The Student Room Group

history is written by the victors?

to what extent is this true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well for me History was written by Ben Walsh, and published by Hodder Education.
Original post by the north

Completely true.
The French / American / British revolutionaries pushed the myth of Enlightenment on us to smear the times that came before it.

Russia ended the Napoleonic war, First and Second World War. That's the history.

Who ended them? Russia
Wars are ended by the victors? Yes
So the histories were completed by Russians

Napoleon: "The most terrible of all my battles was the one before Moscow. The French showed themselves to be worthy of victory, but the Russians showed themselves worthy of being invincible"

Paul von Hindenburg: " I know 100 ways to angry a Russian bear from a den, but I do not know how to drag them back" -It was the caution for Hitler
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DaniilKaya
Russia ended the Napoleonic war, First and Second World War. That's the history.

Who ended them? Russia
Wars are ended by the victors? Yes
So the histories were completed by Russians

Victors can also mean trade and information war though, the Americans held out while the Soviets collapsed internally through weakness so the American propaganda won.
Original post by Malorys ballsack
Victors can also mean trade and information war though, the Americans held out while the Soviets collapsed internally through weakness so the American propaganda won.

What weakness? What propoganda?

Soviet Union collapsed when Gorbachev became President, west knew he is weak so Margaret Thatcher invited him. Gorbachev on the next day established multi-party system.
(edited 9 years ago)
What weakness? What propoganda?

Soviet Union collapsed when Gorbachev became President, west knew he is weak so Margaret Thatcher invited him. Gorbachev on the next day established multi-party system.

Lol what propaganda? Did you miss the persecution of innocents and hysteria about communism in America?
I don't think that Haig was particularly victorious. :erm:
Lol what propaganda? Did you miss the persecution of innocents and hysteria about communism in America?

What is your point?

People in Soviet Union could not go to Europe or America, only celebrities and politicians could. Soviets didn't really show what was going on abroad.
What is your point?

People in Soviet Union could not go to Europe or America, only celebrities and politicians could. Soviets didn't really show what was going on abroad.

My point is force alone does not determine who is the victor. Which you seem to be agreeing with me on.
My point is force alone does not determine who is the victor. Which you seem to be agreeing with me on.

I know that and agree with you with that. But I want know what bad things the soviets did abroad?
Reply 12
Of course just look how they cover up all the rapes/murders of the British empire...
Reply 13

Obviously? Dead people can't write history.
Original post by Arkasia
Well for me History was written by Ben Walsh, and published by Hodder Education.

Oh christ I actually can't stop laughing.

This is way too funny... I should probably get out more.

Ben Walsh IS the utter best though. :wink:
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
Oh christ I actually can't stop laughing.

This is way too funny... I should probably get out more.

Ben Walsh IS the utter best though. :wink:

Damn straight he is the best :cool:
Original post by MrAngel
Of course just look how they cover up all the rapes/murders of the British empire...

Yeah right.

Always 100% true.

But not only history, the current reality is defined by the victors or powers that be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WW2 would be a great example after all Nazi's were unfairly found guilty of crimes that later were found out to be committed by the Soviet Jewnion.Poltiical corectness can play a huge roll on spinning history. History has a very Jewish narrative, that is apart from what we see Jews in Israel doing the Jews don't have a crime to their name do they? that's because it's "anti-semetic" to say Jews were hugely involved in the slave trade, or even ask an important question what did Jews do to the Germans?
seems like a 20th century totalitarians dream about being able to suppress unflattering non authorised accounts once you've defeated a people and got your boot on their throat.

what actually seems to often happen is that the losers version doesn't just vanish and festers away as part of a victimhood narrative ready to flare up into another conflict, if the winners are carried away reading their own flattering hype they won't be expecting it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending