The Student Room Group

How to do well in A-levels science Praticals as well as coursework with it?

I have just done my AS Level and have attained bad grades. I felt that this was partly due to my individual performance during practicals as well as during the coursework that goes with it.
I am now being made to make a decisions into whether I would like to restart my AS. But the thing is that is holding me back partly is because the practicals. I understand that doing the practicals and the coursework would only contribute to tiny proportion of the grades however I really don't want to make same mistake if I were to re-do the AS. Is there anyways in which I could revise for the practicals and coursework, epescially for AQA and OCR?
Reply 1
Ensure you know the different types of errors, how to propagate these through measurements, how to make something a fair test, what the different types of variables are etc. And ensure you pay attention to all of these whilst carrying out the experiment (perhaps also think about how you could improve it). Things like graph drawing and tables come with practice.

Your textbook should have a section on practical skills. Have you read through that?
Original post by JAHLee
I have just done my AS Level and have attained bad grades. I felt that this was partly due to my individual performance during practicals as well as during the coursework that goes with it.
I am now being made to make a decisions into whether I would like to restart my AS. But the thing is that is holding me back partly is because the practicals. I understand that doing the practicals and the coursework would only contribute to tiny proportion of the grades however I really don't want to make same mistake if I were to re-do the AS. Is there anyways in which I could revise for the practicals and coursework, epescially for AQA and OCR?

The best thing to do is practice. If you do lots of practice you can get pointed out the errors by your teacher, and then hopefully learn from them.
Reply 3
Original post by tory88
Ensure you know the different types of errors, how to propagate these through measurements, how to make something a fair test, what the different types of variables are etc. And ensure you pay attention to all of these whilst carrying out the experiment (perhaps also think about how you could improve it). Things like graph drawing and tables come with practice.

Your textbook should have a section on practical skills. Have you read through that?

Well, I have made sure that I've done the list as above and had a few practices before we have an actual practical assessment. However I am not sure what went wrong and was wondering could it be because of my slowness in doing the practical?
Reply 4
Original post by mobbsy91
The best thing to do is practice. If you do lots of practice you can get pointed out the errors by your teacher, and then hopefully learn from them.

I understand that the best thing to is practice. But the thing is, I had those practices before the actual practical assessment. I was wondering could it be because of my slowness in doing the practical?
Reply 5
To be honest, you could do really well in coursework - however it has to be moderated and that's the worst bit. I supposedly got an A in my coursework and after it was moderated it was brought down to a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Because of my bad grades of the practicals, I don't know why but I kind of find it nerve wrecking when doing them now... However I am determined to not let that get to me as I would like a career in the science/health care sector.

Any tips and advice are gladly appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending