The Student Room Group

Should I do Art A level?

What do you think of any of these A levels?
Spanish, Art, English Lit, Religious Studies.
I'm going into year 11 now and am choosing my AS levels this half term. I'm predicted 6A*s, 3 As and a B (which I'm trying to being up to an A) for GCSE. In these subjects I'm predicted:
A, A*, A*, A*
I want to do Law at a Russell Group university. Can anyone who has done/ is doing any of these subjects tell me what they think of them?
How time consuming are they?
Are they enjoyable?
Do they 'go well' together?
The jump from GCSE?
A suitable combo for law?*
Just general opinions?
How hard are they?
I know they're all hard, but am I thinking of taking one which everyone agrees is stupidly difficult?

* I am not going to take Law A level, Incase anyone was going to suggest it, it's seen as a disadvantage by the universities I want to apply for. My school doesn't offer Philosophy, Sociology, Psychology etc. Only traditional academic subjects (plus Economics, Politics and Business.)

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
I'd like another formal essay subject in there really, ideally history. Art's a lot of work, and not relevant to your degree, but if you have a passion for it by all means continue. I'd recommend English Lit and history as massively advantageous, though.
Original post by tory88
I'd like another formal essay subject in there really, ideally history. Art's a lot of work, and not relevant to your degree, but if you have a passion for it by all means continue. I'd recommend English Lit and history as massively advantageous, though.

I can't do history because I didn't choose it for gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg why does everyone want to do law...
art is only time consuming if you're bad at it/takes you ages to do a drawing/painting tbh.

Original post by Fairytail

ye its so boring

What is your problem? It looks like a really interesting career and I think I'd be good at it because of my strengths: English (essay writing), debating (successfully), public speaking and remembering facts. Just cuz you're not interested. Okay so a lot of people want to do it but don't you think there are reasons for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
What is your problem? It looks like a really interesting career and I think I'd be good at it because of my strengths: English (essay writing), debating (successfully), public speaking and remembering facts. Just cuz you're not interested. Okay so a lot of people want to do it but don't you think there are reasons for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

so mainstream though
Original post by kiera28

Posted from TSR Mobile

we've got too many people with law degrees; the market is saturated and it's tough enough as it is for law graduates to get a contract.

a lot of people want to do it because of their sheep like mentality; they don't know what it entails after the degree, they just see the floral representation of the proud lawyer and the prestige of such a career.

do something in the STEM field...
we've got too many people with law degrees; the market is saturated and it's tough enough as it is for law graduates to get a contract.

a lot of people want to do it because of their sheep like mentality; they don't know what it entails after the degree, they just see the floral representation of the proud lawyer and the prestige of such a career.

lol STEM

I'm not being a sheep though. I'm genuinely interesting in law and criminal psychology. Call me a geek but I'm not interested in taking a degree in anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
I'm not being a sheep though. I'm genuinely interesting in law and criminal psychology. Call me a geek but I'm not interested in taking a degree in anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

if that's what you want fine. but just to let you know there are many law graduates with 2:1 from russel group universities who are currently unemployed because it's THAT difficuilt to get pupilage.

and i would suggest you drop ART and replace it with politics as some of the things you learn in politics will crop up in your law degree.

for your final A levels Spanish, English Lit and Politics would be a strong combination if you get top grades in them.
if that's what you want fine. but just to let you know there are many law graduates with 2:1 from russel group universities who are currently unemployed because it's THAT difficuilt to get pupilage.

and i would suggest you drop ART and replace it with politics as some of the things you learn in politics will crop up in your law degree.

for your final A levels Spanish, English Lit and Politics would be a strong combination if you get top grades in them.

If it doesn't work out though, it's still a good degree to have? It shows you're a hard worker and with a conversion course you can go into loads of other professions with it!

Okay I'll think about Politics, though I've never done anything like it before so idk if I could get as good grades in it. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
If it doesn't work out though, it's still a good degree to have? It shows you're a hard worker and with a conversion course you can go into loads of other professions with it!

Okay I'll think about Politics, though I've never done anything like it before so idk if I could get as good grades in it. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't even listen to him. I have friends who got into top top Russel group unis with history, English lit and art for law. I'm talking Bristol, King's etc. It's totally fine. You may not get to LSE or Oxbridge but it'll take you pretty far, also good for those A* requirements.
Original post by marm-alade
don't even listen to him. I have friends who got into top top Russel group unis with history, English lit and art for law. I'm talking Bristol, King's etc. It's totally fine. You may not get to LSE or Oxbridge but it'll take you pretty far, also good for those A* requirements.

How about UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
How about UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly have no idea about UCL... Actually I do think one of the people I'm talking about got rejected from there. You can still get into great unis with Art for law, maybe not the top ones, although a lot of them did have to retake in A2 year so that may have also affected their applications.

How about UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I honestly have no idea about UCL... Actually I do think one of the people I'm talking about got rejected from there. You can still get into great unis with Art for law, maybe not the top ones, although a lot of them did have to retake in A2 year so that may have also affected their applications.

Okay:smile: I'm looking at law with Spanish at UCL so it might be a bit different

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending