The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into a good uni or Russell Group if i'm repeating Year 12

Title says it all :frown:

I'm having to repeat the year, and i was just wondering what chances i have now as i've been really really worried about it ever since i got my AS results back.
The vast majority of universities do not mind if you retake a year, as long as your results are what they're looking for.

Oxbridge don't take that kindly to retakers, but if you're a strong enough applicant you can even go for them.
Oxbridge wouldn't be too happy with it, and some medical schools would turn you down, but otherwise it doesn't really matter.
Reply 3
Original post by loperdoper
Oxbridge wouldn't be too happy with it, and some medical schools would turn you down, but otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Which medical schools would turn me down and which ones wouldn't?
Original post by arch0wnz
Which medical schools would turn me down and which ones wouldn't?

I honestly wouldn't know. Check this list, click onto their website and see if they say "taken over two years". But it's really only going to be two or three.
Reply 5
Is it the more competitive courses that might not allow me to get a place?
Reply 6
Is it the more competitive courses that might not allow me to get a place?

Meh. Even competitive subjects like law / economics / engineering won't be a massive problem at majority of places. Most of the time its down to the uni itself

The idea that RG's are a golden circle whereby you need to be super gifted and have all facilitating subjects to even stand a chance of an offer is pretty overrated advice.
Reply 7
Original post by Jkizer
Meh. Even competitive subjects like law / economics / engineering won't be a massive problem at majority of places. Most of the time its down to the uni itself

The idea that RG's are a golden circle whereby you need to be super gifted and have all facilitating subjects to even stand a chance of an offer is pretty overrated advice.

I'm just worried that I won't be able to go to a uni of my choice, for example Kings which has been my dream for a long while.
Reply 8
So any ideas on what i should do this year as i'm repeating? Any tips?
Reply 9
Reply 10
Title says it all :frown:

I'm having to repeat the year, and i was just wondering what chances i have now as i've been really really worried about it ever since i got my AS results back.

Just learn where you went wrong, and don't let it beat you. I'm going to a Russel Group in September, having resat a year because of A, E, U, U first time around, so you still have a good chance! Good luck.
Reply 11
Original post by noveria
Just learn where you went wrong, and don't let it beat you. I'm going to a Russel Group in September, having resat a year because of A, E, U, U first time around, so you still have a good chance! Good luck.

Thank you, what course are you currently studying?
Original post by Jkizer

This. RGs are just the UK's decent to exceptional unis, don't let anyone tell you it's the UK equivalent to the Ivy League. Also, don't pick one university over another university simply because it is an RG member - there are plenty of universities that provide an equal standard of education that are outside of the RG. You could consider the likes of St Andrews and Bath, but even places such as Leicester would give QML and Liverpool a run for their money.
(edited 9 years ago)
So any ideas on what i should do this year as i'm repeating? Any tips?

Revise from day 1 and ask for help if you don't understand a topic. Use the specs and revision guides. Also make notes and bang out as many past papers you can get hold off. Mark the papers and go over the topics you got wrong. And start revising/studying earlier.
I am also repeating year 12:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Revise from day 1 and ask for help if you don't understand a topic. Use the specs and revision guides. Also make notes and bang out as many past papers you can get hold off. Mark the papers and go over the topics you got wrong. And start revising/studying earlier.
I am also repeating year 12:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grades did you get and how will you make sure that it doesn't happen again?
What grades did you get and how will you make sure that it doesn't happen again?

3Ds and I will make sure I am on top of my work and avoid being distracted and procrastinate. I will make sure I ask for help when I don't understand a topic and keep going over the whole book and read ahead of the class and self teach myself the subjects as the sixth forms always finish the subjects a few weeks before the exam which is not enough time to revise.
Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Thank you, what course are you currently studying?

You're welcome. I'm studying Physical Geography at the University of Exeter.

Quick Reply

Latest