The Student Room Group

Terrified about starting my child nursing course

Hi. So I’ve got a place at uni to study child nursing and I’m meant to be moving in in two weeks but I don’t know whether to go. I’m super scared, not only about going to uni, moving away from home etc, but also about the course because I think I’ve made the wrong choice. I haven’t always had a passion for nursing and I’m really struggling to see myself as one, and I starting to think that I picked it because I wanted to go to uni and it seemed to be a good idea because nursing is a worthwhile career, rather that because it was a career I wanted. I know I want to work with children, but now I’m staring to think that I would be better suited to teaching, which is something that’s always been in the back of my mind.

My level of anxiety has got so bad that I haven’t been sleeping properly for weeks and am now on sleeping tablets, I cry several times a day and whenever I look at my nursing textbooks/see an email from my uni/hear anything about nursing it sets me off again :frown:

On the other hand, I feel if I don’t go I’m just giving up, and have wasted a year (I’ve just had a gap year) and a load of time applying for a course I’m dreading. I also feel guilty because I know it’s such a worthwhile degree to do and I’ve been given an opportunity to study it.

I really don’t know what to do… should I make myself go despite all of my worries (and the fact that I’m pretty sure I would come home again), or should I drop out now, have a second gap year, and reconsider???

Sorry for rambling on, but does anyone have any advice? :confused:
give it a try. nursing is a very noble career that pays well, if you don't like it you can always change courses by asking your university.

you're worrying too much and thinking too much - just let it go and go have fun lol.
Hon just give it a go. If you won't like it and see it's not for you, the world won't end. The worst thing that could happen is you'll go home. And do something else!
Just because nursing is a good career doesn't mean it's for everyone. So if you do decide to quit, don't worry about it because it just wasn't meant to be.

I'm 90% sure you'll end up loving it. Like they say, if it scares you, just do it because it will be worth it.

I was in the same boat actually, I now am doing a degree (politics) and I wasn't really sure about it at all. Right now it's fine!

And about wasting another year... we all have different paths in life to succeed. So you may take a little longer but you will get there in the end.

But in conclusion, just go for it. You may think you'll definitely return but come on, you don't know until you don't try!

Quick Reply

Latest