The Student Room Group

What student discounty things do I need?

NUS card... National Express...

Anything you think is a life saver for discounts at uni.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated! :smile:
Apart from a 16-25 rail card if you travel by train a lot, I don't think any are that amazing. Your university ID will get you the same discount in shops, etc as an NUS card would, as far as I'm aware.
If you take the train a lot then a railcard will save you soooo much money.

If you take the coach a lot then a coach card will help you save money!

I had a NUS card but I found out that I could use my uni ID card to get the same discounts as well so I don't think it's that helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Join unidays for student discount online. That's about it, you don't need an NUS card, your student ID will generally get you most of the same discounts.
Reply 4
I 100% agree with GoingToBurst, Unidays its really good and the 16-25 railcard is really useful to have if you take the train regularly
Original post by alone-in-kyoto
Apart from a 16-25 rail card if you travel by train a lot, I don't think any are that amazing. Your university ID will get you the same discount in shops, etc as an NUS card would, as far as I'm aware.

Original post by WorldPharmacist
If you take the train a lot then a railcard will save you soooo much money.

If you take the coach a lot then a coach card will help you save money!

I had a NUS card but I found out that I could use my uni ID card to get the same discounts as well so I don't think it's that helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice, thanks you two. The train's a definite one for me, and I'm not sure what benefits my ID card gets me as I haven't got it yet... I'll keep it in mind. Thanks again. :smile:
Original post by GoingToBurst
Join unidays for student discount online. That's about it, you don't need an NUS card, your student ID will generally get you most of the same discounts.

Original post by daniigrace
I 100% agree with GoingToBurst, Unidays its really good and the 16-25 railcard is really useful to have if you take the train regularly

Done and done! Thanks for the heads-up. I'm the first one to do this in my family so I'm a little clueless. :smile:
Original post by liomeeringca
Done and done! Thanks for the heads-up. I'm the first one to do this in my family so I'm a little clueless. :smile:

Well another little heads up is that you'll most likely have NUS reps at your freshers fayre trying to get you to buy an NUS card when you really don't need one.
Agreed with unidays and 16-25 railcard. Saves so much money for trips home during the holiday!
Remember one thing, McDonalds will give you a free cheese burger with any medium meal if you have your student ID.

That is all.
Original post by DiddyDec
Remember one thing, McDonalds will give you a free cheese burger with any medium meal if you have your student ID.

That is all.

I'm lactose intolerant... could I ask that they hold the cheese? :')
NUS card and the 16-25 railcard. Signing up with unidays is also good because there's a few different ones on there to NUS (it's also free).. My university student card will not get me any discount, because the university don't put the dates on (stupid, I know). If you have dates on your uni card, maybe try that before buying the NUS.
Yer probably. You can also get a small fries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
student id card will get you 95% of things, NUS card and a student railcard if youre travelling a lot, like i will be between birmingham and hull to see my girlfriend.
:-)

Quick Reply

Latest