The Student Room Group

Confused with UMS/Raw mark for Mathematics A Edexcel GCSE results?

Hey people!

Well for my GCSE maths I got an A which I'm extremely happy with but I was curious as to how I can find out what my raw mark is so I can find out how weak/strong my A is? I did spec A edexcel for maths and on their website it says that they don't have a UMS system for that GCSE but I wasn't given a raw mark either on my results paper. Just a number written '52' in the points columns but the whole GCSE is out of 200 so I don't know what that 52 means. :/

I will be talking to my maths teacher soon to find out what's exactly going on but I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue and if anyone knew why the edexcel Maths GCSE marks are presented like that and if they know how it works?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
A*=58
A=52
B=46
C= 40
D= 34
E= 28
F= 22
Its GCSE points, every GCSE grade you get will be scored with the above scale... So if you got 10A*s then you will have (10x58) 580 GCSE points.

As for the raw mark, you will have to speak to your exam officer and he/she will contact Edexcel and they should provide you with your raw marks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LazyAmbition
Hey people!

Well for my GCSE maths I got an A which I'm extremely happy with but I was curious as to how I can find out what my raw mark is so I can find out how weak/strong my A is? I did spec A edexcel for maths and on their website it says that they don't have a UMS system for that GCSE but I wasn't given a raw mark either on my results paper. Just a number written '52' in the points columns but the whole GCSE is out of 200 so I don't know what that 52 means. :/

I will be talking to my maths teacher soon to find out what's exactly going on but I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue and if anyone knew why the edexcel Maths GCSE marks are presented like that and if they know how it works?

Your exams officer should have downloaded all of the marks for the Maths teachers.

Alternatively, have you got a log in for Results Plus on the Edexcel website?
Original post by Angelo12231
A*=58
A=52
B=46
C= 40
D= 34
E= 28
F= 22
Its GCSE points, every GCSE grade you get will be scored with the above scale... So if you got 10A*s then you will have (10x58) 580 GCSE points.

As for the raw mark, you will have to speak to your exam officer and he/she will contact Edexcel and they should provide you with your raw marks.

Thanks and I will do.
I know some sixth forms use GCSE points to indicate their entry requirements but do you know if GCSE points contribute to anything else such as applying to uni, employment etc?
Original post by tiny hobbit
Your exams officer should have downloaded all of the marks for the Maths teachers.

Alternatively, have you got a log in for Results Plus on the Edexcel website?

I don't have a login for ResultsPlus but I will defo be seeing my maths teacher and exam officer (for remarks) so hopefully I'll see how high/low my A is. Thanks :smile:
Thanks and I will do.
I know some sixth forms use GCSE points to indicate their entry requirements but do you know if GCSE points contribute to anything else such as applying to uni, employment etc?

They defo do contribute to SOME universities. Some Russell Group Universities will ask for, for example, 416 GCSE points minimum. 416 is equivalent to 8 A grades. For employment, they probably won't ask for points, just that you have passed English and Maths, or science if related.
Reply 6

(The bit about the 52 (QCA points) has already been answered).

It's a bit of historical thing - most Maths syllabuses were never unitised (made modular) and so they don't have UMS marks and the grade boundaries vary from year to year. They also aren't sent in the results download so they don't appear on the sheet. All of the Maths teachers or the exams officer can download the actual marks if you want to know if it's worth a re-mark.
Reply 7
UMS doesn't exist for maths, only the raw mark, which your teacher/exam officer will give you if you ask them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest