in the media. They are actors, presenters, singers, models, everything.

This is one of the most multi ethnic, tolerant countries in the world. But 87.1% of the country is still white. So obviously the predominantly white ethnic make-up of the country is going to be reflected in the media.

The fact is that most people date within their own race. Of course this is changing, and it should, but nevertheless, people tend to stick to their own race. Most people find the features of their own race attractive. If these 'white features' are shown more on TV it's because this is a predominantly white country.

Just for the record, I am a white male and would happily date a black girl.
(edited 9 years ago)
Alek Wek seems to be an example of white racism to me. The way she is promoted suggests that some people think that that is as attractive as black women come. Look at Oluchi Onweagba for heavens sake. Badoing

Got to disagree with your last paragraph though. Never been to Africa so I've never experienced... snowflake fever? cocaine fever..? vanilla fever?.. but in Japan they have a word called Gaijin hunter, i.e. Japanese women that specifically target European/American immigrants

It's just that the western media has no clue on what "black" beauty is and will pick anyone that fits a certain criteria. It is almost as if they can't tell the differences between black people. Insulting indeed but we all know that there is some anti-black agenda going on. Oluchi Onweagba isn't that bad but we have better looking black women working in supermarkets :rolleyes:

Lol Gajin hunters they be looking for dat green card

Quick Reply