The Student Room Group

which is more difficult to achieve:

an A* in GCSE maths or english language?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

hmmm I'd be tempted to say English lang. I feel with maths if you worked hard enough you could get a high grade but with English I think you have to have natural ability, to an extent. I DUNNO THOUGH
srs? both are EZ

Languages are much harder.
English, I reckon. Maths is pretty much memorisation of formulas and steps whereas creativity is a next level of stress.
It depends. You might do better in coursework than in exams, in which case English language would be easier to get an A*. But if you prefer exams, I'd say Maths would be easier.
Personally Maths was easier... got an A* without doing a crazy amount of work. English lang I got an A but worked my socks off! It does depend on natural ability though as well.
Reply 6
Languages are a lot more 'out of your hands' then Maths. Certainly below university level. You can keep practicing at Maths until you know you've learnt enough to get full marks.
English for me.
Reply 8
I think maths... Got an A* but I had to work for it whereas with English language I just turned up to the exam and wrote crap.
To me, English is more difficult because there are too many ways to get a high grade but maths only have one set answer, well most of the times, so you only need to memorise formulas and substitute numbers or letters.
Reply 10
I think it depends on the individual, some people have a natural mathematic ability, some are better at English.
english for sure
Definetly, English Language. You have to sit there and attempt to think of something that would get you the best marks possible and then develop it. :biggrin:
I guess it depends on the person, but I would say GCSE English Language is more difficult to get an A* in.
Depends on the person, for me it was maths as I suffered from awful teaching for years. It was only the last few months she was replaced with someone brilliant.

As for language, creativity comes to me naturally.
I think Maths is harder. Not that either of them are hard - I didn't revise for either subject when it came to the exams and got A*s in both. But with Maths, I did revise for mocks sometimes. I never ever revised for English Language and most of the time didn't even concentrate in lessons tbh. Idk why this is as I do think I'm more mathematically inclined :confused:
Reply 16
English.
Reply 17
Depends on the person specifically. Some people can write a novel but not do algebra... Tough for most i'd say Maths A* is easier.
english id say
More inclined to say English Lang but I'm biased as I prefer maths.

I think it depends on which subject you like more or are better it. :redface:

Quick Reply