The Student Room Group

I will laugh if Dentistry pay decreases...

Because then less people will apply due to the income, meaning more spaces for the people who actually are interested in the job!

Scroll to see replies

I won't!
People do dentistry because they're interested in the job? :lolwut:
i think most do. being well paid helps though. I'd still do it any way. i love it! but then I'm sad!
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
People do dentistry because they're interested in the job? :lolwut:

You really thought the only reason people became dentists was for the money? lol

Money is a factor, as it is with any job.

Especially one that requires a 5 year degree and is so bloody hard to get into.

How many people would become lawyers, doctors, dentists investment bankers if it wasn't well paid?
Reply 5
Dentistry is still damn good compared to other professions. I know people who don't 100% love the work, but they still think dentistry is a fantastic profession.

I say this as an associate dentist.

If you're a good dentist, the money will follow. If you strive to be average, your benefits will be average.
i agree
I wish they would train more dentists, i cannot get registered with one around for love nor money! Even as a private patient, dont fancy travelling miles just to have someone torture my mouth haha.
Original post by RachelFiveee
I wish they would train more dentists, i cannot get registered with one around for love nor money! Even as a private patient, dont fancy travelling miles just to have someone torture my mouth haha.

You cant get registered because the nhs has no money to fund mor dental practices - not because theres not enough dentists

If you want there to be more dentists go to the universities and pay the 250k required to train a dentist - it comes out of your taxes
Dentists are doctors who have pretty much sold their souls.
Original post by andbegin
You really thought the only reason people became dentists was for the money? lol

Money is a factor, as it is with any job.

Especially one that requires a 5 year degree and is so bloody hard to get into.

How many people would become lawyers, doctors, dentists investment bankers if it wasn't well paid?

Answer: Many

Being a doctor or lawyer is something people have been dreaming about since a very young age and some people for example just love the thrill they would get from being part of the crash team at a hospital or being challenged by a strong prosecution lawyer at court.

Have you ever seen a little kid say he wants to be a dentist?
(edited 9 years ago)
total rubbish
Original post by Darkwarrior23

Being a doctor or lawyer is something people have been dreaming about since a very young age and some people for example just love the thrill they would get from being part of the crash team at a hospital or being challenged by a strong a prosecution lawyer at court.

Yes lol
Ive met plenty of people who wanted to be a dentist since they were a kid

Besides, most young lads want to be footballers when they were kids, firefighters - it doesnt mean anything

I havent met many people who have wanted to be lawyers since they were kids

Being a doctor or lawyer is something people have been dreaming about since a very young age and some people for example just love the thrill they would get from being part of the crash team at a hospital or being challenged by a strong prosecution lawyer at court.

Besides, that wasnt my point

My point was nobody would go into these professions if they were not well paid - thats just the way it works

Do you think its coincidence that the best paid jobs come from the most competitive and popular degrees?
Original post by ando181
Besides, that wasnt my point

My point was nobody would go into these professions if they were not well paid - thats just the way it works

Do you think its coincidence that the best paid jobs come from the most competitive and popular degrees?

Of course people enter these degrees for good paid jobs however a larger proportion of people in dentistry are in it mainly for the money.

I don't blame them to be honest with 30k average starting salary and only one foundation year unlike medicine where you have 2 foundation years and then further training but my point is that more people go into medicine for the respect and actual role.
But I think there's not enough dentists! And orthodontists even fewer!
The proposed cut for foundation training has been revoked.
Original post by ando181
You cant get registered because the nhs has no money to fund mor dental practices - not because theres not enough dentists

If you want there to be more dentists go to the universities and pay the 250k required to train a dentist - it comes out of your taxes

I would happily pay a bit more in tax to allow there to be a dental surgery taking people on (private practices or nhs ones). I have a chipped tooth and would be willing to pay a fair bit to get it fixed but cannae get taken on anywhere.

I think dentists do deserve good pay, kudos to anyone who gets a place and has a successful career.
Of course people enter these degrees for good paid jobs however a larger proportion of people in dentistry are in it mainly for the money.

I don't blame them to be honest with 30k average starting salary and only one foundation year unlike medicine where you have 2 foundation years and then further training but my point is that more people go into medicine for the respect and actual role.

People go into medicine to be a doctor? Great obvservation

In terms of respect, theres not that much of a difference between gps and dentists in the publics view
Original post by RachelFiveee
I would happily pay a bit more in tax to allow there to be a dental surgery taking people on (private practices or nhs ones). I have a chipped tooth and would be willing to pay a fair bit to get it fixed but cannae get taken on anywhere.

I think dentists do deserve good pay, kudos to anyone who gets a place and has a successful career.

You may pay more tax, the rest of the public wouldnt be happy about it and any political party that said theyd take more taxes wouldnt be voted for.

Quick Reply

Latest