The Student Room Group

When/How shall I tell my MUSLIM parents I have a boyfriend??

I have been with him for almost 2 months. I just want her to know I have a boyfriend. I don't want her to meet him just yet. I have been giving very subtle hints. I sent her a photo of us two via whatsapp and she wasn't very nice. She called him ugly and told me to delete the photo or crop him out. I said don't be mean about my friends to her. She asked me who he was an I said just a friend.

My boyfriend isn't Muslim or the same race as me. My mum isn't super religious but she doesn't want me to have a boyfriend yet. I think she cares too much about what her friends will say if they see us two together or something.

Anyway, how do I break it to her?

Scroll to see replies

What country are you both from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are not muslim, then ok date him but I don't think somali parents will be accepting of a non-muslim guy. However they won't have a problem with him being of a different race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Save yourself the hassle, and just find a Muslim guy :biggrin:
Don't.

edit: I supposed im regarding my own muslim background in this response, my mum would flip like crazy. However, you've sent her a photo, something i just couldnt do... So I suppose shes at least got some baring of the situation)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by missfats
If you are not muslim, then ok date him but I don't think somali parents will be accepting of a non-muslim guy. However they won't have a problem with him being of a different race.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am Muslim lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** your parents and just don't mention anything about your relationship to them. Do what you want and ignore what they say. Life is too short to be unhappy, especially when it comes to things like love and happiness that stems from it.
What country are you both from?

its better to find a muslim guy hun
Reply 8
Original post by im so academic
**** your parents and just don't mention anything about your relationship to them. Do what you want and ignore what they say. Life is too short to be unhappy, especially when it comes to things like love and happiness that stems from it.

/ thread

YOLO OP.
Reply 9
with your mouth
Does he actually munt? Your Mum might have just given an honest opinion.

Interpretative dace might be nice, or a puppet show.
Don't. Do what the other posters suggest: find a Muslim man, get your parents approval then fly back to your home country don one of those big black bags muslim chicks wear then spend the rest of your days reading the quarane.
TBH you don't have to say, my boyfriends parents are incredibly strict christians and we are from different racial backgrounds, he didn't tell them that we were dating, they found out after about a year and a half, yeah things were tricky but why should we care what they think about our relationship? If they can't be happy for their own son and if they don't care about his happiness, why should he care what they think?
So what if your parents disapprove, do what makes you happy, because at the end of the day it is your life, not theirs and you won't be living with them forever, but a partner can be for life.
Do what makes you happy! Forget about religion and race, it's 2014, that really shouldn't matter anymore.
Not to turn this into a religious debate but the Qur'an prohibits female from marrying a non-Muslim. How do you expect this relationship to go forward, whilst maintaining your Muslim identity? There seems to be a conflict of interest. (Sheikh mode over)

Nonetheless, given your situation, I wouldn't tell your parents if you are to maintain a healthy ongoing relationship with them as the potential risks of inevitable disappointment outweigh the unlikely possibility of acceptance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
I had two girlfriends astugfirullah and I never told my parents. I think you should do the same especially with your boyfriend not being a Muslim.
Original post by letsbehonest
I have been with him for almost 2 months. I just want her to know I have a boyfriend. I don't want her to meet him just yet. I have been giving very subtle hints. I sent her a photo of us two via whatsapp and she wasn't very nice. She called him ugly and told me to delete the photo or crop him out. I said don't be mean about my friends to her. She asked me who he was an I said just a friend.

My boyfriend isn't Muslim or the same race as me. My mum isn't super religious but she doesn't want me to have a boyfriend yet. I think she cares too much about what her friends will say if they see us two together or something.

Anyway, how do I break it to her?

DON'T!!!!!!, but if you decide otherwise remember you do so at your own risk of being executed in a mercy killing style or attacked with acid. BE CAREFUL
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Not to turn this into a religious debate but the Qur'an prohibits female from marrying a non-Muslim. How do you expect this relationship to go forward, whilst maintaining your Muslim identity? There seems to be a conflict of interest. (Sheikh mode over)

Nonetheless, given your situation, I wouldn't tell your parents if you are to maintain a healthy ongoing relationship with them as the potential risks of inevitable disappointment outweigh the unlikely possibility of acceptance.

Exactly but as well as losing her Islamic identity she will also lose her life as it promotes death by mercy killing, stoning or public execution and/or punishment by acid or rape. So she really needs to consider her relationship for the sake of her life, literally
Reply 17
Tell them to get stuffed, its none of their business. You should not kowtow to their intolerance and racism.
Original post by The Right
Exactly but as well as losing her Islamic identity she will also lose her life as it promotes death by mercy killing, stoning or public execution and/or punishment by acid or rape. So she really needs to consider her relationship for the sake of her life, literally

Not sure if srs.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Not sure if srs.

I am definitely serious. I have seen first hand what coming out with truth to Muslim parents does to you. You need to imagine a gun is being held to your head as you tell them because it is not a far off representation of what will happen afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending