The Student Room Group

Dundee Medical School Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

No I think I'm all good at the minute. Just was unsure if there was anything I needed to do before I'd get information from the uni but thank you anyways :smile:

Original post by .S.K.T.
Hi there!

It will not be long before Dundee gets in touch with your confirmation letter and matriculation details. These will probably be sent by post.
(This is just from my experience last year)

However, are there any pressing questions or issues I can help you with?
Anybody else bought the ticket for freshers week?
Thanks
Original post by wannabe-doc
Anybody else bought the ticket for freshers week?
Thanks

I've bought the joint freshers icebreaker with St Andrews... Wby?
Original post by .S.K.T.
Hi there!

It will not be long before Dundee gets in touch with your confirmation letter and matriculation details. These will probably be sent by post.
(This is just from my experience last year)

However, are there any pressing questions or issues I can help you with?

Hi. Can I ask if the reading week in October applies to medical students too?
Reply 904
Original post by DrHassan
Hi. Can I ask if the reading week in October applies to medical students too?

Hi there, I am afraid the reading week will not apply to medical students. However, this year the medical school is giving a reading week to first years only at the end of February. (This is between your cardiovascular system block and your gastrointestinal system block.)
Do we receive a reading list from the uni or anything useful like that ? What books are recommended? Do we need the likes of a stethoscope ? Can't seem to find this information anywhere haha
I'm also wondering this. Also, does anyone have access to the course modules on the "My Dundee" system yet (e.g. "MBCHB Intake 2015-16 (1st year)")? When I click on them, I just get the message: "Guests are not allowed to go to this course."

While I'm at it, do we need to do anything other than matriculate next week? I feel like I'm completely out of the loop.
Reply 907
Hi, anyone got any idea what the average Scotland to Rest of UK student split is for Dundee when applying.

Thanks
Hey guys, I just wanted some advise on whether it would be a risk applying to Dundee for 2016 entry with GCSE: 3A*s 5As 3Bs
AS: 4As, A2 achieved: A*AA and ukcat: 665. Also what was the 2015 entry ukcat cut off?
Thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 909
Original post by Username1431
Hey guys, I just wanted some advise on whether it would be a risk applying to Dundee for 2016 entry with GCSE: 3A*s 5As 3Bs
AS: 4As, A2 achieved: A*AA and ukcat: 665. Also what was the 2015 entry ukcat cut off?
Thanks for the help! :smile:

I think I'm right in saying that Dundee don't score GCSEs when you have achieved A levels...? I know this is the case for Scottish 4th year exams (or was last year) which were Standard Grades for that cohort. In other words they only scored Scottish Highers (which are above AS levels) and Scottish Advanced Highers which are above A2 Levels (ie 1st year uni level). If you attended the open day then you'll know that 1:8 English kids achieve 3 As at A2 Level and only 1:40 Scottish kids achieve 5 As at Higher (and about 1:10 - I think from memory - achieve AAABB at Higher which is more comparable). However as the two systems are difficult to compare (Dundee use z-scores to make a fair comparison) you could find the scoring sheet which was posted on this forum around March by someone. Dundee are also keen on high UKCAT but don't even look at your PS until interview. I think it would also depend on which subjects you achieved your Bs : sciences = bad; arts = not so bad but Dundee like Scot's kids to have Higher English. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 910
Original post by SimSembi
Hi, anyone got any idea what the average Scotland to Rest of UK student split is for Dundee when applying.

Thanks

I think it's roughly 2/3rds - 1/3rd. Edinburgh has the highest RUK split (55%/45%). Figures are decided on historical figures...i.e. the number of RUK attending Scot's unis prior to devolution...which makes it fair.
Reply 911
Original post by Blaven
I think I'm right in saying that Dundee don't score GCSEs when you have achieved A levels...? I know this is the case for Scottish 4th year exams (or was last year) which were Standard Grades for that cohort. In other words they only scored Scottish Highers (which are above AS levels) and Scottish Advanced Highers which are above A2 Levels (ie 1st year uni level). If you attended the open day then you'll know that 1:8 English kids achieve 3 As at A2 Level and only 1:40 Scottish kids achieve 5 As at Higher (and about 1:10 - I think from memory - achieve AAABB at Higher which is more comparable). However as the two systems are difficult to compare (Dundee use z-scores to make a fair comparison) you could find the scoring sheet which was posted on this forum around March by someone. Dundee are also keen on high UKCAT but don't even look at your PS until interview. I think it would also depend on which subjects you achieved your Bs : sciences = bad; arts = not so bad but Dundee like Scot's kids to have Higher English. Hope this helps :smile:

I called Dundee this morning and the lady said they still score GCSE's when you have achieved A levels
Reply 912
Original post by SimSembi
I called Dundee this morning and the lady said they still score GCSE's when you have achieved A levels

I'm sorry about that...good luck with your application
Reply 913
Hi, after the interview, is offers for Dundee made purely by interview performance or academics and ukcat taken into account too?
Original post by muchensmile
Hi, after the interview, is offers for Dundee made purely by interview performance or academics and ukcat taken into account too?

On their open day, they clearly said that it is a "clean slate" at the interview stage. The final offer depends on the interview score only.

That is fairer I guess!!
Reply 915
Hey, does anyone know if Dundee has minimum a-level requirements for Graduate applicants to their undergraduate course? Thank you in advance!
Original post by Barely
Hey, does anyone know if Dundee has minimum a-level requirements for Graduate applicants to their undergraduate course? Thank you in advance!

Might be a bit late now, but I called them and they said if you have a 2.1 they do not have A level requirements. :smile:
Reply 917
Original post by katherine_b
Might be a bit late now, but I called them and they said if you have a 2.1 they do not have A level requirements. :smile:

Glad I applied then, thank you! :smile:
Has anyone else received the email from Dundee? (for 2016 entry)
Reply 919
The adversity form? Got it last night

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending