The Student Room Group

Should I do Spanish A level?

What do you think of any of these A levels?
Spanish, Art, English Lit, Religious Studies.
I'm going into year 11 now and am choosing my AS levels this half term. I'm predicted 6A*s, 3 As and a B (which I'm trying to being up to an A) for GCSE. In these subjects I'm predicted:
A, A*, A*, A*
I want to do Law at a Russell Group university. Can anyone who has done/ is doing any of these subjects tell me what they think of them?
How time consuming are they?
Are they enjoyable?
Do they 'go well' together?
The jump from GCSE?
A suitable combo for law?*
Just general opinions?
How hard are they?
I know they're all hard, but am I thinking of taking one which everyone agrees is stupidly difficult?

* I am not going to take Law A level, Incase anyone was going to suggest it, it's seen as a disadvantage by the universities I want to apply for. My school doesn't offer Philosophy, Sociology, Psychology etc. Only traditional academic subjects (plus Economics, Politics and Business.)

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by kiera28
What do you think of any of these A levels?
Spanish, Art, English Lit, Religious Studies.
I'm going into year 11 now and am choosing my AS levels this half term. I'm predicted 6A*s, 3 As and a B (which I'm trying to being up to an A) for GCSE. In these subjects I'm predicted:
A, A*, A*, A*
I want to do Law at a Russell Group university. Can anyone who has done/ is doing any of these subjects tell me what they think of them?
How time consuming are they?
Are they enjoyable?
Do they 'go well' together?
The jump from GCSE?
A suitable combo for law?*
Just general opinions?
How hard are they?
I know they're all hard, but am I thinking of taking one which everyone agrees is stupidly difficult?

* I am not going to take Law A level, Incase anyone was going to suggest it, it's seen as a disadvantage by the universities I want to apply for. My school doesn't offer Philosophy, Sociology, Psychology etc. Only traditional academic subjects (plus Economics, Politics and Business.)

Thanks. :smile:

Hi! I'm currently doing A level Spanish and I would definitely recommend it. The first few weeks of AS Spanish are really tough, I won't lie. Languages are really low in demand for A level and it'll be to your advantage if you have a smaller class! There's always an opportunity of mixing Spanish and Law at university, since it's an advantage to have such an important language today at a high level. I'm hoping to study Spanish at university. If you're looking to become a lawyer, and if you continue Spanish beyond A level, the European Union actively recruits lawyer-linguists! Something to think about :smile: Studying Spanish is really rewarding, you don't really realise how much Spanish you know until you visit Spain/another Spanish speaking country after doing one year of AS - I was shocked when I visited Spain this summer!

Russell Group produced a booklet Informed Choices and listed degrees and preferable A level subjects for the degrees. http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

History is always good to have if you're doing Law. English Literature is a really good subject according to the link I've attached for Law. The only subject which might be considered 'soft' by Russell Group universities would be Art (it's a really time consuming A level!) Art may not be a suitable combo for Law.

Anyway, for Spanish, the jump isn't HUGE between GCSE and A level, but you will get into a way of working things. I can't recommend Spanish more! You should have a look at the A level Spanish course and see if you would be interested in the contexts of learning that you will study.
Original post by stewarte
Hi! I'm currently doing A level Spanish and I would definitely recommend it. The first few weeks of AS Spanish are really tough, I won't lie. Languages are really low in demand for A level and it'll be to your advantage if you have a smaller class! There's always an opportunity of mixing Spanish and Law at university, since it's an advantage to have such an important language today at a high level. I'm hoping to study Spanish at university. If you're looking to become a lawyer, and if you continue Spanish beyond A level, the European Union actively recruits lawyer-linguists! Something to think about :smile: Studying Spanish is really rewarding, you don't really realise how much Spanish you know until you visit Spain/another Spanish speaking country after doing one year of AS - I was shocked when I visited Spain this summer!

Russell Group produced a booklet Informed Choices and listed degrees and preferable A level subjects for the degrees. http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

History is always good to have if you're doing Law. English Literature is a really good subject according to the link I've attached for Law. The only subject which might be considered 'soft' by Russell Group universities would be Art (it's a really time consuming A level!) Art may not be a suitable combo for Law.

Anyway, for Spanish, the jump isn't HUGE between GCSE and A level, but you will get into a way of working things. I can't recommend Spanish more! You should have a look at the A level Spanish course and see if you would be interested in the contexts of learning that you will study.

I know arts a bit random but I really love it. Okay, I'll give Spanish a go. I'm definitely doing English Lit, but I can't do history at my school so I'm doing RS instead (plus it's my best subject). Okay I'll go check out the courses:smile: Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
I know arts a bit random but I really love it. Okay, I'll give Spanish a go. I'm definitely doing English Lit, but I can't do history at my school so I'm doing RS instead (plus it's my best subject). Okay I'll go check out the courses:smile: Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you do like the subjects that you do at A level, that's my only piece of advice! It's up to you what to do :smile: English Lit & Spanish are considered strong subjects in applying to university (Russell Group). It's really hard to differentiate between a 'soft' subject and a 'strong' subject.

Here's a BBC article which might help you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12365050

Subjects that are considered 'strong' are:
English, Maths (and Further Maths), Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, History and Classical & Modern Languages

Hope this helps!
Make sure you do like the subjects that you do at A level, that's my only piece of advice! It's up to you what to do :smile: English Lit & Spanish are considered strong subjects in applying to university (Russell Group). It's really hard to differentiate between a 'soft' subject and a 'strong' subject.

Here's a BBC article which might help you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12365050

Subjects that are considered 'strong' are:
English, Maths (and Further Maths), Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, History and Classical & Modern Languages

Hope this helps!

I do like all my options. :smile: Okay. I hope Religious Studies will be fine for law too (it's essay-based, and includes lots of debating skills and remembering facts) cuz I think I'll do that as my 4th AS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, this is sort of unrelated to the op, but since you've studied spanish AS I wanted to ask about how you found it, as I want to study it, but my school doesn't offer it (only french and german smh). I'm concerned about my speaking getting terrible/the difficulty of the modules/where I would find resources from. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending