The Student Room Group

Taking the test in your own car...

Original post by twinkledust
I took my test in my own car after failing in instructors car twice. Cause i kept failing on silly things, i didnt wanna keep paying out for lessons etc. It went fine. I became much more confident in my own car and I passed. I think that it helped me.

hoping this will help me- using my mums car in which i can drive feeling relaxed whereas I've failed twice in the instructors car because I feel like I have do drive really mechanically not naturally in that car... fingers bloody well crossed aha
Reply 1
I was 110% confident in my own car. However I took my test 4 times in it, and failed each time on the most minor things. I kept getting the same examiner, and every time he got into my car he made some comment about not liking when the car didn't have dual controls.

Examiners can't fail you for taking a test in your own car. However they can make a snap judgement that you either haven't had any formal lessons from a qualified instructor, or have been deemed too dangerous to drive an instructors car.

My final test, in an instructors car, was the worst drive of my life; despite going into every previous test confident, I freaked out and was shaking so badly. I ran an amber light with plenty of time to stop, completely fluffed up my reverse around the corner (I'd never not managed a maneuver before that), and didn't drive above 25mph the whole time. But I passed.

If you're taking the test in your own car, ask your instructor to sit through the test with you. It will at least let the examiner know that you have had lessons, and your instructor has deemed you test worthy :smile:
Reply 2
I have found that examiners are not put off. I passed first time in my own car after no lessons, just reading books. I taught my wife to drive and similar. Then taught our daughter to drive, test in our car and no problem. Taught son to drive and he passed on second attempt.

Didn't just teach 'em to pass the test, taught driving. Driving up and down very steep hills, driving winding country lanes, city centres, and driving fast on dual carriageways.

When daughter passed her test, at end of test examiner said "I can tell you haven't had lessons, who taught you?" and when she replied "my dad" the examiner said "well done dad".
Split this from the other thread, please don't bump old ones from 8 years ago.
Reply 4
Why? Comments from 8 years ago are still relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest