The Student Room Group

Work Placement Year in IT - advice needed!

Hi everyone

Well, I give an intro to my circumstances. Basically I study Business and IT at university and going into my 2nd year. I am definitely looking for placement. For next year and would appreciate any former placement year student or anyone in general advice on application process, types of companies, best place to find vacancies for placements etc. Thanks in advance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
If you can travel or live in Chester, Manchester there's Aztrocentrica the pharmaceutical company, the have internships. Google in London provide placements, their should be a link on the university website about industrial placements.
Reply 3
Original post by jpowis123
If you can travel or live in Chester, Manchester there's Aztrocentrica the pharmaceutical company, the have internships. Google in London provide placements, their should be a link on the university website about industrial placements.

Thanks for the information. Really grateful for that.
Reply 4
Most of the big companies provide placements, you can either go via their own websites or check out some of the placement websites. I think the ones I used were RateMyPlacement.co.uk, Prospect.ac.uk, Milkround.com and TargetJobs.co.uk. As the year progresses more and more will become available although there will be a large portion open for applications right now.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Matty.W
Most of the big companies provide placements, you can either go via their own websites or check out some of the placement websites. I think the ones I used were RateMyPlacement.co.uk, Prospect.ac.uk, Milkround.com and TargetJobs.co.uk. As the year progresses more and more will become available although there will be a large portion open for applications right now.

Good luck!

Okay, thanks for that. Good to know some sources on placements.
Reply 6
From when I was looking for a placement job, most of the 'big' companies are actually useless, main examples which come to mind were Intel and Microsoft. Although saying you worked for Microsoft can be a really good thing, the work you do is just generic.

Surley your Uni will have some sort of placement scheme to help you find a place? The websites Vibenation are good :smile: However, be aware, you will loose your mind when applying for jobs, and 8/10 of the companies you apply for, chances are you won't get a reply. Welcome to the job world.
Original post by Dynastyuk
From when I was looking for a placement job, most of the 'big' companies are actually useless, main examples which come to mind were Intel and Microsoft. Although saying you worked for Microsoft can be a really good thing, the work you do is just generic.

Surley your Uni will have some sort of placement scheme to help you find a place? The websites Vibenation are good :smile: However, be aware, you will loose your mind when applying for jobs, and 8/10 of the companies you apply for, chances are you won't get a reply. Welcome to the job world.

The company you worked for, was it an actual IT company or another company with it's own IT team?
Reply 8

I know, I had a gap year. Spent 2 months applying for jobs everyday just to get 1. I know how the job world/market like, that why I utslising every source possible. Even less known methods like contacting smaller IT company directly. Using Linkedin, Indeed, Reed and more. I got a good friend who works as a sales manager for IT company who offered work experience in the summer but couldn't take it due to summer work. Also know managing director for IT based social enterprise who I met during my gap year who offering advices and guidence. I haven't been wasting my time like many others. You only need to check past posts for last 2 years on TSR to get an idea of how much research I put on making good IT career for myself.
Reply 9

Also I was about to go to Sheffield Hallam same time as you back in 2012 but due to illness, took a gap year and gone to Leeds Met a year later. Good luck with your placement though.
Reply 10
Original post by Vibenation
Hi everyone

Well, I give an intro to my circumstances. Basically I study Business and IT at university and going into my 2nd year. I am definitely looking for placement. For next year and would appreciate any former placement year student or anyone in general advice on application process, types of companies, best place to find vacancies for placements etc. Thanks in advance.

I did my placement year at the software company, SAP. I recommend you definitely applying there, they have a wide range of roles. My year could not have been more enjoyable and valuable. It was fantastic.

Quick Reply

Latest