The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is it okay to have a problem with student service?

Hi guys,

Long story short, this is my first year and I had accommodation guarantee. Got an offer of a hall with sharing bathroom and rejected it because having shower with a stranger being in the same room isn't easy thing to do for everybody, you know? Now they're sayin since I rejected it I got no chance anymore and blah-blah. Of course I understand that the uni can't afford to have bunch of choosey students but come on! This **** is offensive! "you either take shower with strangers or say goodbye" literally it is. If it is their policy out of the necessity well I guess I'd have no choice. But I'll lose it if they pretend that the logic of this makes any sense. Without giving acceptable offer blaming me for losing my guarantee is something I really want to sue about. Oops I said long story short but haha.. Again, long story short, lol, can I afford to have a fight with the uni? For example is sending an unfiltered and abrasive email, not including swears or that kinda thing, okay? Or can it harm me in any way? I don't know how things work in uni so I really need some advice, Thx!
Tbh I think it's a bit ridiculous getting into a fight over a shower.The demand for ensuites is higher than the supply. It's in the T&C's that if you reject your accommodation offer you aren't guaranteed a new one. I don't see how that's unfair? Lots of universities don't even guarantee a place in a shared bathroom hall. It won't affect your academic career but do you really want to be getting on the wrong side of anyone at the university before you even start?

The university really hasn't done anything wrong here.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by sueme

"you either take shower with strangers or say goodbye"

That's weird as hell, but honestly, I don't see the full story to comment, what did you say to them? Like the exact words.

Either way it's unprofessional and they should be able to deal with students who are a little 'rude' professionally instead of use the same tactic against the student, cause that's fairly childish, but again it depends what you said to them as well, for me to answer your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by tillytots
Tbh I think it's a bit ridiculous getting into a fight over a shower.The demand for ensuites is higher than the supply. It's in the T&C's that if you reject your accommodation offer you aren't guaranteed a new one. I don't see how that's unfair? Lots of universities don't even guarantee a place in a shared bathroom hall. It won't affect your academic career but do you really want to be getting on the wrong side of anyone at the university before you even start?

The university really hasn't done anything wrong here.

Without making reasonable offer can they say they've done their part? to a student who can't have shower with anyone else the offer is as good as no offer. If you're gonna say that's your business, would you say that to a disabled person your disability's your business? In my opinion same logic should apply here. If you make an offer with non-assisting facility to a challenged guy, you're as good as making no offer at all isn't it? There're people who just can't have shower with strangers and for them, it ain't an offer I think. You mentioned about universities not guaranteeing anything. If they don't guarantee anything in the first place there's nothing wrong at all. My beef with this is coming from university guaranteeing and not really following, in my opinion, their promise for whatever the realistic reasons. Again, I do understand that if student is the one who rejected the deal uni shouldn't be blamed. What I'm saying is uni hasn't made valid offer yet and says they did from the way I see it.
Reply 4
Original post by RashaJ
That's weird as hell, but honestly, I don't see the full story to comment, what did you say to them? Like the exact words.

Either way it's unprofessional and they should be able to deal with students who are a little 'rude' professionally instead of use the same tactic against the student, cause that's fairly childish, but again it depends what you said to them as well, for me to answer your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I think I've caused some misunderstanding. That's not their word. Tat's just how I took the situation
Original post by sueme
Without making reasonable offer can they say they've done their part? to a student who can't have shower with anyone else the offer is as good as no offer. If you're gonna say that's your business, would you say that to a disabled person your disability's your business? In my opinion same logic should apply here. If you make an offer with non-assisting facility to a challenged guy, you're as good as making no offer at all isn't it? There're people who just can't have shower with strangers and for them, it ain't an offer I think. You mentioned about universities not guaranteeing anything. If they don't guarantee anything in the first place there's nothing wrong at all. My beef with this is coming from university guaranteeing and not really following, in my opinion, their promise for whatever the realistic reasons. Again, I do understand that if student is the one who rejected the deal uni shouldn't be blamed. What I'm saying is uni hasn't made valid offer yet and says they did from the way I see it.

They guarantee you accommodation. They don't guarantee you the accommodation you want. It's clearly stated. Obviously if you have a personal reason which can be justified with a doctors note or something they are more likely to give an ensuite, but it's not mentioned anywhere that you are guaranteed your exact preferences.
Reply 6
They guarantee you accommodation. They don't guarantee you the accommodation you want. It's clearly stated. Obviously if you have a personal reason which can be justified with a doctors note or something they are more likely to give an ensuite, but it's not mentioned anywhere that you are guaranteed your exact preferences.

I've kept saying it's not my preference but it is something I can't do. Seriously, how the hall looks like is preference and How big is the room is preference. Is not being able to get naked in front of stranger that weird or unusual?
Original post by sueme

Are you seriously comparing your situation to that of a disabled person? :facepalm:

The university guaranteed you an offer of accommodation in one of their halls, which they have subsequently delivered. I think any reasonable person would agree they've fulfilled their promise.

If you have an actual valid, tangible reason for not being able to use a shared bathroom, then I suggest explaining it to the accommodation office and I'm sure they'd be more than willing to try to help you. If not, I suggest you grow up and start looking for some alternative accommodation.
Original post by sueme
I've kept saying it's not my preference but it is something I can't do. Seriously, how the hall looks like is preference and How big is the room is preference. Is not being able to get naked in front of stranger that weird or unusual?

You won't be naked in front of a stranger. The showers and toilets are in locked, separate cubicles. Your preferences don't guarantee you anything. Go private if it matters that much? They have fulfilled their part of the bargain I'm afraid
Reply 9
Original post by arson_fire
You do realise shared bathrooms are actually a bathroom shared between several people, not several people using it at once..........................

I did not know up til' now...
(edited 9 years ago)
OK from the way sueme writes it looks like English is not his/her first language so maybe sueme is an overseas student.

Most British students would just deal with this situation but sometimes overseas students (who are paying a lot of money in fees) from different cultures are more uncomfortable in living in mixed settings and sharing showers.

My advice in this situation would be - don't waste time arguing with university accommodation services, you will just have an argument but not get what you want. Try and find some private accommodation where you can get ensuite bathroom. But remember you may have to pay more - there is a premium for ensuite, and you will just have to accept this. If you are looking to find cheap accommodation you have to compromise on things like ensuite.
Reply 11
Original post by arson_fire
Ah! Shared bathrooms aren`t like the changing rooms in gyms or schools. Normally they are just a bath or shower in a room with a locked door - same kind of idea as an en-suite except it`s not just you that uses it. But you will the only person in there when you use it. The only way anyone would see you naked is if you forgot to lock the door and someone else walked in!

Thanks man I was raging cuz I thought they were seriously asking me to take shower with other people or get out and go find myself a place. I thought it'd like shower room in prison haha
Reply 12
You won't be naked in front of a stranger. The showers and toilets are in locked, separate cubicles. Your preferences don't guarantee you anything. Go private if it matters that much? They have fulfilled their part of the bargain I'm afraid

I should seriously work on my English. You apparently don't understand me at all.
This was a funny read, I was waiting to see if anyone had said that they're not actually shared at the same time! But yeah, no one will be there with you, don't stress.
:facepalm:

Probably best to go and grovel to the accommodation office now, explain your mistake, and ask if there's anything they can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending