The Student Room Group

Dundee Medical School Applicants 2015

Hello there! This thread is intended for those applying to Dundee Medical School for the 2015 entry!!

Dundee is a small, cohesive medical schools that prides itself in being friendly. From my own experience of applying, I definitely felt this! It is one of the smaller UK medical schools and places are fought heavily over, like any medical school. What it doesn't have in size, it has in character. Plus the ENTIRE medical school has just been refurbished.

All the information bellow has been taken from the Dundee Medical School website, and I take no credit for writing it. http://medicine.dundee.ac.uk/

Why Dundee?!:

Spoiler

Little bit about the course?:

Spoiler

Addmissions:

Spoiler

Interviews:

Spoiler

Application Statistics!

Spoiler

Other Useful Links:

Spoiler

I myself will be heading to Dundee this September to start their A100 course. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

All information is however on the website and please phone up the medical school if you are unsure of anything!
Here is the link for Medicine Facts and Questions page:http://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/enquiry/medicine/

Scroll to see replies

hey, do you know how Dundee rate academics? like do they have a point system for GCSEs/A-Levels or advantage for people with achieved A-Levels, I've emailed them but they never reply!
Reply 3
Original post by blissfully
hey, do you know how Dundee rate academics? like do they have a point system for GCSEs/A-Levels or advantage for people with achieved A-Levels, I've emailed them but they never reply!

The rate academics 60% and UKCAT 40%

There was once a Freedom of information request put in, and by the looks of things they streamed candidates with ucas tarriff points. If you look up the dundee applicants 2012 page on tsr you can see the documents. If they use ucas tarrif points it would mean they would use predicted grades.

My overall impression was that they looked all your academics including gcses current grades and predicted, though I cannot say that with complete certitude. Sorry :frown:
Anyone know how current/past Dundee students have found the course?

Also would a UKCAT score of 700 be enough to get a place?
Does Dundee require high GCSEs and high UKCAT?
how many spaces are reserved for scottish students?
Original post by .S.K.T.
The rate academics 60% and UKCAT 40%

My overall impression was that they looked all your academics including gcses current grades and predicted, though I cannot say that with complete certitude. Sorry :frown:

It does say in the above passage that they consider the relevant previous stage - at least that's my understanding. Does that mean I would be scored on my Msc/BSc? It would kind of make sense, as even though my GCSEs aren't straight As I would have potentially a bigger pool of results to score from. Perhaps that's why there is a 60/40% split for graduates on UKCAT/Academics? Ill have to check that tariff thing.

Our analysis of the 2013 applicants (those who applied in 2012 for 2013 entry) revealed the average calculated from applications received was 2520 and the average for those gaining offers was 2720. (Will have changed for 2015 entry)

Eesh, tough crowd. I scored 2660. What is your honest opinion on that (if you feel you can give one)? Surely someone got in with 2660 last year. Theres relatively fewer applicants as a whole than other universities, so I suppose its worth a shot :/
Hi guys I am an international applicant who is interested in Dundee Medicine. By the looks of it, Dundee isnt gonna place much emphasis ( if any at all) on non academic stuff like PS. My A level grades are AAAB and UKCAT 2830. Is it worth a shot:/
Reply 9
Original post by GemaineCOG
Hi guys I am an international applicant who is interested in Dundee Medicine. By the looks of it, Dundee isnt gonna place much emphasis ( if any at all) on non academic stuff like PS. My A level grades are AAAB and UKCAT 2830. Is it worth a shot:/

Hello there - While Dundee does not initially access aspects of the personal statement and such, at interview it is heavily examined, there is also a questionnaire sent out before interview asking how much work experience and voluntarry experience you have. You have decent enough grades and a suitable UKCAT - I suspect you will gain an interview.

Please make sure you phone the medical school up.They are lovely and love to help!!
Reply 10
Original post by TheProblematique
Anyone know how current/past Dundee students have found the course?

Also would a UKCAT score of 700 be enough to get a place?

I have just joined Dundee Medical School! - I have spoken to a lot of other medics in the other years and everyone I've spoken to absoltely adore it here. It's a great place and the people of dundee really make the medical school something special. I've seen Patients in my second week and had clinical teaching already - All in all, the course is very fun! - Difficult, but fun.

From looking at the page last year, there were people rejected with 700 last year. However, there were people with 675 gaining offers too last year. So it really will depend upon your academics first, then after that your interview.

Original post by ekpenyongnsa
Does Dundee require high GCSEs and high UKCAT?

I'm not entirely sure how Dundee look at GCSE's, I don't think they weigh it that heavily. I have seen people with 5A*'s gain an interview (which is by no means bad gcse's) - They says in their admissions statement that they use "academics weighted to 60% and ukcat to 40% - so my guess is that they are referring to your AS grades/ Predicted A2 Grades. I would definitely phone them up.

Original post by topgear1987
It does say in the above passage that they consider the relevant previous stage - at least that's my understanding. Does that mean I would be scored on my Msc/BSc? It would kind of make sense, as even though my GCSEs aren't straight As I would have potentially a bigger pool of results to score from. Perhaps that's why there is a 60/40% split for graduates on UKCAT/Academics? Ill have to check that tariff thing.

Eesh, tough crowd. I scored 2660. What is your honest opinion on that (if you feel you can give one)? Surely someone got in with 2660 last year. Theres relatively fewer applicants as a whole than other universities, so I suppose its worth a shot :/

I'm assuming that you are a graduate here. If so, then yes they will look at your Msc/Bsc and that will take precedence over other results, though I'm sure they will still look at the other grades ( again check with them). For graduates, Dundee changes their weighting. The weigh it 60% Ukcat to 40% academics, I believe. But again, please phone the medical school up to get the complete story! Remember though, that Dundee has fewer spaces, In my year there's only about 130. It's by no means easier to get into :P
Original post by .S.K.T.
Hello there - While Dundee does not initially access aspects of the personal statement and such, at interview it is heavily examined, there is also a questionnaire sent out before interview asking how much work experience and voluntarry experience you have. You have decent enough grades and a suitable UKCAT - I suspect you will gain an interview.

Please make sure you phone the medical school up.They are lovely and love to help!!

Thanks so much for replying! :smile: I sure do hope to get shortlisted:smile:
Reply 12
Hey there! Would applying to Dundee be wise with my grades and UKCAT? I'm from Sweden, so I'm a Home/EU applicant!

Lower secondary school grades: 15 A's out of 15 on a scale of A-F
Upper secondary: 23 A's and 1 B out of 24 (B in P.E :frown:)
UKCAT: 737.5 (band 1)
Hey!

Just wondering if there's any chance i would get an interview at dundee with:

AAAa (alrady achieved)

Poor gcs's (2a*, 4a, 4b)

UKCAT 632.5 (v disappointed!)

Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by claires712
Hey!

Just wondering if there's any chance i would get an interview at dundee with:

AAAa (alrady achieved)

Poor gcs's (2a*, 4a, 4b)

UKCAT 632.5 (v disappointed!)

Thanks

I think it would be wise to phone the medical school up. To be honest, think Dundee might be a risk - however I'd rather sure the UKCAT was re-standardised this year - to prevent the ever increasing scores. So it might not be all doom and gloom! Your academics are fine and will receive a decent score. Selection for interview is based on 60% academics and 40% ukcat.

Sorry for the late response.

Also if anyone has questions about the course, please ask away!
Reply 15
Has anyone got their acknowledgement? I applied a week ago and didn't get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vladdd25

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope I havent got one yet.
Reply 17
I just got it today !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vladdd25

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got it this morning!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zheyuan
I just got it today !

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got one today as well. Does this mean we met some sort of minimum requirement in a stage of our application or does it simply mean they have received our application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest