The Student Room Group

Am I academic enough?

Hello,

I am aspiring to become a doctor. I'm currently in Year 11 and I need to choose my a-levels soon... I would like to know whether or not, you believe; I'm academic enough based on my GCSE predicated grades to study Chemistry and Biology and then study medicine. I want to know as otherwise I will choose other a-levels and subsequently choose a different career path.

English Language - B
Maths - B
Science - B
Sociology - A*
French - B
Business - A
R.E - B
I.C.T - B

Thank you very much.
Reply 1
Based on results alone, I wouldn't expect you to hit AAA with ease. Mainly, your Maths/Science grades aren't screaming out, so it's really a case of: why do you have those grades? Laziness, or did it take a lot of work to get those grades?

Simply put, some people do better at AS because they have fewer subjects to focus on, and actually try. However, plenty of people also absolutely crash out because they couldn't deal with the workload or found things too difficult and weren't prepared to work for it.

Something like Chemistry - personally, GCSE results aren't particularly indicative. AS/A2 Chemistry begins to develop the logical thinking and focuses more on understanding. From what I remember, GCSE is just churning out random facts about completely different areas. If you're not too comfortable with Maths then some areas may frustrate you a bit initially, just because there are some parts just focused on fundamental calculations (concentrations, moles etc.).

You definitely don't need an A* (I only got As in GCSE sciences) - but a B is often the minimum grade they will let you proceed with.

Why do you want to be a doctor? If that's your ultimate goal then i'd imagine your secondary choices probably resemble science at some point, so taking those subjects even if you don't pursue medicine is not a bad thing. Even if you get the grades at AS/A2 medicine unfortunately requires a lot more - so factor in the time you'll spend doing work experience, with the time you'll need to spend revising. All is not lost, but there's a lot of hard work ahead of you. Personally, i'd probably do something else (infact, I did, I thought about doing dentistry for a while but the reality of the whole application situation and background just made me change). Medicine is a nice "easy option to think about" because it's so straight forward, but there are so many things out there that you can go do that you've just never even heard of right now. You don't need your whole life mapped out at this stage, it's just getting the subjects right for what you might do. What are you thinking about if not medicine?
Reply 2
Original post by Nymthae
Based on results alone, I wouldn't expect you to hit AAA with ease. Mainly, your Maths/Science grades aren't screaming out, so it's really a case of: why do you have those grades? Laziness, or did it take a lot of work to get those grades?

Simply put, some people do better at AS because they have fewer subjects to focus on, and actually try. However, plenty of people also absolutely crash out because they couldn't deal with the workload or found things too difficult and weren't prepared to work for it.

Something like Chemistry - personally, GCSE results aren't particularly indicative. AS/A2 Chemistry begins to develop the logical thinking and focuses more on understanding. From what I remember, GCSE is just churning out random facts about completely different areas. If you're not too comfortable with Maths then some areas may frustrate you a bit initially, just because there are some parts just focused on fundamental calculations (concentrations, moles etc.).

You definitely don't need an A* (I only got As in GCSE sciences) - but a B is often the minimum grade they will let you proceed with.

Why do you want to be a doctor? If that's your ultimate goal then i'd imagine your secondary choices probably resemble science at some point, so taking those subjects even if you don't pursue medicine is not a bad thing. Even if you get the grades at AS/A2 medicine unfortunately requires a lot more - so factor in the time you'll spend doing work experience, with the time you'll need to spend revising. All is not lost, but there's a lot of hard work ahead of you. Personally, i'd probably do something else (infact, I did, I thought about doing dentistry for a while but the reality of the whole application situation and background just made me change). Medicine is a nice "easy option to think about" because it's so straight forward, but there are so many things out there that you can go do that you've just never even heard of right now. You don't need your whole life mapped out at this stage, it's just getting the subjects right for what you might do. What are you thinking about if not medicine?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

My grades are poor, I agree. I had family issues and only started attending school regularly since the start of Year 10. The issues which held me back previously are not out of the equation and won't re-occur.

I would love to be a cardiothoracic surgeon or a doctor working in an emergency department.

My other career aspirations are to become a lawyer or take a split French & Business degree with the hope of operating within a business or teaching French in a secondary school.
Reply 3
Original post by AstonS12
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

My grades are poor, I agree. I had family issues and only started attending school regularly since the start of Year 10. The issues which held me back previously are not out of the equation and won't re-occur.

I would love to be a cardiothoracic surgeon or a doctor working in an emergency department.

My other career aspirations are to become a lawyer or take a split French & Business degree with the hope of operating within a business or teaching French in a secondary school.

Your grades aren't poor, they're just not stellar either.

Well, given there are no strict requirements for Law in terms of subject, taking Biology, Chemistry, and French, would already keep those options open. Maths may well be an advantage if you end up veering down another scientific route, or the business side. Other than that you might want an essay based subject (something like Eng Lit, or RS possibly) but it's not mandatory.

As long as you're confident in yourself, and are willing to work for it where necessary, it's not out of your reach. There are certain medical schools that look at GCSEs more than others, so when it comes to applying you'll just have to avoid them. A good performance on the UKCAT will be necessary. If your AS year and your UKCAT don't go to plan then you still have the subjects to go down the other routes. Even if you have the grades for a course like medicine, the chances of getting offers are still quite low so as long as you're prepared to accept that if you choose to apply for it then it's worth a shot.

Quick Reply

Latest