The Student Room Group

Oxbridge students or anyone :) are you passionate about your courses?

Hi,
Just wanted to get your opinions on this. A teacher of mine made a statement about success and about the students who are in the top universities. He said that passion is the main thing and reason for you guys to go to these top universities. Something along those lines and that you're all passionate about your subjects which lead you to work hard. Did you all know from set on you where passionate about a course. For example when doing your GCSEs and A-levels, where you already passionate about subjects? Ok I know they sound like stupid questions but is passion is the main, number one reason? If so, I may have to re-evaluate my life. I've chosen these A-levels to become an engineer and aim to get into these top universities yet I'm not so sure if I am passionate about everything yet. It would be nice to go one of these top universities but If passion is the main thing, my, who knows I could change my mind by tomorrow.

Now here's the thing, for those who are passionate about their subject and courses...if you have a job where your passion for a subject or course lies yet somehow today have the opportunity of having job with higher wages where your passions aren't necessarily there would you take it?

Sorry for this extremely long post, it's just what my teacher said really had me thinking...Gonna have to post this twice for another form...Thanks :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I think when it comes to Oxbridge, passion is more important for arts/humanities than it is for sciences. I'm sure some scientists will come along and tell me I'm wrong though :tongue:

I've been passionate about music as a subject for a long time, stretching back to GCSEs and even beyond (I'm 25 now and about to embark upon a PhD :eek: ). Been playing piano since I was 3 and it was my life :yep:

Edit: Forgot to answer your question about the job situation. I'd rather take the less-paid job I'm passionate about, tbh :musicus:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cherry82
Hi,
Just wanted to get your opinions on this. A teacher of mine made a statement about success and about the students who are in the top universities. He said that passion is the main thing and reason for you guys to go to these top universities. Something along those lines and that you're all passionate about your subjects which lead you to work hard. Did you all know from set on you where passionate about a course. For example when doing your GCSEs and A-levels, where you already passionate about subjects? Ok I know they sound like stupid questions but is passion is the main, number one reason? If so, I may have to re-evaluate my life. I've chosen these A-levels to become an engineer and aim to get into these top universities yet I'm not so sure if I am passionate about everything yet. It would be nice to go one of these top universities but If passion is the main thing, my, who knows I could change my mind by tomorrow.

Now here's the thing, for those who are passionate about their subject and courses...if you have a job where your passion for a subject or course lies yet somehow today have the opportunity of having job with higher wages where your passions aren't necessarily there would you take it?

Sorry for this extremely long post, it's just what my teacher said really had me thinking...

I have known always I was an artist. My passion for it drove me to work hard in my other subjects to get the grades. So yeah I would agree with this I knew for definite in year 8 I wanted to go to do Art at university...Everyone is different though...
Reply 3
Yes!! I loooooooooove my subject!! :banana:
I wouldn't say I was extremely passionate about my subject, and I definitely didn't always know I wanted to do it. But I am interested in it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,

Sorry for this extremely long post, it's just what my teacher said really had me thinking...Gonna have to post this twice for another form...Thanks :biggrin:

There are plenty of people at Oxbridge doing subjects because it was the most pragmatic choice for them to get where they wanted to go in life, rather than because they want to be an academic in their subject for life (this seems particularly common amongst Engineers). I think people tend to over-romanticise Oxbridge 'passion' - typically they're as passionate as students from other top universities, but are just a bit better at their subjects/perform a bit better at interviews.

However, it is fair to say that almost everyone at Oxbridge enjoys their subject at least to some extent (I can't imagine getting through a Cambridge degree truly hating your course); and there are a not insubstantial minority who truly do love their subject so much that they dedicate a large proportion of their free time and energy towards it on top of set work.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think maybe

I'm considering applying for Philosophy at Cambridge because that is truly my passion, I absolutely adore it an enjoy nothing more than reading Philosophy. However, this doesn't stretch to all my University applications, that is, in most places I'm applying to read Law for pragmatic reasons.

It would surprise me if anybody could get a place at Oxbridge without a passion for their subject. It's very intense so you'd have to be committed to survive really. However equally I think it's more likely that people who get places at Oxbridge tend to be more passionate because they can afford to do pleasurable subjects due to the great employment prospects.
Reply 7
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think when it comes to Oxbridge, passion is more important for arts/humanities than it is for sciences. I'm sure some scientists will come along and tell me I'm wrong though :tongue:

I've been passionate about music as a subject for a long time, stretching back to GCSEs and even beyond (I'm 25 now and about to embark upon a PhD :eek: ). Been playing piano since I was 3 and it was my life :yep:

Edit: Forgot to answer your question about the job situation. I'd rather take the less-paid job I'm passionate about, tbh :musicus:

That young? Wow, that's amazing.
The only thing I have ever felt as passionate for from a young age was performing. That's something I could do regardless of the pay too. I love to sing but I was told that I have to face reality. Statics show that the chances of anyone becoming a successful performer/singer currently, it's very small. My father is very set on education and advised me to consider another career to back it up :s-smilie:. Therefore I went for my second choice which was engineering. What's funny is that today I realised that I like the idea of inventing things more than the whole engineering business side of things if that makes sense. Why can't I just become an inventor instead? Lol is there a course rather than engineering that could help support an inventor and their ideas?
Hi,

Sorry for this extremely long post, it's just what my teacher said really had me thinking...

I think it really depends on your views towards the alternative. I mean, I do find my subject (Law) interesting, but I wouldn't say I'm very passionate about it - I picked it by process of elimination, rather than by knowing that was the one thing I absolutely wanted to do. I certainly don't have the same level of interest across all of my modules either, I much prefer Administrative law to Jurisprudence, for instance. Obviously, being very passionate might make the long hours of studying less dire because you find everything really interesting, but you certainly can get by in Oxford by just being interested enough. On the other hand, if you dislike your subject and only took it for job prospects/ because your parents insisted etc, you might struggle.

With respect to getting a job, again it boils down to how you see both alternatives. I would say that liking what you do certainly helps make things feel less like a chore. However, I personally think the key thing is that you cannot dread or hate your job. As long as you find it interesting enough, you should be all right, even if you aren't as happy/ fulfilled. On the other hand, it becomes a real struggle if you really dislike what you're doing, because the average person spends a huge amount of time working. Especially if you're in a very high paying job, because that tends to equate to longer hours as well. I haven't actually started working yet though, so this is conjecture on my part.

What sort of careers/ subjects are you potentially interested in pursuing aside from engineering? :smile:
That young? Wow, that's amazing.
The only thing I have ever felt as passionate for from a young age was performing. That's something I could do regardless of the pay too. I love to sing but I was told that I have to face reality. Statics show that the chances of anyone becoming a successful performer/singer currently, it's very small. My father is very set on education and advised me to consider another career to back it up :s-smilie:. Therefore I went for my second choice which was engineering. What's funny is that today I realised that I like the idea of inventing things more than the whole engineering business side of things if that makes sense. Why can't I just become an inventor instead? Lol is there a course rather than engineering that could help support an inventor and their ideas?

Sadly I'm not sure such a course exists :no: I was lucky in that my mum's a musician, so my dad just went along with the idea of me studying music without making a fuss :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by mishieru07
I think it really depends on your views towards the alternative. I mean, I do find my subject (Law) interesting, but I wouldn't say I'm very passionate about it - I picked it by process of elimination, rather than by knowing that was the one thing I absolutely wanted to do. I certainly don't have the same level of interest across all of my modules either, I much prefer Administrative law to Jurisprudence, for instance. Obviously, being very passionate might make the long hours of studying less dire because you find everything really interesting, but you certainly can get by in Oxford by just being interested enough. On the other hand, if you dislike your subject and only took it for job prospects/ because your parents insisted etc, you might struggle.

With respect to getting a job, again it boils down to how you see both alternatives. I would say that liking what you do certainly helps make things feel less like a chore. However, I personally think the key thing is that you cannot dread or hate your job. As long as you find it interesting enough, you should be all right, even if you aren't as happy/ fulfilled. On the other hand, it becomes a real struggle if you really dislike what you're doing, because the average person spends a huge amount of time working. Especially if you're in a very high paying job, because that tends to equate to longer hours as well. I haven't actually started working yet though, so this is conjecture on my part.

What sort of careers/ subjects are you potentially interested in pursuing aside from engineering? :smile:

Thank you. You've helped me decide and be frank with my whole situation. See, the thing is my main passion lies in the performing/singing side of things. However my parents especially my father do not think I should focus on that right now and instead receive an education. So I was told go for the second option. I'm scared that I wouldn't know what I want and then end up in career where I'm miserable...
Thank you. You've helped me decide and be frank with my whole situation. See, the thing is my main passion lies in the performing/singing side of things. However my parents especially my father do not think I should focus on that right now and instead receive an education. So I was told go for the second option. I'm scared that I wouldn't know what I want and then end up in career where I'm miserable...

If you ended up going somewhere like Oxford - there is such a massive drama/music scene in the background!

There are so many famous actors/actresses who went and did a normal degree at Oxbridge and then went into performing.

My advice would be, do an academic degree that you're interested in - and then get involved with drama etc in your spare time :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Lucilou101
If you ended up going somewhere like Oxford - there is such a massive drama/music scene in the background!

There are so many famous actors/actresses who went and did a normal degree at Oxbridge and then went into performing.

My advice would be, do an academic degree that you're interested in - and then get involved with drama etc in your spare time :smile:

Really? Ah, that sounds great! I would never think that Oxford would have some sort of drama/musical background. Yea, I think I'm going to do that. My fear though is not having time. All that studying and long hours in the library would interfere with everything. Props to you guys seriously. I have three cousins who go to Oxbridge. The one who is in Oxford tells me her experiences with studying. Since then I wondered if it would be possible to maintain good grades in order to pass the course and go for a performing based career outside of everything also. Yet again one would think for me to be in uni studying a course, my career would be around that. I think too much grrr:angry:
Really? Ah, that sounds great! I would never think that Oxford would have some sort of drama/musical background. Yea, I think I'm going to do that. My fear though is not having time. All that studying and long hours in the library would interfere with everything. Props to you guys seriously. I have three cousins who go to Oxbridge. The one who is in Oxford tells me her experiences with studying. Since then I wondered if it would be possible to maintain good grades in order to pass the course and go for a performing based career outside of everything also. Yet again one would think for me to be in uni studying a course, my career would be around that. I think too much grrr:angry:

You don't really need to worry about it right now :smile:

Just enjoy your studies, career worries only really come in the latter years of your degree.

Do a bit of googling and research the Oxford Dramatic Society etc - you'll find loads about the drama and music going on in Oxford!

There's plenty of people that manage to do all their work and get involved in sports, drama etc - it's all about balancing your time.
Ngl, I'm more passionate about languages than the science degree I intend to pursue but I enjoy both enough!
Hi,

I think your teacher was trying to inspire you into finding your passion, which certainly is good life advice. If you have doubts that is healthy to though, , and I think you're taking your teacher a little too literally atm.

As to the job question. .. of course not. Most of your waking time in your life will be spent doing your job. Doing something you don't like is a great way to waste your life.
Reply 16
Original post by Lucilou101
You don't really need to worry about it right now :smile:

Just enjoy your studies, career worries only really come in the latter years of your degree.

Do a bit of googling and research the Oxford Dramatic Society etc - you'll find loads about the drama and music going on in Oxford!

There's plenty of people that manage to do all their work and get involved in sports, drama etc - it's all about balancing your time.

Ah, I feel so much better. Thank you x
Reply 17
Original post by nexttime
I think your teacher was trying to inspire you into finding your passion, which certainly is good life advice. If you have doubts that is healthy to though, , and I think you're taking your teacher a little too literally atm.

As to the job question. .. of course not. Most of your waking time in your life will be spent doing your job. Doing something you don't like is a great way to waste your life.

Oh, lol. Yea, I tend to over think everything. They say I am very type A? :smile:
I'm happy that there are people who wouldn't trade jobs just because of money, leaving their passions behind. It's quite motivating hearing from you guys. Thanks.
x

I guess I am 'passionate' about English, even if it is a pretty cringe-inducing way of putting it. There are definitely people studying subjects here just because it's what they were best at rather than because they're consumed by some sort of 'passion' for it, or because it seemed like the most pragmatic choice to make for the kind of career they wanted. I have pretty much always wanted to study my subject but I know people who changed subjects in their first week at Cambridge so I really think this whole 'passion' thing is exaggerated a bit. What they're really after is just an engagement with the subject that goes beyond the A-Level syllabus.

This definitely isn't something to put you off applying. Lots of people at Oxbridge hate their subjects.
Reply 19
I'm very passionate about maths and can't wait to study it this October at Warwick :biggrin:

Quick Reply