The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Joint Honours anyone?

I was wondering if anyone else here is going to be doing a Joint Honours degree, and how you plan on managing your time between the two subjects.

I'm doing Sociology and Theology & Religious Studies :smile:
I'm going to be doing English and History, I don't know yet how I'm going to manage my time but I found history harder than English so I'll probably have to spend more time studying that subject.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I'm doing Biology and History and Philosophy of Science - I'm not thrilled (the name doesn't exactly trip off the tongue) and I've heard bad things about the management of Joint Honours courses here. But regardless, we should be able to manage the workload fine, we take just as many credits as those on single courses so the workload shouldn't be more intense.
Reply 3
I'm studying Economics and History and my plan is just to repeatedly ask myself why did I choose to do a joint honours degree
Reply 4
I'm going into my second year as a joint honours

I've found it fine and actually enjoyed having two separate things to study.
The work load is no worse than single honours as it's all done by credits.
However I know of quite a lot of people that switch to one subject by the end of first year because they find they're better at/enjoy one more than the other.

My only negative so far is that you struggle to keep up socially with everything going on in your subject's societies as you have to split yourself in two! But it depends if your course is sociable or not and if you're that bothered about that...
Fresher's week might be a bit hectic for you!
Reply 5
Original post by Laura75

However I know of quite a lot of people that switch to one subject by the end of first year because they find they're better at/enjoy one more than the other.

My only negative so far is that you struggle to keep up socially with everything going on in your subject's societies as you have to split yourself in two! But it depends if your course is sociable or not and if you're that bothered about that...

How easy is it to transfer to single honours after the first year?
Reply 6
Original post by Laura75

can I transfer to a single honour right now?
Reply 7
Original post by carehow
How easy is it to transfer to single honours after the first year?

I think it depends on the subject etc but I think as long as you get above a certain mark overall (I would guess 60), and especially in the subject you want to carry on with, it's pretty easy.
Reply 8
Original post by grosseban
can I transfer to a single honour right now?

not sure:/ you might be able to within the first few weeks but I think it depends on the subject and whether they have spaces or not
Reply 9
Original post by Laura75
not sure:/ you might be able to within the first few weeks but I think it depends on the subject and whether they have spaces or not

They did not have any vacancies on results day so I doubt that they have some now :/
Do you know who I have to contact to find out?
Reply 10
English & History here.
Original post by grosseban
They did not have any vacancies on results day so I doubt that they have some now :/
Do you know who I have to contact to find out?

Probably just e-mail the department you want to transfer to.
Original post by carehow
Probably just e-mail the department you want to transfer to.

Ok i'm going to try that
Thank you so much for the info!!
Doing two subjects doesn't actually involve more work. Most Uni courses in Humanities subjects involve doing two parallel courses ('units', 'modules') a term. So for those doing a single subject, they do two in one subject. For those doing joint subjects, they take one course in each.
Reply 14
Original post by Laura75

Hiya, how easy is it to switch to single honours after year one?
My induction week for both of my subjects clashes, wonderful.
Usually subject/courses changes can only happen if someone else drops out/doesn't enrol, and that often isn't clear until a week (or more) into term.
You should either phone the Dept now and ask if its possible, are there any spaces now, if not what is the procedure after term starts.
Original post by carehow
My induction week for both of my subjects clashes, wonderful.

Phone the Dept, and make them aware of this.

Quick Reply

Latest