The Student Room Group

Need advice on what to do after missing out on medicine offer

Hi, I had an offer for medicine this year but I missed my offer by getting ABB. I'm going to do a gap year where I'm planning to resit some modules to get AAA. However, I'm not sure if I'll just get rejected straight away if I apply with the intention to resit.

Any advice on whether people have done what I'm planning to do and got into medicine would be appreciated. I've also heard that some medical schools are against completing a levels after year 13?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need to read the TSR medicine wiki on resit policies urgently. Most med schools will only accept A2 resits with extenuating circumstances, you might find the odd exception.
Both Liverpool and Lancaster accept re-sit applicants provided you reflect on the reasons behind resitting in your personal statement. Manchester too accepts re-sits but with good reasons behind it and you need a A*'s in the resit subjects. If you're eligible for 6 year courses Nottingham,Southampton and King's have that option.
Pm me if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by numar9501
Both Liverpool and Lancaster accept re-sit applicants provided you reflect on the reasons behind resitting in your personal statement. Manchester too accepts re-sits but with good reasons behind it and you need a A*'s in the resit subjects. If you're eligible for 6 year courses Nottingham,Southampton and King's have that option.
Pm me if you have any questions :smile:

Are you sure about Manchester and Liverpool for 2015 entry? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alfresco_
Are you sure about Manchester and Liverpool for 2015 entry? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed Liverpool for 2015 entry and they said it was fine-just been on the Manchester website...it says you need AAB at your first sitting if they consider your re-sit so i guess that doesnt apply..sorry!
I emailed Liverpool for 2015 entry and they said it was fine-just been on the Manchester website...it says you need AAB at your first sitting if they consider your re-sit so i guess that doesnt apply..sorry!

ooh awesome! no extenuating circumstances or certain grades first time for Liverpool then? and what do you need to be predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No,you obviously will need to provide some sort of decent reason via your personal statement and reference though... And you need to be predicted AAA
I'm pretty much in the same position :-)
No,you obviously will need to provide some sort of decent reason via your personal statement and reference though... And you need to be predicted AAA
I'm pretty much in the same position :-)

sounds good, what did you achieve? if you don't mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
sounds good, what did you achieve? if you don't mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got ABB :smile: have you done your UKCAT yet?
I got ABB :smile: have you done your UKCAT yet?

doing it next month, wbu? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
doing it next month, wbu? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same,in about 3 weeks...I'm only doing it for the 2 six year courses I'm applying to-hows the prep going?
Same,in about 3 weeks...I'm only doing it for the 2 six year courses I'm applying to-hows the prep going?

oh right, doing it for exeter haha.

It's okay, a bit meh. Hate QR

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh right, doing it for exeter haha.

It's okay, a bit meh. Hate QR

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do Exeter take resits?? I hate the whole thing :tongue:
Without extenuating circumstances your options are very restricted tbh
I think so? I called them up (:

hahaha fair enough but no time to hate it now, just gotta get it done :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if it says this anywhere on their website because I can't find it?
Aargh yeah I know-just wait until the addiction to checking emails starts!
Do you know if it says this anywhere on their website because I can't find it?
Aargh yeah I know-just wait until the addiction to checking emails starts!

Actually I just found it!!
Actually I just found it!!

haha yay! and ah I haven't had the experience if that yet haha, first time applying

What are you doing in your gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
haha yay! and ah I haven't had the experience if that yet haha, first time applying

What are you doing in your gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its soul destroying! Hehe-you become an addict and student room becomes your best friend...crazy times! I'll be resitting,doing some extra qualifications,volunteerng etc-u?
(edited 9 years ago)
Its soul destroying! Hehe-you become an addict and student room becomes your best friend...crazy times! I'll be resitting,doing some extra qualifications,volunteerng etc-u?

doesn't sound fun!!
like an EPQ? and yeah volunteering too haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
doesn't sound fun!!
like an EPQ? and yeah volunteering too haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not :frown: Nah im going to continue an additional as level that i took in yr 13 up to a2,do a medical sciences diploma and sit in on some chem lessons to re-sit...Also get an official first aid qualification and maybe do an open university online course related to medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending