The Student Room Group

Can you get A at AS level if you have crap teachers?

I was wondering and if they don't teach you the correct info?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the subject and you have to do a lot of work to self study but it is possible
Self teach.
Get the syllabus and use the official textbook.
I am planning to do that because I cannot work in class without falling asleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's probably harder for sciences/maths but I managed an A in A2 Lit with a bad teacher. Definitely possible if you put your mind to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Definitely a lot harder - since i had a bad teacher for AS! Sound advice - work hard at home and get good textbooks and revision guides!! [CGP's best imo]. good luck!
Original post by Changing Skies
It's probably harder for sciences/maths but I managed an A in A2 Lit with a bad teacher. Definitely possible if you put your mind to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on the results:biggrin:

I am doing all the sciences and maths:biggrin: and would it be advisable to ask the bad teacher for help on topics I don't understand/ grasp? Or will they give me the wrong information

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course, I have in biology! At A level a lot of the work you do is independent, so often you have to make the notes out of the book/revision guide yourself outside of class, instead of just writing down what the teacher says. You become less reliant on teachers and it's down to you to work. And to get the correct info you just need the specification and textbook. Yes, it helps loads if you have a good teacher, but at the end of the day it's down to you to learn and work. :smile:
Original post by missfats
Self teach.
Get the syllabus and use the official textbook.
I am planning to do that because I cannot work in class without falling asleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok . Lol . Maybe you need to go to sleep earlier:tongue:
I will need a crap load of motivation to be able to self teach myself 4AS levels. But I think I am motivated to study and get 4A at AS:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Komodo dragon
Yes of course, I have in biology! At A level a lot of the work you do is independent, so often you have to make the notes out of the book/revision guide yourself outside of class, instead of just writing down what the teacher says. You become less reliant on teachers and it's down to you to work. And to get the correct info you just need the specification and textbook. Yes, it helps loads if you have a good teacher, but at the end of the day it's down to you to learn and work. :smile:

OK but what did you when it gets to topics that you find difficult and don't understand after reading the textbook/ CCP revision guides

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are great maths / science videos online all over for A level.
For my AS Philosophy class one (half) of my teachers was cut ally an R.E. teacher who knew nothing substantial about Philosophy. Had to teach myself about religious epistemology which was a massive ass pain :frown:

Still got 100% though so I guess it is possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's sciences and maths then sure, you can do it if you learn everything by yourself. Having not done things like English lit, History etc, I'm not sure how well you'd do with the more essay based subjects.
Had a crap AS Maths teacher but I managed to do well - thank **** for examsolutions.net

Also had an AWFUL biology teacher for 2 years ffs -__- She only taught us 10% of the syllabus honestly!
I decided to go through the syllabus by myself and make notes for all the topics and memorise them. If I didn't do this I would have failed honestly!!
Reply 13
Original post by Changing Skies

maths is the easiest of all subjects to self-teach as you can be lazy :biggrin:
It's definitely possible. I did maths and all the sciences and had at least one module for each taught by a truly rubbish teacher, but didn't do any differently on those modules than the ones with super teachers (all done well).

You just need to work hard yourself and do lots of revision and many past papers
I've never relied on my teachers I always just teach myself, with motivation and hard work you're shoo-in for four As - good luck :yep:
Yes. In biology we have 1 good teacher, and 1 very very bad one (she does about half the course), but my sister still managed to get at least 110/120 in all her modules, and full marks in some of them. Also the same for maths. But you'd probably have to study more, get revision books, etc, if you want really high grades with bad teachers

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had an awful teacher for English Lit AS, she has now 'retired', luckily it's a subject where as long as you know the spec and know the texts you're alright. I stopped going to lessons and taught myself and then got full marks in the exam. Obviously it helps to have a decent teacher, but depending on the subject you can do fine on your own :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest