The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Late to resit Exam

Hi Guys, basically I'm in a very complicated situation. I had 2 Exam resits, one on the 28th and 29th (I failed two exams(before resits), first one quite a low mark, second one 4 marks away) & there were several reasons for this. I will admit I am quite lazy but when i'm serious about something I will definitely try my hard, Succeed or dry trying, anyway I am generally bad at exams, however I did very well on the coursework/Assignments. So the Uni decided to let me resit the exams on the condition that I pass the exams, 40% is the minimum.

Now see on the 28th I sat the first resit exam, it went quite well (it was the one with that I got a low mark in at first) the second exam which personally I'm quite good at (4 marks away before the resit, you're probably wondering if i'm so good at it why am I doing a resit for it, well firstly I'm bad at exams, I think I have dyslexia but I haven't taken a test but have shown symptoms, also have exam anxiety issues. the Uni didn't and doesn't know this, didn't think it would make a difference even if they did & Lastly through the whole of first year I didn't have a student loan, I wasn't eligible, long story, should be in one of my other threads from last year or something. so it was really stressful for me, all I could think about was tuition, accommodation & overdraft payments repeatedly and whether I would get kicked out if I didn't pay my tuition on time. my parents were paying) I missed it, I missed the second resit exam. I was late by 30mins because the train going towards my Uni was suspended, I called the Uni in advance (bout an Hr in advance) telling them I might not make it(I live about 2 hours away from Uni, I wasn't expecting the train to be suspended, and was expecting the usual routine, at the time I left I should have had 40mins left to spare when I got to the Uni), anyway when I called they told me that I would need to fill a mitigating circumstance form once I arrived, problem is I don't know if It will be accepted as it seems like its my fault the train got suspended. I provided a screenshot from TFL showing the part suspension at the time. I also called an emailed TFL for some sort of proof, currently waiting.

I believe by missing you technically fail, but I also hear you're allowed to fail one module(heard from someone) I really don't want to get kicked out, I love my course, and It would break my moms heart to see me fail because the train didn't arrive on time, believe me I was fully prepared, all i was thinking was I would get to this exam, pass it, come to Uni meet my friends and we'll all have a laugh & work on some group projects but I guess thats not going to happen. I only missed this exam yestarday and I'm already feeling terrible through worrying.

Uni was my life and it seems like I just threw it away, my parents struggled to pay all my fees(which i personally wasn't happy about, I don't like asking for things, I even refused birthday presents)

What do you guys the outcome of this will be? Will the Uni force me to withdraw?

Give me one last chance at the exam?

or somehow allow me to progress to second year somehow with some sort credit count. 1 day, its only been one day I'm already having nightmares, some extreme sleep paralysis too, you can understand I am stressed to the max, this is my biggest fear. 9k tuition will be wasted, because a train was suspended and I didn't reach the exam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Guess no one can help huh, alright
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
If the module you had in the exam you missed was a core module, then yes you would fail it. If its compulsory or optional then you wont fail. I believe you can fail one module as long as its not a core module, youll have to check this in the handbook whether it is or not. Have you sent the mitigating circumstance form and heard anything? I think as long as you have good evidence for your inability to make it to the exam youll be fine. However im not sure whether the uni will perceive a suspended train as a good reason for you to miss the exam. There would have to be nothing else you couldve reasonably done in order to be eligible for the mitigating circumstance . Since you couldve taken an earlier train i think its unlikely theyll let you.
Reply 3
I'm not if its core. i'll have to check. im currently waiting for london underground to send me verified proof. Do you think ill have a better chance if i get something from them. and ye i filled a circumstance form. All trains going towards my location were all down there was nothing I could do, I ended up taking 4 trains to get there

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Let me give you some advise:

1) They will let you move onto second year as the first year doesn't count and if you've previously shown you're capable of hitting the minimum required to move on they will take that into consideration, but you may have to go into to discuss how serious you are about your education.
2) Make sure you take the dyslexia test, this is important for two things i) You will receive the extra help you deserve ii) because of your exam anxiety, dyslexia students do their exams in a small groups in a room instead on the athletics centre with about 1000+ others which can be nerve reckoning.
3) Get in contact with the counselling service at Brunel, should your anxiety get worse, getting a student loan in my opinion is the best option.
4) Brunel is great at supporting their students, but believe me when I say second and third year just gets harder and harder, so make sure you'r focused. If not take a break and come back to your studies, as you have said 9k a year isn't something to take lightly.

I have friends that have failed their degrees or who graduated with 3rd or no classification because of things you mentioned, but you can still turn it around :smile:
"or dry trying"
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it 😊
Reply 7
polarity, dry trying? lol
Original post by AbstractMind
polarity, dry trying? lol

I read it somewhere in your first post and loled
Reply 9
ohh lol Student rooms mods looked at my post and change some of the words lol
Did you ever hear back from Uni? Hope it all goes well for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymitylove_
Did you ever hear back from Uni? Hope it all goes well for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've agreed to allow me to do the exam in 2 weeks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending