The Student Room Group

PGCE Nerves & Stage Fright

I start a PGCE soon and whilst I am excited I am quite nervous about it too. I am also worried I'll freeze up speaking in a class, not only full of children, but an observer watching my every move. I understand this is needed but are these worries normal at this point and do you overcome them as you go along and become more confident?

In a social environment once I get to know people I am fine, really open and bubbly as a person but at first I can be quite tense and sometimes have to act or perform out of my comfort zone until I know how to gauge someone.

I think I will be fine with teaching the children but the thought of having someone there watching my teaching is what's making me worry. I'm critical of myself and not sure I know enough. Maybe these are normal pre-PGCE nerves that'll I'll overcome gradually as I go through the course.
Reply 1
Totally normal. Honest. The observer will not be surprised if you do freeze up - they have seen it all before and more. You do get used to being observed, too (seems hard to believe right now, but you do!).

What age range are you teaching?
Original post by Angelil
Totally normal. Honest. The observer will not be surprised if you do freeze up - they have seen it all before and more. You do get used to being observed, too (seems hard to believe right now, but you do!).

Ah that makes me feel better now knowing this is normal. :redface:

What age range are you teaching?

PGCE Secondary :smile: 11-16.
Reply 3
Nice :smile: I teach secondary too. I'm sure others will be along to reassure you equally :smile:
Pretty much what I'm feeling too. I can imagine myself being fine with teaching children but it's the observation that gets my nerves going - and the behaviour management to a degree. I know this sounds stupid, but I've been practicing projecting my voice. I've played with recording my voice when speaking loudly, tried shouting etc. I was surprised at how much my voice sounded like my voice when I recorded myself shouting and stuff. For me, I never felt like my voice sounded the same, but after recording different pitch, volume and tone, I feel more confident.

When I first went to observe a school, I was soooooooo nervous. Not having been in a school for years (I'm 28) I was on the tube and I was so relieved for a seat because I felt like I could faint but when I got to the school and even in classes, I felt completely normal, like I could've stood up with the teacher there and then. And that was a very strange feeling because I never felt I would be relaxed. I'm hoping for the same thing in placement! =/
I start my PGCE On Wednesday and this is the exact thing I am most worried about! I'm fine with kids, it's the observing adult! I think it will take me a while to actually act like myself and be comfortable and natural being observed. I am reassured by others telling me they got used to it pretty quickly, though. Hopefully I am the same!
Speaking from experience, the nerves level will vary depending on WHO is observing you. Some teachers are really relaxed and you forget they're judging you at all.

Then there's the ones that make you so nervous you deliver 10 mins of teaching in 3 mins and start before half the class has even made it to their seats (actually happened to me - one poor kid was sharpening her pencil while I launched in at warp speed purely because the person observing me had arrived and I felt like they needed to see me teaching RIGHT NOW!).
Not sure how this is supposed to make you feel better but...

I'm in my third year of teaching now (going back to school tomorrow), and I'm still super nervous about my new classes!
Original post by Autistic Merit
Not sure how this is supposed to make you feel better but...

I'm in my third year of teaching now (going back to school tomorrow), and I'm still super nervous about my new classes!

Ir's helped because now I know its a normal feeling and not something that is only affecting me that I need help with. Good luck starting the new year tomorrow. The answers in this thread have put me more at ease now so thanks a lot everyone.

:smile:
Reply 9
Also nervous, about pretty much everything! Starting at YSJ tomorrow and keep having to remind myself that I will not be the only mature student there and that they don't expect me to be able to teach classes by the end of tomorrow...
Good luck Nicholas! You'll be fine. Everyone feels these initial nerves, so don't worry.
Good luck!

I'm nervous about the observing adult too. I'm absolutely fine with the children!
Original post by Nicholas Brody
I start a PGCE soon and whilst I am excited I am quite nervous about it too. I am also worried I'll freeze up speaking in a class, not only full of children, but an observer watching my every move. I understand this is needed but are these worries normal at this point and do you overcome them as you go along and become more confident?

In a social environment once I get to know people I am fine, really open and bubbly as a person but at first I can be quite tense and sometimes have to act or perform out of my comfort zone until I know how to gauge someone.

I think I will be fine with teaching the children but the thought of having someone there watching my teaching is what's making me worry. I'm critical of myself and not sure I know enough. Maybe these are normal pre-PGCE nerves that'll I'll overcome gradually as I go through the course.

I exactly know how you feel as I'm starting a Secondary PGCE soon. Like with anything, we get better with some experience.I'm trying to enjoy whatever time I have left before my course starts.

Good luck :-)
Original post by Red Lightning

Original post by Chrissi86

Good luck to both of you as well :biggrin:
I'm More nervous about the kids than the adults lol I think I'm nervous about everything!!!!
Same here. If it works with the children, that's already an achievement. I think you guys will change your minds soon
Entirely normal things to be feeling. I would say the most common worries and the eventual way to deal with them are:

- I'm nervous of teaching, shy about standing up in front of children - firstly, you do it so often that the novelty will wear off very quickly. Your first lesson will be scary, there's no hiding from that. But the practicalities quickly overtake the self-consciousness and you'll be too busy getting through your plan to be concerned about social aspects, which is the best of both worlds.

- I don't feel capable - everyone feels this way and rightly so, as no one is capable when they're first starting. It's about learning to be capable. Anyone who is not concerned about their abilities gets a shock in the first week of teaching.

- I don't like being observed - several reasons not to worry about this. Firstly, they are there to help you and should never be an ominous presence. They'll usually get involved in your lesson, smile and encourage you if they get the chance to speak to you during the lesson. Secondly, it is by far the most valuable feedback you'll get. In fact, it's pretty much the only way to get better and the lessons where you're not observed will end up being the ones that are the biggest wild cards for you.

- What if I have a nightmare lesson where everything falls apart? - Honest answer... you will. Never met a teacher who hasn't got at least one shambolic lesson to tell me about. Both my mentors had one while I was this year and I certainly had a few. It's part of the learning curve and is often beyond your control at this early stage in your career. You have to learn to focus on what you can improve and what you're already good at. There will be soul-destroying days but you'll quickly learn to take these on the chin more easily than you ever suspected. The PGCE gives you nerves of steel!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending